Author Topic: B-17G  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Dead87

• Zinc Member
B-17G
« on: January 21, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
Where are they getting the info from..that the b-17G had 13 guns on it??????? lets do the math...well do the 2s first..
2 in nose,
2 on top
2 on bottom
2 on tail, thats 8 so far...
Then both side guns, ....10....and then the cheek gun, 11...wheres the other 2???

If anything another cheek gun...12....wheres the other one??? and no the radio guy didnt have a gun in his compartment...hes the one who went to use the cheek gun, plus theres only 10 guys...

2 pilots....no guns,
top turret gunner
bottom turret gunner
2 waist gunners,
tail gunner
nose gunner/bombardier
navigator,
radio man/cheek gunner.....wheres the other guns??? :bhead its even said in books that it had 13...yet the pictures ive seen only have 11....

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: B-17G
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »
Where are they getting the info from..that the b-17G had 13 guns on it??????? lets do the math...well do the 2s first..
2 in nose,
2 on top
2 on bottom
2 on tail, thats 8 so far...
Then both side guns, ....10....and then the cheek gun, 11...wheres the other 2???

If anything another cheek gun...12....wheres the other one??? and no the radio guy didnt have a gun in his compartment...hes the one who went to use the cheek gun, plus theres only 10 guys...

2 pilots....no guns,
top turret gunner
bottom turret gunner
2 waist gunners,
tail gunner
nose gunner/bombardier
navigator,
radio man/cheek gunner.....wheres the other guns??? :bhead its even said in books that it had 13...yet the pictures ive seen only have 11....

Methinks you're mistaken about the radio op running all the way to the nose to man the cheek gun(s).

Offline Dead87

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
Finally get to see the real G version...well maybe a later model of the G...but clearly those pics have 13 guns.......now how come this isnt in game?????

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »
Probably because a player cannot man more than one gun position at a time (two players man 2 positions if you take on a gunner). The radio gun position is limited and redundant so players would likely man the upper turret. The cheeks are the same with players likely operating the forward turret. If both the pilot and gunner players are gunning, they will likely cover different angles.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 03:02:01 PM »
Finally get to see the real G version...well maybe a later model of the G...but clearly those pics have 13 guns.......now how come this isnt in game?????
We have a later version were the radio gun was removed.  Ours has the other twelve guns.  Later they removed the waist guns and gunners too.  The radio gun and waist guns were rather ineffective.

Probably because a player cannot man more than one gun position at a time (two players man 2 positions if you take on a gunner). The radio gun position is limited and redundant so players would likely man the upper turret. The cheeks are the same with players likely operating the forward turret. If both the pilot and gunner players are gunning, they will likely cover different angles.
The cheek guns are actually present though, and they do fire.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:03:37 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »
We have a later version were the radio gun was removed.  Ours has the other twelve guns.  Later they removed the waist guns and gunners too.  The radio gun and waist guns were rather ineffective.
The cheek guns are actually present though, and they do fire.
Waist gunners exist.

And I have plenty of kills with them! ~ said no one ever  :D
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 03:24:07 PM »
Waist gunners exist.

And I have plenty of kills with them! ~ said no one ever  :D
I didn't say they didn't exist.  I said that in an earlier version of the G than we have the radio gun was there, and in a later version of the G than we have the waist gunners and guns were removed.

We have an intermediate version that includes the waist gunners, in staggered position, but not the radio compartment gun.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 03:27:24 PM »
I didn't say they didn't exist.  I said that in an earlier version of the G than we have the radio gun was there, and in a later version of the G than we have the waist gunners and guns were removed.

We have an intermediate version that includes the waist gunners, in staggered position, but not the radio compartment gun.
:headscratch:

I've never heard of a 17G without waist guns.
Do not run.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »
:headscratch:

I've never heard of a 17G without waist guns.

:headscratch: Me neither.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
:headscratch: Me neither.
As a matter if fact, every B-17 model had waist turrets, even the B-17D!
Do not run.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
Removed in the field late in the war.  Reduced the crew and weight of the aircraft.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 03:38:39 PM »
Removed in the field late in the war.  Reduced the crew and weight of the aircraft.
Find me proof and you sir will have some cookies in the mail tomorrow.  :D
Do not run.

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »
B-17s did fly with only one or no waist gunners in 1945.  The Luftwaffe was very rare at that time.  I can't remember what source I read this from.  Also, HiTech said the reason we don't have the radio room 50cal is due to us having the two cheek guns.  It might make the B-17 overpowered.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »
Find me proof and you sir will have some cookies in the mail tomorrow.  :D

Cpl Fred E. Ehret (WG) - Was removed from the crew before arrival at Molesworth when the crew was changed from ten to nine men. Did not fly on any 303rd BG(H) combat missions.
http://www.303rdbg.com/358glass.html

Sgt Anthony Medici (WG). Removed from crew before the 1Lt Lee Crew's first mission. The second Waist Gunner position was deleted from 358th BS combat crews. Flew no 303rd BG(H) combat missions. Transferred out of 358th BS on 18 July 1944. A substitute Waist Gunner was used on mission 184 (19 June 1944) - the only 1Lt Lee mission where two Waist Gunners were used.
http://www.303rdbg.com/358lee.html

I am sure you will find many more at http://www.303rdbg.com/crew-photo.html

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 10:36:44 PM »

Radioroom gun was omitted about mid 1944.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"