Author Topic: Dar Bars are broken (PROOF!)  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Dar Bars are broken (PROOF!)
« on: February 28, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
Someone was calling an alert on base A151. I took a quick look at it and saw a very tiny dar bar so just shrugged it off as not important. A minute or two later there's an alert on A151 for a huge P-38 raid. I again take a look at 151 and see a small dar bar, nothing indicating a large scale raid. A few seconds pass and I suddenly remember that dar bars are very broken and should never be trusted so I take a quick screen shot of before and after I go to 151.

This is before I go to A151. Tiny dar bar, no threat.

This is 1 second later when I switch to A151 tower. Multiple P38s over the town well over 200 feet, several more out of shot above the base at about 2-5K.

I believe this is a bug. Can we get it fixed?

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Re: Dar Bars are broken (PROOF!)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »
Popped up from NOE across the water.

Canukk is there. They'll all be dead in a minute anyway.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »
Actually they weren't NOE. Town was hit heavily by them and they had been circling the base and town for a little bit already, that's why some of them were over 3K and not on the deck.

BTW, these two screenshots are quite literally 1 second apart. Unless a P38 can somehow climb from under 200ft to 3-5,000ft in under 1 second I don't believe this was an NOE raid.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:28:51 PM by Latrobe »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 06:50:15 PM »
Just FYI it takes a while for every icon on the map to update. There is likely enough time to pop up and climb 3-5 k, depending on when your position was last updated.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »
I have had things like this too lately and recently vs my memory of when I started the game 1.5yrsish ago.

The other nite I was heading into a base in the middle of the sector, as I planned out my attack, feeling secure from anything above as there had been no dar bar the entire flight over there, pop, there's a high pony, I'm at 10kish he's at 15Kish. This base in the middle of the sector, how'd he not create a dar bar for ~8mins to get where he was? He didn't just pop into the middle of the sector, and he didn't just hop up to 15K in a matter of the dozen or so seconds it should take the entire map to update.

I'm not sure if it could be something on my end, or in Latrobe's case, something on his end that would cause not seeing a dar bar that other ppl do???
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 08:33:28 PM »
They are broken when you find 4x me163 around you and hear them near you at 35,000 feet before an enemy dar displays in your sector.

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
      • 8th AAF Squadron Website
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:06:11 PM »
I think that part of this is probably the function of radar and I could be wrong and im not EXACTLY sure how it is for the dar bar but I imagine its probably similar. I was playing around in a custom arena not to long ago looking at all the different settings and such and I noticed that there is a time cycle for the radar (assuming it may just be for the actual radar ring) and it was default to I believe every 6 seconds, so maybe its the same for dar bar as well it only updates ever 6 seconds or whatever the arena setting is, which would explain the delay in a dar bar showing up. Assuming of course that the 38's were in fact NOE before they arrived to the field. I could be way off and maybe I miss understand the settings but its just my thoughts on the matter.

:salute

8thBuff
8thBuff (CO)  8th AAF  "The Mighty 8th"  Squadron

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:47:04 PM »
It would be nice to have a description in the FAQ of how the radar bars are supposed to work.  IIRC it's more complicated than is generally assumed.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 03:21:12 AM »
it is range based being on the otherside of the map is why you didn't see it.  I believe they intended it like this so that people don't bail and instantly up at the field under attack. 

never trust scanty radar information. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 07:24:50 AM »
does not matter how far away you are. Sometimes nme ac have to be in sight to show a dar bar.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »
does not matter how far away you are. Sometimes nme ac have to be in sight to show a dar bar.

I have a screenshot of that instance too! An enemy plane at about 7K that I can visually see, less than 10K away from me and there was no dar bar. I remember on Uterus map when it was up in the MA we were hitting one of the northern bases early in the morning trying to capture it. There were 3 enemy planes at 10-15K defending and none of them were creating any dar bar. Everyone at that base saw the same thing. Most of us were even dogfighting them and still no dar bar showed. Unfortunately I don't have any screenshots of that instance.

Wonder if HTC will pop in and give us a detailed explanation of how dar bars really work. I always thought they were suppose to indicate there are enemy planes in the area and to be aware when flying in that sector.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 11:31:59 AM »
I do know that if I bust dar when flying a noe lancaster mission to down HQ, the enemy immediately sees a dar bar.

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 01:44:07 PM »
Someone was calling an alert on base A151. I took a quick look at it and saw a very tiny dar bar so just shrugged it off as not important. A minute or two later there's an alert on A151 for a huge P-38 raid. I again take a look at 151 and see a small dar bar, nothing indicating a large scale raid. A few seconds pass and I suddenly remember that dar bars are very broken and should never be trusted so I take a quick screen shot of before and after I go to 151.

This is before I go to A151. Tiny dar bar, no threat.

This is 1 second later when I switch to A151 tower. Multiple P38s over the town well over 200 feet, several more out of shot above the base at about 2-5K.

I believe this is a bug. Can we get it fixed?

LOL until I saw the pics, I had forgotten about the little anime cursor I made you.

:cheers:

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
LOL until I saw the pics, I had forgotten about the little anime cursor I made you.
You just solved the only thing that was puzzleing me about this thread. I was already aware of the broke dar bar.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 09:22:34 PM »
You just solved the only thing that was puzzleing me about this thread. I was already aware of the broke dar bar.

and me as well

:rofl
They're casting their bait over there, see?