Author Topic: Bulgarian Panzer  (Read 795 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Bulgarian Panzer
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:49:49 AM »
Thanks to Lyric1 for providing the info for this skin.

This is a Panzer IV H of the Bulgarian Armoured Brigade in late 1944. Bulgaria was an ally of Germany for much of the war although not a very active one. During this time Germany sold the Bulgarian army mostly obsolete French and Czech armour but also 97 Panzer IVs. However this armour was turned against them when in September 1944 the Bulgarian resistance and army staged a successful coup against the puppet government. After a couple of costly engagements against prepared German anti-tank defences the Bulgarian forces used their knowledge of terrain to repeatedly outflank the Germans and force them to retreat. In this way they and their Soviet allies drove the German army from their country.

The skin is based mostly on this photo. The tank is painted in the original dark yellow German paint but with a replacement barrel in a darker colour. As some Bulgarian Panzers were repainted green I've gone with that. In Axis service the Bulgarians usually used a black diagonal cross. However on this post-coup tank a much lighter shade of cross is used. One source suggests these crosses were green but I've gone with red as this seems more likely as a means to avoid Soviet friendly fire incidents. Also the coup was Communist-led. The text on the tank represents towns where battles were fought against the Germans.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Bulgarian Panzer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:59:05 AM »
 :aok

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:00:19 PM »
 :aok

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »
SWEET!!!  It is always good to see skins of other countries used on the planes and gv's in AH.  This is very nice to have. Thanks a many!

Any sources on T34's or Panzers in the hands of Polish, Romanian, or other such satellite tankers that have notable differences in marking than the parent country? 

The T34's could use some help, too.  Especially the T34/85.  :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:38:41 AM »
Holy smoke, that rusty muffler is amazing.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »
Thanks guys. I don't know much about Soviet allies' GVs as I've never skinned any T-34s. However I do know that in WW2 Czech and Polish aircraft units tended to have little or no difference WRT aircraft markings or camo compared to Soviet ones.

The Romanian and Hungarian armies also operated Panzer IVs but I haven't found a good enough photo of one for skinning purposes.

The trick to rust is that is actually made up of two colours, new rust is a bright orange-red while older rust is a dark red-brown. So for the exhaust I just spray both colours over the area with a low density airbrush. I make separate layers for each colour and reuse the new rust layer in the bump map, with it painted white to give a rough texture.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 06:07:36 PM »

Any sources on T34's or Panzers in the hands of Polish, Romanian, or other such satellite tankers that have notable differences in marking than the parent country? 

Finland.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/finnish_forces/Panzer+IV_10.html

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/finland/photos.asp

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 08:42:13 PM »
Cool pics on the Finnish Panzer and T34's.  Too bad the T34's can't be skinned using them.

I bet somewhere there are pics of T34's in either Polish, Romy, Bulgy, Hungarian, or Yugoslavian markings.  It may have been hardly any different than the factory paint and localized unit markings of the country in question, but either way the T34/85 could use a boost in available skins.

I'll help dig.  I might even go out and buy a new book or two.   :D 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 03:13:54 AM »
I did some quick research on Finnish Panzer IVs. It seems they were too late to see action against the Soviets but were transported north for the Lappland War against the Germans. I'm getting conflicting info on whether they actually saw any action, although that would not discount them being done as a skin. The B&W photos seem to indicate a standard factory dark yellow base as on the Bulgarian tank. However preserved Finnish Panzer IVs including this one in WW2 markings show a light green colour which would be more interesting to skin. Any of our Finnish players know if the green repaint was a WW2 or post-war change?

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 04:58:40 AM »
I did some quick research on Finnish Panzer IVs. It seems they were too late to see action against the Soviets but were transported north for the Lappland War against the Germans. I'm getting conflicting info on whether they actually saw any action, although that would not discount them being done as a skin. The B&W photos seem to indicate a standard factory dark yellow base as on the Bulgarian tank. However preserved Finnish Panzer IVs including this one in WW2 markings show a light green colour which would be more interesting to skin. Any of our Finnish players know if the green repaint was a WW2 or post-war change?

This might help?

During the war machines bear the original, probably celožltú German camouflage, maybe even a classic Finnish war camouflage color. After the war, the machine schurzen stripped and painted in green camouflage paint.

http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/59715

Has a picture of an Italian Panzer IV in the above link & some more in the link below.

http://www.zimmerit.com/zimmeritpedia/italia_divisioni/ITALIA_DIV_M_CENT_II.html

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »
IIRC the Italian division training on Panzer IVs had their tanks taken away when Italy changed sides so it never became operational.

The Finnish Panzer is one I may do in future, but I'll wait a while and see if I can find any more info on them.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 01:27:15 AM »
Hey Greebs, isn't that part on the tank's "hood" in front of the driver slit & pintle an extra piece of track?  If so, shouldn't it be colored the same as the rest of the track instead of matching the color of the tank?
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 01:53:44 AM »
You are right Ranger, it is extra track. However spare tracks were often painted on Axis vehicles to help the camouflage and this looks to be the case on this tank. The photo I linked above shows the spare track links to be the same shade as the rest of the tank but a different shade to the working tracks.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »
You're right.  I'm dumb.  Thanks! :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus