Author Topic: "A" & "N"  (Read 747 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
"A" & "N"
« on: May 22, 2014, 05:49:33 AM »
 :airplane: As aviation grew by leaps and bounds during the 30's, 40's, the letters "A" and "N" played a very important part in development of aviation. What part did they play?
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Re: "A" & "N"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 05:56:46 AM »
Compass
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:16:04 AM »
I know N is a national designator, going back a ways. most Tail numbers start with N. as for the A, I'm at a loss....

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 06:25:01 AM »
If it was based on the guys here, I'd have to guess Alcohol and Narcotics.
 :bolt:
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 06:32:14 AM »

and then theres that!! LOL

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 06:38:58 AM »
Antonov ?  :bolt:

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 06:40:12 AM »
Aggressive Noob
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 07:11:23 AM »
:airplane: As aviation grew by leaps and bounds during the 30's, 40's, the letters "A" and "N" played a very important part in development of aviation. What part did they play?
:airplane: Since I am going to be camping over the Memorial weekend with my lovely bride to be someday, (I hope), I'll go ahead and answer this!

During the growth of aviation during the early years, not much in the way of electronic navigational aids were available to pilots. As the U.S. airmail system begin to be developed, the early years, "Wiley Post", Lindberg and other famous aviators were actually guided by fires built by farmers, which were paid by the U.S. government, from city to city. As things begin to be developed in radio, a low frequency radio system was installed throughout the U.S. A transmitter was installed, which generated a "4" legged range.  Each leg of this range transmitted an "A" and a "N". The signal produced was in Morse code, dot dash and dash dot. One side of this leg was the "N" quadrant and the other side of the leg was the "A" quadrant. If you were directly on the leg, the "A" and the "N" were overlapping and you would hear a steady tone, which would signal that you were on course. This is were the movie term, "riding the beam" came from during the 40's.
Since you could only hear a signal in your ears and had no instrument as yet which would assist you in navigation, you had to work "range" problems by ear. Example, if you tuned a station, you had to first figure out if you were flying towards the station or away from it. You did this by turning your volume way down to where you could barely hear it, took up a heading and listened. If the signal grew in volume, then you were generally flying towards the station, if signal volume disappeared, you were going away from the station. Then came the problem of figuring out where the station was and this was called a range orientation problem. I won't go into a lot of detail at this point, but the whole object of the range orientation was to find one of the line of "null" or legs, bracket it back and forth until you determined if you were going towards it or away, then it was a simple matter of Ident the station, pull out a C&G chart, shoot the approach and wala, you were home free. Only two problems remained before landing safety! Hope you had at least a 600 foot ceiling on clouds and hope you didn't run out of gas working your range problem.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 07:17:22 AM »
I thought this would answer why Ft. Collins keeps the A on Horsetooth. I'm not sure it does answer why?

CSU was once the Aggies (A&M) and the lore is that's why they keep it an A and that's it's primarily for flight navigation. Big CSU letters would be easier to see/use than one big A.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:38:29 AM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 09:30:51 AM »
:airplane: Since I am going to be camping over the Memorial weekend with my lovely bride to be someday, (I hope), I'll go ahead and answer this!

During the growth of aviation during the early years, not much in the way of electronic navigational aids were available to pilots. As the U.S. airmail system begin to be developed, the early years, "Wiley Post", Lindberg and other famous aviators were actually guided by fires built by farmers, which were paid by the U.S. government, from city to city. As things begin to be developed in radio, a low frequency radio system was installed throughout the U.S. A transmitter was installed, which generated a "4" legged range.  Each leg of this range transmitted an "A" and a "N". The signal produced was in Morse code, dot dash and dash dot. One side of this leg was the "N" quadrant and the other side of the leg was the "A" quadrant. If you were directly on the leg, the "A" and the "N" were overlapping and you would hear a steady tone, which would signal that you were on course. This is were the movie term, "riding the beam" came from during the 40's.
Since you could only hear a signal in your ears and had no instrument as yet which would assist you in navigation, you had to work "range" problems by ear. Example, if you tuned a station, you had to first figure out if you were flying towards the station or away from it. You did this by turning your volume way down to where you could barely hear it, took up a heading and listened. If the signal grew in volume, then you were generally flying towards the station, if signal volume disappeared, you were going away from the station. Then came the problem of figuring out where the station was and this was called a range orientation problem. I won't go into a lot of detail at this point, but the whole object of the range orientation was to find one of the line of "null" or legs, bracket it back and forth until you determined if you were going towards it or away, then it was a simple matter of Ident the station, pull out a C&G chart, shoot the approach and wala, you were home free. Only two problems remained before landing safety! Hope you had at least a 600 foot ceiling on clouds and hope you didn't run out of gas working your range problem.

very cool kinda like loran A... i actually used it...

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 01:04:38 PM »
Painting "CSU" instead of "A" at Horsetooth triples the time on repainting day, which cuts into drinking time at the post paint party.
AMAX  in game

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 01:39:27 PM »
excellent point  :D
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »
 Great post.
      JGroth

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 08:20:19 PM »

*wakes up* somebody call me?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »
I thought this would be about hardware. The specifications for aircraft hardware come from the military so everything has AN before a bunch of numbers that describe what it is. Their didn't used to be an airforce so it was army navy.
Pies not kicks.