Author Topic: HE kills from tanks main guns shooting into ground  (Read 4246 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: HE kills from tanks main guns shooting into ground
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 02:40:55 PM »
I'm sorry but that's some gamey crap right there.
:aok
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »
Fin you are 69 feet above IV's elevation. I've asked in this thread, what is the maximum effective damage of the upward blast in AH? I don't think anyone has stated on that. Pervert was at ~140 ft, double your altitude. I see it more likely to happen at 69ft than 140ft, however I'd imagine it should be more like 30 or 40 feet, just a guess there. I say max effective, in that AH only counts strikes when you fire gun/cannon when you actually hit, so max effective range in this case should be a blast that would cause some damage everytime.

We know this doesn't happen at 500ft so it's obviously coded into the game.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 03:10:40 PM »
A while back several squad members conducted an experiment with the various GV's & HE rounds. We had one of us park in a GV backed up against a bomber hanger & we shot rounds at the hangar at various heights & distances along the wall. We were surprised at how big a blast radius he took hits from even though none were shot at him directly.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 03:17:41 PM »
Fin you are 69 feet above IV's elevation. I've asked in this thread, what is the maximum effective damage of the upward blast in AH? I don't think anyone has stated on that. Pervert was at ~140 ft, double your altitude. I see it more likely to happen at 69ft than 140ft, however I'd imagine it should be more like 30 or 40 feet, just a guess there. I say max effective, in that AH only counts strikes when you fire gun/cannon when you actually hit, so max effective range in this case should be a blast that would cause some damage everytime.

We know this doesn't happen at 500ft so it's obviously coded into the game.

Actually re watched the whole video from that sortie, prior to my getting killed it turns out I had a 'near miss' with him doing the same thing you can hear the explosion 'clipping' the aircraft as it exits. You can actually see here in my screenshot something striking the plane. IV himself told me that he trys to shoot exactly as the plane is over his tank, in this video you can see him reacting to me making my run, he tries to get his gun elevated high enough, sees that I am coming in to steep and turns the tank to avoid the shot, this is no FE lag.

alt seems to have less bearing as width, this is a box a cube around the explosion, this means someone can fire even if a plane has passed them and there is a chance the plane will get caught in the box.

Here is another film with the near strike.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=361289.0;attach=19114

Watch it, IV is reacting to what I am doing in his attack run, this is nothing to do with lag or FE

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 04:37:20 PM »
Finn how many attempt did it take him to take your wing off? I see a couple of craters there?

On my film at the point of impact this is what I was

Kill
alt - 68 ft
distance - 61 ft

Near miss
alt - 105 ft
distance - 41 feet

Anyone fancy setting up a custom arena to test any of this? It should be reproducable to get an idea of what shape the explosion is modelled at

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »
Finn how many attempt did it take him to take your wing off? I see a couple of craters there?

One ......the craters are from tanks shooting at IV.
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »

alt seems to have less bearing as width, this is a box a cube around the explosion, this means someone can fire even if a plane has passed them and there is a chance the plane will get caught in the box.

Sorry, but it's more like a sphere, as it should be. You can ask Hitech or Pyro directly and they will tell you that the damage falls off with distance. You will have the same effect when you shell hangars. You do not need to hit the hangar to kill it, but the amount of damage drops off with distance and so the number of tank rounds required to kill a hangar increases as more rounds miss. At some point the damage is zero because the distance is too long. Also, HE rounds from tanks work slightly different than bombs. Bombs also have a blast radius, and so the blast radius works the same and AH is consistent in that regard. However, if a bomb does not carry enough damage to penetrate the armor then the tank survives. It should be obvious to you that you are (ridiculously) requesting that an aircraft be capable of absorbing more damage than a tank and still survive every time you (whoever is making the request) suggest that an HE round should not damage your plane.

Just ask yourself if you think that buzzing the ground through an artillery barrage is a good idea. It's not gamey. You are fighting physics.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 07:56:04 PM »
It should be obvious to you that you are (ridiculously) requesting that an aircraft be capable of absorbing more damage than a tank and still survive every time you (whoever is making the request) suggest that an HE round should not damage your plane.

When did I request that?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 08:04:09 PM »
I did not specify you (pervert). That's why that part (whoever is making the request) bit is in there. But let's be intellectually honest here. If you start off saying "that's gamey" or "no tank ever did that," what you are asking for is that an airplane to either absorb the damage, or to be transparent to it.

Now THAT would be gamey.

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 08:19:54 PM »
I did not specify you (pervert). That's why that part (whoever is making the request) bit is in there. But let's be intellectually honest here. If you start off saying "that's gamey" or "no tank ever did that," what you are asking for is that an airplane to either absorb the damage, or to be transparent to it.

Now THAT would be gamey.

Who did make the request then? Oh you just made that part up didn't you?

I am asking for facts, thats all I am interested in, since your the only one commenting on the shape of the discharge and you have just proven to me that you have a tendency to steer towards assumption before waiting for facts...I will have to discount your opinion as unreliable  :)

Probably the best thing to do is for me to test it myself ingame.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »
Anyone else think this is quite gamey?

Proof that it's you that is unreliable. Just keep making things up as you go. That's a safe play.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 09:38:26 PM »
Proof that it's you that is unreliable. Just keep making things up as you go. That's a safe play.

^ Shh...you hear that?...that, is the sound of an assumption!  :D you should copyright that and stick it your next soundpack  :D

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 10:13:32 PM »
It's a conclusion, not an assumption. You lost the argument and now you have nothing. Your thread has now devolved into a purse fight between you and semantics. You're losing that too.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 11:30:45 PM »
It is gamey if the modeling is oversimplified, for instance a shot delivered with considerable lateral velocity producing a perfectly vertical blast column / sphere what-have you. Presumably there is some real-world restraint precluding this tactic that AH does not model.

Seems to my untrained eye to be as gamey as rocket jumping in quake.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2014, 02:34:07 AM »
If challenged would even bother reading the posts or even watch the films, he thought I was dropping bombs, and didn't even bother to look at the film to see what model of tank it was  :lol I do have a problem with getting hit by a blast after I pass it, as you can see in the 2nd video the guy is clearly reacting to dodge me, it adds up to not being to much of condescending c$%t that you actually read people's posts rather leap to wild assumptions  :rofl.

Challenged you list your source as your own experience in game, show me the post that says the blast are spherical, I'm not saying they aren't but you do have a bit of a rep for spoofing so I'm not kidding when I say I want to see some more hard evidence.