Author Topic: A strange perception of the DA  (Read 8447 times)

Offline ARSNishi

• Copper Member
Re: A strange perception of the DA
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2014, 11:27:22 AM »
I think I remember "they" saying it was some concession to Fighter Ace guys coming over to AH.  That might be a figment of my imagination though.   :headscratch:
I hope this wasn't the case, because while FA's equivalent to the DA (FFA) was admittedly more "arcade-ish"....  Air spawns, everyone was a red guy, unlimited ammo, relaxed physics..... I know of no one after many years spent in that room who flew in the F3 type mode.... Behind the plane.  We had a full forward view which in essence gave you cockpit perspective crosshairs without the hinderance of the plane's nose/prop....  I suppose it could be argued that that view is almost as gamey as the F3 view but we still did our flying and shooting from the cockpit perspective. 

:salute Nishizawa

Fighter Ace vet lured to the dark side, a.k.a..  -AoM-  Fear the Mighty Mitsubishi Mounted Muppet!

Nishizwa in game, Nish or Nishi will work too

Offline s1id3r0

• Zinc Member
« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
With all the talk of fights, no fights, some fights, few fights I've wondered why the DA is so avoidable for some folks when fights are so available there.  3 v 3, 1 v 1 etc etc.  You can get all you want from anyone you'd like to fight, friendly or not, challenged, or just some practice with a friend.

As a squad we spend a lot of time there and unlike some people suggest, we don't do it to practice our "tricks" or use F3 or whatever other BS some avoiders use.  This is not just the Muppets...its the BK's, the 80th, some AK's and even Skyrr has been known to come play.  We all do it because its the only place to get an unadulterated, even fight.   The only advantage the people that actually go there have is that they learn to fight and when the need arises, don't run from a fight by making laughable excuses to protect their fragile egos in the MA or the DA.  They find no need to rationalize an excuse like tricks, F3, E fighting advantage, etc etc etc.

In the end, most players accept DA invitations and prove they are willing to fight or at least attempt to learn, actually end up earning some respect for fighting instead of working just as hard to come up with new and poignant excuses for their panzyness.  More importantly, they make a few friends.

So, what's your excuse?

You know I have no excuses.  Though I do carry a few choice observations and explanations.   
    Those who know me know that I have been flying in the DA for some time.  Other than on the VOX channels I frequent, I tend to keep my mouth shut -- as opposed to opening it and securing my spot in the hierarchy of stupidity.   I would like to think that I am known as one who doesn't HO on the first merge, one that always gives a man a chance and would never see fit to take an unfair advantage, one who loses with grace, one is never afraid to be a bit self deprecating in pointing out my errors, and generally an honorable fighter in all meetings if nothing else.  Though all these things tend to get me killed. 

With that being said, just because I choose to not HO, I do not expect that from others.  I choose to fly without enemy icons on most of the time, and always fly from 1st person, even in bombers, I turn off tracers(except in practice (though this is a bit of an advantage as well)). This does not mean that I expect others to do these things -- this just makes the game fun for me personally.

Like in chess, you get better by competing against the worst odds.  Like in football, you don't have to catch it with 2 feet in bounds until you make it pro, but the best do it in high school, and even though it counts when they don't, it is taken as a personal failure non-the-less.

I guess my point is, don't worry about what other people are doing.  If they are "gaming-the-system" they are cheating themselves, not you.  You can also easily avoid engagements with those people if you are not comfortable with their tactics.

I don't know that the DA is more or less challenging then the MA -- I think it can best be described as a more subjective experience, meaning: it is what you make it.

I like the simulation aspects of the game (so much so that I have created and use checklists, an AFD((general info that I have collected over the years(channels and desc., annotatedClipboardMaps, etc.), and created a document that fits on my kneeboard), and "Plates"), and I try to make that my focus (<<<subjective piece)-- I tend not to concern myself with others methods -- unless they seem like something that I can add to my own.  Always happy to listen and try new things though.

Over the years I have heard a lot of complaining about the tactics in the DA, and I have had my own frustrations from time to time -- though I think overall those of us that fly there the most often are a good group of guys always willing to take a fight -- no matter how many times we lose -- or what time of the morning it is. 

I think I can make a fairly good argument that we have created -- within our ranks -- a fair amount of "good sticks" now flying in the MA most of the time, that would have otherwise left the game early on in their tenure.

The real benefit of the DA I think (remember(my advice is worth what you are paying for it)) is that it makes you comfortable fighting 4 or 5 or 6 people, and choosing your targets, and using your E, ammo, and fuel wisely.  So where others would be on the deck at 150mph after a fight; and turn to run when they are low on ammo, 2 kills in the pocket, and see 3 fighters headed for them with speed; DA guys tend to turn into them and go to work. Though this isn't always a good idea, it turns out better than one would think most of the time. And it's a lot of fun! 

So in the end, it is a great training tool, a great place to learn, the fastest way to find a fight, and a great place to hang out.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
I went into the DA this night because my MA connect was poor and I'd heard that the DA was on a different server.  Don't know if this is true, but my frame rates went up in the DA.

Flew into the lake area.  Had a remarkably great fight with FBFarmer, if I recall his name correctly.  Cuervo could have entered the fight against me, but stayed out.  Mark of an oldtimer.  Farmer won anyway, and had the satisfaction of doing it on his own.

It may be that the DA gets like the MA, but tonight it seemed to me to be exactly what it should be.

- oldman

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2014, 11:34:30 PM »
I went into the DA this night because my MA connect was poor and I'd heard that the DA was on a different server.  Don't know if this is true, but my frame rates went up in the DA.

Flew into the lake area.  Had a remarkably great fight with FBFarmer, if I recall his name correctly.  Cuervo could have entered the fight against me, but stayed out.  Mark of an oldtimer.  Farmer won anyway, and had the satisfaction of doing it on his own.

It may be that the DA gets like the MA, but tonight it seemed to me to be exactly what it should be.

- oldman

There are some good folks in there.  I enjoyed learning there to be honest. 
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #244 on: April 24, 2014, 12:16:57 AM »
i dont fly in the DA much maybe ill have to give it a shot its been along time. The first person i ever met in DA was NrShida
G3-MF

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #245 on: April 24, 2014, 12:17:57 AM »
The first person i ever met in DA was NrShida
Thats the best what could happen  :aok
AoM
City of ice

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #246 on: April 24, 2014, 04:45:27 AM »
Shida is one of the best teachers in the game, IF you really want to learn. I call him my sensei because of what I was required to do....practice, practice, practice. the only reason I'm not any good, is that you must have some talent to work with, and I'm bereft of that. As for the lake at the DA, every time I make the mistake of thinking it has gotten better, I'm forced to remember why it rots.  Not worth my time. The private area with people thatI know fly well and with respect, without all the 200 style junk, is the only way I'll go in there.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2014, 05:00:38 AM »
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2014, 08:55:33 AM »
Shida is one of the best teachers in the game, IF you really want to learn. I call him my sensei because of what I was required to do....practice, practice, practice. the only reason I'm not any good, is that you must have some talent to work with, and I'm bereft of that. As for the lake at the DA, every time I make the mistake of thinking it has gotten better, I'm forced to remember why it rots.  Not worth my time. The private area with people thatI know fly well and with respect, without all the 200 style junk, is the only way I'll go in there.

My hope is that where the lake is concerned, that people don't confuse the feeling you get when you get killed with "the lake being a bad place".  One of the best examples of that was on two separate occasions:

1.  TonyJoey and JoeyTony were flying low on the water and attracted the horde killed about 7 of them, rinse and repeat.  They never answered the ALL channel because I guess they detuned it.  For hours one night.  SA practice.

2.  DrBone upped a 9 and did the same thing only he asked us all NOT to save him.  I have no idea how many he killed.  All night long.

It became obvious over time that some folks had figured out that the DA lake was a place to take batting practice, try new approaches, see curveballs, sliders and off speed stuff at a much higher operational tempo than they'd ever find in the MA.  Truthfully I never asked any of them about it so I can't say for certain that's what they were doing but their skills now are obvious.  There were others as well...Fringe, bunnies, Krup...

The DA lake is simply batting practice with live pitchers.  Take your cuts with that in mind, put your iTunes playlist on and have fun.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #249 on: April 24, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »
One of Shida's gems was to empty you ammo and then dive into the DA.

Now there's an SA challenge :old:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #250 on: April 24, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »

Haha!  "When Cortez landed in the new world, he burned his ships....."

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #251 on: April 24, 2014, 11:08:14 AM »

I liked to dive in WWI bird into a DA furball lake. Too bad the wings ripped off most of the time  :devil
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #252 on: April 24, 2014, 11:11:19 AM »
I liked to dive in WWI bird into a DA furball lake. Too bad the wings ripped off most of the time  :devil

How many temps and K4s augered following you around, lol?

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2014, 11:11:33 AM »

I TA'd against an f6f in a DR7 the other day, that was some fun, followed by a rage quit by the chap who could no longer see out of his bullet riddled cockpit :lol
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #254 on: April 24, 2014, 11:42:10 AM »

Indeed, I do not see why they were removed from the furball lake, they simply don't present enough threat to seriously disrupt gameplay.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."