Author Topic: IL2 wings  (Read 1327 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
IL2 wings
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »
Are they supposed to be able to withstand 2-3 accurately placed 30mm Mk108 rounds?

This is a question not a whine, I just want to be able to know for sure how long I need to hold the 2ndary fire button down.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
Re: IL2 wings
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
The first two rounds bounced off the thick, almost Tiger II like armor plating.  Soviet engineering at its finest.   :rolleyes:

;)
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 07:35:19 PM »
New candidate for the drone circle and single shot dismantling to see how many 30mm it takes per wing?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »
The machine gun on a T34 took the wing off my IL2 twice in a row last night. I was thinking the Il2 should be a bit tougher  :headscratch:
Lighten up Francis

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »
I would rather have a "man of the Coad" give the specifics bustr.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 04:47:34 PM »
If you have a film, then we can give an accurate answer.  There are too many variables involved to simply speculate.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »
 :salute gees when I am flying il2 they go down fast.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 05:46:20 AM »
 :rofl Skuzzy moved this to the "help and training" forum! I think he's trying to tell ya something Dolby  :D
Lighten up Francis

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 06:20:27 AM »
:rofl Skuzzy moved this to the "help and training" forum! I think he's trying to tell ya something Dolby  :D

It is a legitimate question, but without a film, it is simply too broad in scope to accurately answer.

If you want a general answer.  Each round does X amount of damage to a component.  Once the component reaches X amount of damage, it fails.  A wing is comprised of several components.  Is it possible to hit it and not do critical damage?  Yes.  Does a 30mm round do more damage than a 20mm round?  Given an equal parameter of velocity, then yes it does.

With a film, we can tell exactly what was hit and how much damage is done.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 07:28:19 AM »
Uptown, It's nice to see you in the Training forum, it's a good place for you to start :)

Skuzzy, I am currently on and off searching through 50  films looking for the particular 10 second encounter.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 30mm fire only HE shells?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Brakechk

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 04:00:56 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 30mm fire only HE shells?

I believe so.  It's been my experience that the vast majority of the time a 30mm hit from a 109K does catastrophic damage to a fighter.  Most bombers can soak up a few rounds, but I have a difficult time hitting the same place twice.  I have had fighters take a hit and suffer no visable damage and need to hit them again to get the big damage.  I think it has to do with where I've hit the fighters...so nose hits I've smoked the engine but not killed it.  I've also noticed it happening on a dead six tail shot.  The IL2 is pretty tough and I usually attempt to get multiple hits on them (hold down the trigger for multiple rounds vs trying to fire just one round at a time.)  I've never went back and reviewed the films of where I'm hitting when I don't end the fight with one hit.  I've always assumed that the hit occured somewhere on the plane that didn't include any vital components....it is a pretty rare occurance though. On bombers it's pretty easy to see where I'm hitting....which is usually a string of shots on the body of the plane and in those cases it's easy to understand how they can take a lot of hits. 

Zaphod
Brakechk/Zaphod

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 11:40:38 PM »
Then wouldn't the 30mm have a relatively consistent effect against aircraft?

I mean with a 30mm HE round, I would think velocity would have a minimal effect on damage.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:50 AM »
IL-2 has wooden wings on some models :headscratch: not what sure what we have in AHII now. I know a Mossie XVI can take a few hits before they go down wooden wings also.

In particular watch the right drone it will drift to the left side & it takes several hits before it crashes.

From what I recall wood takes the punishment better than metal.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7m26925d3d5z7xc/mossie_16_kills_with_262_0353.ahf
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:32:53 AM by lyric1 »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 06:17:10 AM »
Then wouldn't the 30mm have a relatively consistent effect against aircraft?

I mean with a 30mm HE round, I would think velocity would have a minimal effect on damage.

If you consistently hit precisely the same spot, with the same round, from the same distance, and at the same angle, the effects will be consistent.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese