Author Topic: Refurbished F9F-6  (Read 795 times)

Offline NavyRigger

• Zinc Member
Refurbished F9F-6
« on: March 10, 2014, 02:04:24 PM »
So my command, VX-1, is in a partnership with the museum here in Pax River and currently we have a museum displayed F9F-6 Panther (swept wing) in the hangar waiting to be repainted.  When they are done she won't be air worthy but she will look nice!  They should start work here in a few weeks but I'll soon post up a picture of what she looks like at the moment.  Walking by her nose in the hangar I can clearly see the 20mm gun ports still looking menacing.  I can only imagine what the Korean Migs felt like when they saw the same image behind them!!

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Re: Refurbished F9F-6
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:40:18 PM »
The F9F-6 is the Cougar and did not see action in the Korean Police Action. The F9F-3 Panther did get some MiG kills.

Offline NavyRigger

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »
Ah yes!  I stand corrected.  Though I did read somewhere that the Courgar did see brief action in Vietnam at the outbreak of hostilities, but only against ground targets and again… only briefly.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:37:37 PM »
The F9F-6 is the Cougar and did not see action in the Korean Police Action. The F9F-3 Panther did get some MiG kills.

Most of the MiG kills were in the F9F-5.... Most were not actually part of the war, but related to a Soviet intimidation game that went awry. At least 3 Soviet MiG-15 bis splashed by reservists flying the -5 Panther.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 05:57:10 PM »
Four MiG-15s were downed on 18 November 1952 by Lt. Royce Williams of VF-781, flying off the carrier Oriskany during a series of air strikes against the North Korean port of Hoeryong, right across the mouth of the Yalu River from the major Soviet base at Vladivostok. Williams' victories were notable because all four were flown by Soviet Naval Aviation pilots.

Confirmed by the Soviets.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »
Four MiG-15s were downed on 18 November 1952 by Lt. Royce Williams of VF-781, flying off the carrier Oriskany during a series of air strikes against the North Korean port of Hoeryong, right across the mouth of the Yalu River from the major Soviet base at Vladivostok. Williams' victories were notable because all four were flown by Soviet Naval Aviation pilots.

Confirmed by the Soviets.

The one problem with William's claim is that he waited decades until the other two pilots involved were dead before he claimed all four. The Navy saw and still sees it a bit different.

Royce Williams: 1 Kill, one damaged (gun camera). Claims to have shot down 4 MiGs, 6 months after Rowlands' death.
David Rowlands: Initially, 1 damaged. Changed to 1 kill (Soviet confirmation years later). Williams has argued that Rowlands' guns had malfunctioned and he was unable to fire. However, the maintenance report for Rowlands' F9F states "242 rounds 20mm expended". Rowlands commented on the MiG he whacked, "I shot the sh≥t out him." The interview with Rowlands was done in early 1998. Rowlands died in early 2000.
John Middleton: 1 Kill (gun camera).

I've read the after action reports, read the interviews at the time and decades later. I provided material for the article where Williams announced that he had shot down all four MiGs. Naturally, this claim was made after Rowlands and Middleton were dead. My personal opinion of Royce went straight to the crapper.

So, I'll give Williams credit for two, but the other two belong to the other gentlemen. No revisionist nonsense can overcome facts. Still, the gullible will believe it, because there's no one left to dispute it. Except that is for folks like me and John Bruning.

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline NavyRigger

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »
Apologies, I did not get a chance to log into the computer last night. Will up load the pics tonight after work.  Currently the command is waiting for funding from the museum before repainting her.  Last time they did a S-3 Viking and it was absolutely beautiful when they were done.

Offline NavyRigger

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 12:10:52 PM »
As promised, sorry they were so late getting put up.

Offline NavyRigger

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 12:11:55 PM »
it would appared that a couple of the pics didnt come out right, i will try again tonight to get better angles.