Author Topic: New User here! Controls questions and other stuff .. please help :-)  (Read 364 times)

Offline harisund

• Zinc Member
Hi folks ... I had a few questions and thought someone from the community might be able to help -

1. Is there a way to "save" the current controls setup? I would like to "save" the default set up and be able to revert any time I feel I have screwed something up.

2. In the controls, what's the difference between "rpm"(in the PLANES section) and "throttle" (in the GLOBAL section)?

3. What exactly is "combat trim" and "set trim"? I see individual button selections for elev trim, aileron trim and rudder trim .... but what do these two buttons do?

Now here's the big question ... I have a CH HOTAS setup (CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle and CH Rudder Pedals). Any suggestions on how to create a map?

Here are my questions

1. My centering axes (Joystick X/Y, Rudder, Throttle mini thumbstick) start at 32767. None goes to 0 at one end, only 255. Is that ok? The raw and scaled travel together from bottom to top. The top end on most read 65535, but rudder reads slightly lesser. Is that ok too?

2. The non centering axes (Throttle, wheel brakes, throttle on the joystick) don't go from end to another end. In the Raw/Scaled read out, they travel only half way. Either go from half to up top, or go from half to down bottom (in one case I believe it goes from 0 to half). These are all non-centering axis though .. so how do I map those? By the way, my plans for mapping are simple -

Joystick X/Y - Roll/Pitch
Joystick throttle - Field of view
Rudder pedals - Wheel brake Left, Wheel Brake Right and Rudder
Throttle - Throttle 1
(I do not plan on using the Throttle Joystick)

How do I accomplish this? Will the fact that the Raw/Scaled window doesn't show the entire range be an issue?

Thanks a ton folks!

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: New User here! Controls questions and other stuff .. please help :-)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:48:33 AM »
RPM vs Throttle: AH2 planes (except the storch and WW1 planes) have constant speed propellers. What this means is that the pitch of the prop(angle of blades to the wind, how much they bite,) is changed constantly by a governor so that the propeller maintains a constant RPM regardless of the amount of power being sent to it by the engine. As far as I can tell changing the RPM in AH2 is done only to reduce drag in an engine out condition and to achieve higher fuel efficiency by adjusting throttle and prop settings to those shown under the E6B. So it can be ignored, others I'm sure disagree. The throttle controls the power output of the engine and you can see this reflected in the manifold pressure gauges. There is also WEP which stands for war emergency power and functions as a time limited boost to normal full throttle engine power. It comes on when you press the assigned button or key when you have full throttle, if you reduce throttle or press the same key it turns off.
Pies not kicks.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: New User here! Controls questions and other stuff .. please help :-)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 03:10:24 AM »
1. The easy way to save everything is to copy your Aces High "settings" folder to safe location.

2. RPM is propellor speed. Throttle is engine power.

3. Combat trim automatically retrims your aircraft as the speed changes. Set Trim maintains your moderate controller inputs after you release the controllers to center.

4. Calibrate each axis in Aces High.

5. Map each axis by selecting it on the clipboard and assigning it.

Detailed instructions on the main web page under Support/Help.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/getting-started/how-to-configure-your-joystick-or-mouse