Author Topic: need opinion  (Read 445 times)

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
need opinion
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »
hey all did any one checked DCS ? Digital combat simulator ...

I run in to this movie on you tube today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTvsyCsQP2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTvsyCsQP2U

I am wondering if the game is worth buy...

appreciate any feedback from anyone who tried DCS...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:18:15 AM by hotcoffe »
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
Re: need opinion
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »
This topic is headed to the O'Club....that being said:

I like it.  But DCS is pretty broad and you dont have to "buy" it to "try" it.  Just download it and you get one plane to try for free (Su-25 Frogfoot).  I own Flamming Cliffs 3 and am considering others in the series.  I am also waiting on the first third party add on to be released:

http://www.dcs-mig21.com/index.htm
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »
Thnx alot
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:34:04 AM »
BTW, they do sell a version of the SU-25 as a separate module on the download page.  I think the difference with that one is its up to to the "Flamming Cliffs 3" standard.  If you own FC3 you get it automatically.  They changed some stuff recently so it's kinda hard to understand.

Be ready for some serious immersion.  It's not for the faint of heart.  Think Falcon 4.0 ramp starting, if you are familiar with that game.

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »
well I really dont like modern warfare...

I was planing to buy that WWII P51 package they have... But it wont hurt the check the free version first.

did you tried the WWII package yet? any insights on that one ?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:13:02 AM by hotcoffe »
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »
I have not but I hear it is very interesting.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »
DCS World is the free to play standalone version that comes with the Su-25 and it's $30 afterwards for each of the 'modules'.  I think they are planning on the same business model for the upcoming DCS WW2 title.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
A-10 is probably the most complex of the available modules.  I mean insanely complex, just watch some uTube training videos on what you have to do just to set up an attack, of navigate, or whatever - it's amazing though, and rewarding fun once you put the time in.

Flaming Cliffs 3 while advanced, is nowhere NEAR as complex as the A10 sim, and can be jumped into fairly quickly once you figure out how to set up your HOTAS (PITA and has to be replicated for each aircraft), as well as how some of the radar modes and weapons modes work.  There are some fantastic videos if you do a search for FC3 DCS on uTube, some great 4 v many with the F15 videos, as well as the same with all the Sukoi and Mig models. 

I would recommend getting the free Su25 and trying it out, then FC3 next, unless you have a LOT of time on your hands and want to jump into the A10 DCS module. 

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 01:39:57 PM »
A-10 is probably the most complex of the available modules.  I mean insanely complex....(snip)

Yup.  One of the reasons I haven't bought it yet....I just don't have the time anymore to devote to a single game just to get the damn thing off the ground.  :D

Black Shark 2 is supposed to be nearly as complex.  I haven't bought it because...well...it's a helo sim.  I like wings on my aircraft thank you very much!  :old:

I will devote the time for the MiG-21 third party add-on.  That looks amazing and it's one of my favorite planes of all-time. 

Agree with the comments on FC3.  It's only marginally more complex than FC2.  But its not "easy" by any stretch of the imagination.

Now if someone would just do a module for the Mirage III and F-8 Crusader.   :aok

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »
I have their Helo sim too, and like A10, I haven't even begun to figure either out, even after watching all of the uTube walkthroughs and such. 

FC3 is pretty complex compared to most sims, maybe a little less than the new Falcon 4 mods out there, but much, MUCH higher than the point and shoot types around.  I really like it, some of the AI is pretty decent too, getting into scraps with swarms of Mig29's in the F15 with track IR running is pretty amazing on my system with everything maxed out.

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 03:32:31 PM »
I just watch couple hours of A-10 videos on you tube, it looks really realistic... i mean really realistic but way to complex just to jump in a plane and fly couple quick sorties...

in one of the videos the guy spent like 45mins only on pre launch check list....
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 11:14:15 AM »
Yup.  One of the reasons I haven't bought it yet....I just don't have the time anymore to devote to a single game just to get the damn thing off the ground.  :D

Black Shark 2 is supposed to be nearly as complex.  I haven't bought it because...well...it's a helo sim.  I like wings on my aircraft thank you very much!  :old:

I will devote the time for the MiG-21 third party add-on.  That looks amazing and it's one of my favorite planes of all-time. 

Agree with the comments on FC3.  It's only marginally more complex than FC2.  But its not "easy" by any stretch of the imagination.

Now if someone would just do a module for the Mirage III and F-8 Crusader.   :aok

Now that I think about it I am surprised that nobody has done a Mirage III simulator yet considering all the conflicts it has taken part in.
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
Now that I think about it I am surprised that nobody has done a Mirage III simulator yet considering all the conflicts it has taken part in.

Oh...there is one.  Third Wire's Strike Fighters 2 series models the Mirage III.  Great fun...but has a simplistic flight and weapon model.  Nothing like DCS but still a lot of fun.