Author Topic: Some odd things happened to me last night  (Read 388 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Some odd things happened to me last night
« on: February 06, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »
I attribute this to the goings on with the ice storms in my part of the world yesterday and figured there might be some related hiccups on the net, but saw some things I don't recall seeing ever before so I thought I'd pass it along.

1) I took a long range pot shot at an enemy, hit him a couple of times and must have hit a friendly trailing him. I got a "shot myself" message twice and had pilot wounded myself. Never had that one before! Damaged the plane itself sure but never a pilot wound.

2) I think after I'd died that run I went to take off. I roll down the runway, lift off, bring up my gear. Engines cut out and I pancake on the runway and get "auto takeoff is enabled". I never have that enabled and checked the flags to confirm. Was off. At the same time this happened there was a guy taking off in front of me. He was 2K out and I saw his icon disappear and he augered into the drink ahead. Didn't see him up again.

3) A while later I killed a guy in a Spit, just the two of us around. Took his wing off, got the "shot yourself" message. Got no kill or assist.

4) Oh and what was with the orange text last night? That for the "special" ones?
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Re: Some odd things happened to me last night
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
I landed a formation of Tu-2's after taking out a VH and radar.  Got the message of landed successfully, but no "SWchef landed ****damage..."  2 squadies landed at another base with their bombers about 5 min later and the messages displayed.

:headscratch:
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:43:59 PM »
This post from Caldera may be related in a roundabout way: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,358940.0.html
Some of the long leash issue may be lag related as maybe the killshoot problems. Not saying either it isn't a bug or anomaly that could use attention.

Last week when ice storms slowed thing down around the south east I had a fight with TUs and shot at a drone that was swinging wide. Got "shot yourself" messages but did damage the drone. My 1st instinct was that a gunner had joined but had not fully registered. I am on 56K. Forgot to save film.

Last night the same thing happened against Lancs. This time I saw good hit but nothing fell off. Reviewed film and saw nothing out of sorts. No gunner or friendly. Hit rewind and play. The drone was in tighter formation and I was shooting at air. Hit rewind and play again. I was shooting at a friendly Bish P-51D with no pilot name. Then the viewer crashed.

Could be a film viewer thing, but strange nun the less.
Am embarrassed at my performance on that sortie, but will forward film to HTC on request.

Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »
I attribute this to the goings on with the ice storms in my part of the world yesterday and figured there might be some related hiccups on the net, but saw some things I don't recall seeing ever before so I thought I'd pass it along.

1) I took a long range pot shot at an enemy, hit him a couple of times and must have hit a friendly trailing him. I got a "shot myself" message twice and had pilot wounded myself. Never had that one before! Damaged the plane itself sure but never a pilot wound.

(...)
3) A while later I killed a guy in a Spit, just the two of us around. Took his wing off, got the "shot yourself" message. Got no kill or assist.

It seems you can killshoot yourself on an enemy, probably connected with AI taking over. We already have several bug reports on that

4) Oh and what was with the orange text last night? That for the "special" ones?

You've been here for more than 10 years and don't know about the help channel?  :eek:  :lol
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:18:26 PM »
You've been here for more than 10 years and don't know about the help channel?  :eek:  :lol
They recently tied Help Ch to your country and turned it on in everyones text preferences. You can right click on the All Tab in the text buffer and switch it off if you want.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:24:02 PM »
Yeah I knew it was help. I looked to see if I'd tuned to it but hadn't.  Didn't know about the country channel tie in thingy.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »
I shot a floating truck tonight at about 7800 AGL but didn't get the kill, lol.  It landed soft and got back in line with its convoy

Skuzzy, film is on the way
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 10:22:44 AM »
Been seeing a lot of guys I shot down somehow landing points or kills about 5 seconds after they explode when hitting the ground.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
Been seeing a lot of guys I shot down somehow landing points or kills about 5 seconds after they explode when hitting the ground.

Yeah, that was another thing.  Killed a guy and while it wasn't 5 seconds it might have been a minute and he'd landed 4 kills.  Maybe he spawned on the runway just as a 38 horde all augered?  :headscratch: Don't see how he otherwise could have hade time to takeoff, engage, shoot down and then land.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"