Author Topic: Getting Familiar With Planes  (Read 1008 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Re: Getting Familiar With Planes
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 05:41:08 AM »
I'm surprised that nobody pointed to this one:

http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Aircraft_of_Aces_High_II

This page contains lots of information about the planes, flying styles and so on. Just
reading it helps a lot to understand planes and their capabilities

You asked for example about F6F: http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/F6F-5

Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 07:07:47 AM »
To me there is no better testing than the dueling arena.  Just don't pay any attention to the few bad apples there.  Just takeoff stay at that altitude to test the plane at an altitude disadvantage.

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 10:45:04 AM »
To me there is no better testing than the dueling arena.  Just don't pay any attention to the few bad apples there.  Just takeoff stay at that altitude to test the plane at an altitude disadvantage.

I have been doing that and basically getting my back side handed to me. At this point my goal is to become a harder target. I'm amazed at the skill level of some of the sticks in there.

Thanks for the links posted above. Going to read them now. Thanks for all input..
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »

I have been doing that and basically getting my back side handed to me. . .

Oh how true.  Happens to me all the time but you know what, each fight I learn something.  If I go in with the same E and comparable plane then it is just another dogfight.  What you start noticing is the weakness in each plane and the kinds of people that choose that plane.  I still have a very long way to go too but I am getting better.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 11:38:29 AM »
The first plane I learned was the a6m3. The a6m3 is the one I learned for a reason, unlike the ki43 you can't out turn everything (close to it but not everything). And with that I think you really start to learn what the other planes can do inrelation to yours.

For example fighting against a ki43 in a a6m3 I would:

1: merge and get into the classic low speed turn fight
2: wait till the ki43 gets about 180* parallel to me in the turn and break off
3: extend until I get about 600 from the ki43 and break into him, turning a flat turn at first then start to pull up, wait for him to overshoot and roll back into him for a snap shot
4: repeat if you missed

And really every other plane you have to think about what you're going to do.

Fly the a6m and never complain about how another plane can't take bullets, because one good shot with a 20mm and a6m is a flamer.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »
I have been doing that and basically getting my back side handed to me. At this point my goal is to become a harder target. I'm amazed at the skill level of some of the sticks in there.

Thanks for the links posted above. Going to read them now. Thanks for all input..
Have read up on and learned BFM?  That's foundational to air combat.  Get a grip on BFM and you'll be well on your way.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »
I have worked on my BFM's and I feel like I'm well on my way to being a better combat pilot. One thing that has helped me is flying all the popular models and learning what they can and cant do, within reason. I say with in reason because I still have those moments where you wonder how on earth did they do that (  :salute ).  I continue to learn as time goes on. Each comment shared has helped tremendously. Thanks...
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
Schedule some time with a trainer, or if you are interested in a particular plane, ask around for someone who knows it. My best advice is to listen to the trainers first to avoid getting into bad habits. Read, read and read some more. Compare the performance charts so you know what each plane is capable of. The toughest things to learn IMHO are Situational awareness and throttle/speed management, or at least they were when I was learning.

F6F is, as others have said, a fine plane to learn on because it has few vices and is competent, if not stellar, at almost everything. Learn which planes you can out-turn and which ones you can outrun, and fly accordingly.

Finally, work on figuring out a good convergence that works for you. There's no real good answer to that...basically you need to set the guns at the point where you are most comfortable taking a shot. I usually ping at about 400 and go for the kill at 200, so I find 300 works best for me.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 12:10:08 PM »
It is important to learn the basics first. Learn to crawl-waik-run and then get into the specifics of what the different aircraft can and can't do compared to others.  A good solid knowledge of BFM can often turn into the advantage over a superior performing aircraft flown by someone who doesn't have basic BFM skills.  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 09:26:44 PM »

I'd stay out of the DA, lately it's just turned into a stage for those who need to stroke their own ego. there is little you can learn there except how much damage your plane can take from being jumped by 4-5 guys everytime you engage somebody.

The TA has been awesome lately, lots guys in there trying to learn. and a lot of vets coming in to brush up or help teach. I helped somebody trying to learn the P38L yesterday. just followed him as close as I could while he tried to out maneuver me. I would call out what he would do that gave me trouble, and he quickly learned his advantages and disadvantages against my 1-A. And I learned just as much how to defend against that plane. 
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
If you see me in the MA send a PM and I will duel with you.  I am really only familiar with about four planes at the moment, so it would be good to experiment with whatever you happen to be flying.   And you won't die on the first or second pass either...   :)
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)