Author Topic: It's not fun anymore!  (Read 2136 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: It's not fun anymore!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »
What most people tend to forget that even though on one specific map a factory or two may be up close and easily hit, and that whichever chess piece has ownership of that factory gets pummeled easy enough, but that the map will end sooner or later and another chess piece will get the honors of defending/resupplying that factory.

Personally, I've has more fun and I seem to have more engagements in intercepting factory raiders.  There are more lower level bombers and attackers that when the factories were grouped together.

So I'd like to take this moment to remind everyone on the "sky is falling/game play sucks now" bandwagon to stop a second, free your mind, and your bellybutton will follow.  Relax. YOU determine your experience in AH.  Not anyone else.

Trust me when I say I too get annoyed by the bomb-n-bail types, or the gv circle jerk camp fest, or the bananas that hop in their perfume smelling easy mode planes (La7, Spit16, P51) and run run run instead of engaging. It gets old.  But, I don't stop and let THEM drag me down.  I move on and find other things to do and on that note I always succeed.   :aok 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 08:52:21 AM »
or the bananas that hop in their perfume smelling easy mode planes (La7, Spit16, P51) and run run run instead of engaging. It gets old. 

1. The Spixteen tops out on 344mph on the deck with WEP. So there are a lot of planes you can choose from that it absolutely can't run away from, if running Spixteens are a problem. I doubt Spixteens running *away* is anyones' actual problem with them, however  :devil
2. The P-51 can actually be caught by numerous planes in the set, particularly with its low acceleration giving it troubles. And if you think it belongs in a list of easy mode planes, I will gladly duel your P-51 while flying a 1942 Spitfire IX sometime  :D
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »
First off it's not a whine if you have a deep voice. But it does get old with bombing and bailing and the tourists.

However some of you are correct. Sometimes you have to sit back and look at other options.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 11:48:35 AM »
First off it's not a whine if you have a deep voice. But it does get old with bombing and bailing and the tourists.

However some of you are correct. Sometimes you have to sit back and look at other options.
Switch countrys for a tour.............. :salute

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »

My C.O., Rud3boi, has been talking about this. Next time he says something I'll put my 2 cents in.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 01:06:05 PM »
Rotating sides is eye opening, we do it regularly and it does make a huge difference.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »

Do this.. best advice I've found for shaking things up.
Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »
I myself love the flight model and like the people who play the game. But if they dont get this new graphics engine going, and do something with the maps, this game is heading for trouble.

They have to attract new players and, most of all, bring back the old ones. These big maps were great with 400 or 500 players but with 130 they absolutely suck.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »

2. The P-51 can actually be caught by numerous planes in the set, particularly with its low acceleration giving it troubles. And if you think it belongs in a list of easy mode planes, I will gladly duel your P-51 while flying a 1942 Spitfire IX sometime  :D

The way it's flown 99.7% of the time in the MA, it's definitely easy-mode.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »
The way it's flown 99.7% of the time in the MA, it's definitely easy-mode.

The way it's flown by 99.7%, maybe they don't get shot down that often but they are lucky to get one kill per hour. And if they feel the need to fly the thing that way, that means the machine probably ain't easy mode. Any 1945 plane labeled "easy mode" should be able to easily stomp any 1942 plane, wouldn't you say? Otherwise it seems a bizarre use of the phrase "easy mode".
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:07:41 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 05:58:43 PM »
This is getting old.  All countries do the same at one time or another.  If you are defending, I am afraid the best answer is just abandon the base.  Most likely they will never take it anyway .

Knights not doing missions is whats old.  Also, arrogant fighter pilots cocooned in selfish dweeberry is very old.   :old:

carry on
 :airplane:

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 06:26:43 PM »
The way it's flown by 99.7%, maybe they don't get shot down that often but they are lucky to get one kill per hour. And if they feel the need to fly the thing that way, that means the machine probably ain't easy mode. Any 1945 plane labeled "easy mode" should be able to easily stomp any 1942 plane, wouldn't you say? Otherwise it seems a bizarre use of the phrase "easy mode".

I doubt it's kill per hour is 1 or less. 

Easy mode as I use it, is defined as a plane that has high survivability/high lethality due to a/c performance factors that the pilot inherits by virtue of climbing in the cockpit.

Its maneuverability at top speed and in top downhill speed and high speed turning ability make it an easy killing platform.  It has zero defect turning ability, great flaps that are easy to get accustomed to, good zoom climb, easy to handle stall characteristics and an unapologetic gun package.  Its very durable against most ammunition fired at it and is one of the few planes that can dictate the tempo of the fight.  It fights nicely at all alts, better at some than others but progresses evenly through most altitudes but certainly outclasses 80% of the planeset above 20K.

The year of our lord vs the year of our lord is a poor comparison for whether something is easy mode.  There are a number of pilots that have mastered the 51's ability low and slow.  The question is, why don't others take the time to do it?  The answer is why would they?  They can rack up tremendous victory totals by simply exploiting its advantages and have to learn not-so-much.

Yes, easy mode.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 08:07:56 PM »
I doubt it's kill per hour is 1 or less.  

Easy mode as I use it, is defined as a plane that has high survivability/high lethality due to a/c performance factors that the pilot inherits by virtue of climbing in the cockpit.
I exaggerate, but a too timidly flown P-51 always gains a little in k/d ratio for a huge drop in k/t.
Survivability yes, lethality no, 'fraid not. An old HurriIIC is far more lethal both in terms of guns and maneuvering abilities *once actually engaged*. The P-51D can avoid being engaged easier, which is important in real life, far less so as an argument for "easy mode" in a game where the point is to have fun in engagements.

Its maneuverability at top speed and in top downhill speed and high speed turning ability make it an easy killing platform.
Here we come to the myth of the "high speed turning ability." Yes the P-51 can generate enough G to hit the blackout limit at anything over about 250 mph, but so can every other WWII plane in the set. Two planes going the same speed and pulling the same G load in the turn are producing exactly the same rate and radius at turn. No advantage the the P-51 here.

No offense to you personally Changeup, but it seems like this basic bit of physics gets explained on this forum at least once a month, and still it never filters down into the community at large. Again, same speed+same G load in a turn means identical rate and radius. Most planes in the set can generate blackout Gs to at least 400mph IAS, but that already way too fast to stand much chance of hitting anything. There is no advantage for the P-51 in high speed, only parity.

It has zero defect turning ability
Excuse me? What does this phrase even mean? The P-51 has one of the highest stall speeds, largest minimum turn radii, and worst sustained turn rates in the game.

, great flaps that are easy to get accustomed to,
Examining the relevant testing data will reveal that the P-51's flaps do not reduce turn radius of the P-51 by anywhere near as great a percentage as flaps do for the F4U, P-38, or P-47. Which is to say, virtually every plane equipped with comparable purpose-designed maneuvering flaps is getting a lot more benefit out of said flaps. One notch improves turn rate and radius, two notches improves radius at the expense of rate, and beyond that flaps in the P-51 are adding drag much more quickly than they tighten a turn.

good zoom climb,

easy to handle stall characteristics
It stalls pretty viciously, although there is plenty of warning.

and an unapologetic gun package.
"Unapologetic"? Again, what does this even mean? It is an adequate, not great gun package for this particular plane, and does end up frustrating lots of players lots of the time, me included. I'm a big fan of Latrobe's videos, I was watching them this morning. Watch and compare the P-51D video he has up on Youtube to his "Decision making in a fight" video in the 109F. In the P-51D video you will see many bandits eating his lead but either escaping damaged or surviving and then dying because they stall and crash into the water. In the 109F video, the same sort of flying against multiple opponents, the airplanes are destroyed outright. An the 109F isn't generally considered a heavy hitter. Same pilot, good shot, completely different results from the two gun packages.

It fights nicely at all alts, better at some than others but progresses evenly through most altitudes but certainly outclasses 80% of the planeset above 20K.
The P-51D does have a rather brilliant sweet spot from 8-12K where it cruises a lot faster than most, albeit it takes about a sector to get up to that full cruise speed. Getting above that alt its speed drops and it's horsepower suffers until about 18K. Indeed above 20K it is a great plane again, but that is above the vast majority of action in the MA. Who climbs to 20K?

The year of our lord vs the year of our lord is a poor comparison for whether something is easy mode.
[/quote]
A plane from the Late-war set we're going to call "easy mode" should enjoy at least equality in 1v1 dogfights with HurriIIs, SpitIXs, F4U1s, Hellcats, 109Fs and Gs, P-38s, and anything else the Early to MidWar era can offer.

There are a number of pilots that have mastered the 51's ability low and slow.
I've scrimmaged it tons in maneuvering fights in the Furball lake against everything. My conclusion: At a disadvantage against nearly everything and often unable to turn gross mistakes by the opponent into victory due to lack slow speed maneuverability, climb/acceleration, and cannons.

The question is, why don't others take the time to do it?
Likely because they try to do it and end up concluding it is almost hopeless. Then they either go back to Spits and other maneuverable planes or prosecute a pure BnZ in the 51.

They can rack up tremendous victory totals by simply exploiting its advantages and have to learn not-so-much.

Yes, easy mode.

Sometimes I fly it "smart"...sometimes I fly it "stupid". Either way, I've been doing this since 2006, and I still feel any sortie I can get 3  fighting kills in the P-51 is a good one. As pure BnZ fighters, the Dora and the P-47M beat the pants off the 51 due to firepower and roll rate. The Dora's amazing engine allows it to actually build energy in a timely manner and keep an E advantage over multiple bandits, while a P-51 while actually fighting is in a declining energy state. And the P-47 beats the 51 as a dogfighter as well. So where's the "easy mode"? Is there a button to turn it on in the cockpit somewhere I'm missing?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:35:41 PM by BnZs »

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »
I left the game for reasons and I didnt run to the boards to bash HTC or piss and moan like a  little ...... girl.
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14