Author Topic: Advertising on SimHQ  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
Advertising on SimHQ
« on: June 15, 2014, 08:15:37 AM »
I just found this on SimHQ.  Not the best advertising, but it is funny as hell :lol

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3968097/The_Most_Difficult_Flight_Sim_#Post3968097

On a more serious note, we might start talking about Aces High on SimHQ.  There is almost never anything about Aces High posted there.  Maybe because its too difficult :lol

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
Re: Advertising on SimHQ
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 10:55:06 AM »
Difficult lol.

I had a pilot llicence before finding this game, the flying was easy,

- lesrning
acm,
bfm,
Dive bombing
Basic base defence
Basic attacks on towns., hangers, ords
Learning layout of diff bases ie small vs lg airfield
Level bombing
The knowledge needed to succeed in a fight, your strenths and weaknesses of ur plane and then the 99 other planes u might face.

Difficult is an understatement,  but after 12 months and u have learned the basics the fun begins :D
Ect

There is a steep learning chrve
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »
And the most important thing to learn, how to read Dar. ...
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline kano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 11:46:59 AM »
And the most important thing to learn, how to read Dar. ...

But then you get accused of cheating :P

EatG
The Few

S/L No 32 squadron BoB 2013

Eats Eagle

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
"And yet, stick one of them in DCS P-51 for the first time and they likely wont even get off the ground"  :headscratch:

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 12:12:52 PM »
"And yet, stick one of them in DCS P-51 for the first time and they likely wont even get off the ground"  :headscratch:

I thought the same thing. I really wouldn't get off the ground because my computer wouldn't run DCS.

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »

I found DCS 51 pretty easy, I couldn't pull off some maneuvers but i attribute that to not taking time to set up my controls just so. Other than that i found the skills easily transferable..
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »
That guy doesn't know too much...DCS 51, pffft
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 09:05:54 AM »
Aces high is a dogfight sim, not really a flight sim. I'm not interested in knowing how to warm the magnetos in a p51.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 09:48:02 AM »
Aces high is a dogfight sim, not really a flight sim. I'm not interested in knowing how to warm the magnetos in a p51.
This....

You use hot coffee right?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »
I just used my checklist. Just like ever other pilot in the world does today.  

DCS Startup Checklist I used from flightace37 on the Eagle forums...
----
=== Pre-Start ===

Flight Controls: CHECK  Parking Brake: SET Stick Lock: NEUTRAL uselage Fuel Gauge (Shoulder): CHECK Left Fuel Gauge (Floor): CHECK Right Fuel gauge (Floor): CHECK Flaps: UP
Carburetor Ram Air Control: FORWARD unless filter required   Carburetor Hot Air Control: FORWARD unless hot air required

Rudder Trim: 6* RIGHT/As Desired   Elevator Trim: 2* NOSE HEAVY (4* with tanks) Aileron Trim: 0*/As Desired

Landing Gear Handle: DOWN **Do not raise gear on ground**

Mixture: IDLE CUT-OFF  Propeller Control: FORWARD Throttle: 1 Inch OPEN  Gunsight Gyro Power: ON  Gunsight Mode: As Desired  Gunsight Brightness: As Desired  Weapon Selector Switch: SAFE Bomb Arm Switches: OFF  Gun/Camera Switch: OFF

Altimeter: SET  Directional Gyro: UNCAGE  Flight Indicator: UNCAGE   Supercharger: AUTOMATIC  Fuel Booster: ON  Ignition: BOTH  Fuel Shutoff Valve: ON  Fuel Tank Selector: LEFT WING  Battery: ON  Generator: ON  Position Lights: ON/CHECK   Cockpit Lights: CHECK/As Desired  Signal Lights: As Desired  Landing Gear Lamp: TEST  Supercharger Lamp: TEST  Oxygen Gauge: 400 PSI  Radiator Cooler: TEST/AUTOMATIC  Oil Cooler: TEST/AUTOMATIC

== Start-Up ==
Prime Engine: 3-4s if cold, 1s if hot
Starter Switch: START (Hold)
Mixture: RUN (When engine catches)

Oil Pressure: 50 PSI within 30 seconds,  Warm-Up Idle: 1200-1300 RPM to 40*C oil temp, steady pressure,   Suction Gauge: CHECK 3.75"-4.25", Engine Instruments: CHECK, Idle: ~1000 RPM

If engine cuts out, set mixture to IDLE CUT-OFF. Re-prime 1s for restart. Starter is good for 4 attempts before 5 minute cool-down.
----

That takes around 1 minute when you've done it enough.  And when I get tired of the realism setting, I switch to easy mode and press E to start my engines. Like I'm sure 90% of us DCS pilots do.   :neener:

I mean, if you want uber stupid crasy realism, sure, turn up the realism on. Knock yourself out.  But time is precious, and I would rather spend my minutes flying and in the air that trying to figure out why my engine isn't starting... I hit the start 4 or 5 times and end up wasting time before trying again because I left my fuel booster off.  : :lol
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:33:56 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 02:00:50 PM »
I have been a regular visitor to SimHQ for over 10 years.  SimHQ recently (last November) posted an article on Aces High:  

http://www.simhq.com/daily-news/aces-high-air-combat-game-hitech-creations.html

If memory serves it did not even generate a post in the SimHQ forum's "Article Feedback" section....which is rare.  

I can only speculate on why SimHQ doesn't cover Aces High much.  I've gathered from interaction with other SimHQ forum regulars that AH is considered to be a bit "gamey".   That didn't make much sense to me the first couple of times I heard it, given some of the games SimHQ reguarly coveres (e.g. War Thunder, etc) are certainly far more so...but there you go.

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »

LOLOLOL

I suggest you not pee on them...
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 01:48:52 AM »
I read an article ages ago saying AH people were very insular :old:

SimHQ like big sasauge :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »
After looking around SimHQ's forums. It seems management there is a tad partisan about what games it covers. And the games it covers seem to have relationships with SimHQ. So is it we the community of AH are too insular, or is it Mr. Hitech didn't kiss the correct tushys at SimHQ to foster Industry solidarity amongst insular partisans?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.