Author Topic: B17G Thunder Bird pics  (Read 696 times)

Offline SpunCopper

• Zinc Member
      • WWII Aviation
B17G Thunder Bird pics
« on: August 22, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »
I live in Galveston, TX and I've seen the B17G flying around all summer, taken pictures and while very cool its not uncommon. Last weekend I happened to be a couple blocks from the museum and saw the B17 lining up on the runway and decided I'd go watch it land. I didn't get there in time but I figured I'd see if I could catch a glimpse of her taxiing. I waited, I could hear her but I figured they brought her over to one of the hangers. It was kind of depressing! Suddenly she pops out from behind the hanger, makes a slow left turn, engines blasting, doors open and taxis right up to me. Within 20 yards. I almost climbed the fence. I was the first in line at the Lone Star Flight Museum that day. I headed straight out to the runway, they had set up the barricades for the ropes around the B17 so i started snapping pictures. I was the only one there and the crew chief hollers at me and says "Hey! You can come over and take a closer look. I cant let you inside but you can get as close as you want."   :rock  I spent a good 30-45mins taking pics and asking about the plane. I didnt notice but a group of 20 people or so had gathered at the ropes and they couldnt get any closer. I basically got a private tour. What an experience! I shook the chiefs hand and told him how much I appreciated it, crossed the ropes, smiled at the folks standing there and proceeded on my tour of the museum. I highly recommend Lone Star, its not the biggest, the collection of planes is fairly small. But they have some very original stuff and the people are very knowledgable, friendly and many of them are vets who actually flew the planes.

Heres a link to my new, in progress photobucket library, please browse through the pictures and albums, leave comments and pick out your favorites.   :cheers:

http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/SpunCopper/library/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:13:54 PM by SpunCopper »
"Lifes not hard, you're just soft."

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: B17G Thunder Bird
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 05:00:10 PM »
 :aok

cool ty for sharing

:salute
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline SpunCopper

• Zinc Member
      • WWII Aviation
Re: B17G Thunder Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »
Thanks! Hope y'all like the pics!

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
Re: B17G Thunder Bird pics
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »
LS flight Museum is a great way to spend an afternoon.  My goal this year is to take a ride in 'Galveston Gal'.  About 40,000 more pennies and I am there  :aok

Offline SpunCopper

• Zinc Member
      • WWII Aviation
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »
I'd love it. Still saving for a ride on the Thunder Bird. :)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:14:59 PM »
Thanks for the pics. <S>

Offline SpunCopper

• Zinc Member
      • WWII Aviation