Author Topic: New Surge protector  (Read 472 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
New Surge protector
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:14:16 PM »
I've been having problems with a jittery screen and a wee bit of warping. My net status was good and I keep the computer fairly clean. I mentioned this to my I.T. guy and he said do you have a surge protector. I say yes. He said replace it. It may not be getting all the power to the computer. Hmmm. I remember Skuzzy saying the same thing once I believe. It was something like if you get a few surges you should replace it. Well over the winter I lost power umpteen times. Trees falling etc.  So I bought a new one tonight. Nothing fancy, just a 7 place outlet. Darn things seem better.

Thought I would pass it along.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Surge protector
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:26:51 AM »
He did say they break down over a period time.

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:21:12 AM »
If the surge protector gives you micro power outs it can be as damaging to your hardware as the surge itself. Better keep it in order.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 06:04:16 AM »
I personally have all of my computer stuff on a 700$ industrial battery back up system with OSD for monitoring(which lucky for me I got for only 250$ what a steal). Florida being the lightning capital has quite a bit of power surges, not to mention I checked with my multimeter and was getting 126 VAC instead of 120 in from the wall. I have had numerous power supplys for computers just die because of over and under surges.

In short, you see that big nice 2k computer you just made? its nothing with out good power.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 06:41:59 AM »
All retail grade surge protectors have a limited life (i.e they can only absorb X amount of surges).  Never use one which does not have some type of indicator to show it is still able to absorb surges.  You are wasting your money, if you do.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »
All retail grade surge protectors have a limited life (i.e they can only absorb X amount of surges).  Never use one which does not have some type of indicator to show it is still able to absorb surges.  You are wasting your money, if you do.

Which one do you recommend
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »

Which one do you recommend

They all work the same.  They all use an MOV to handle the surge.  The higher rated ones use a larger MOV or a series of MOV's.  As long as there is an indicator showing it is failing or working, is the big issue.

I use commercial grade equipment (APC Symmetra) which is far too expensive and way overkill for the casual user.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:30:32 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 11:23:03 AM »
They all work the same.  They all use an MOV to handle the surge.  The higher rated ones use a larger MOV or a series of MOV's.  As long as there is an indicator showing it is failing or working, is the big issue.

I use commercial grade equipment (APC Symmetra) which is far too expensive and way overkill for the casual user.

TY
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills