Author Topic: Tank rounds traveling through berms for a kill  (Read 924 times)

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
Tank rounds traveling through berms for a kill
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:20:11 PM »
For real?  Really?  I was snugged up against a berm that was taller than my tank, on flat ground, and six rounds pierced through the berm and hit first my tread, then killed me.  Tell me if this is normal, because two minutes after that I will quit this game.
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Tank rounds traveling through berms for a kill
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »
film?
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »
For real?  Really?  I was snugged up against a berm that was taller than my tank, on flat ground, and six rounds pierced through the berm and hit first my tread, then killed me.  Tell me if this is normal, because two minutes after that I will quit this game.

If you don't have film it is only what you THINK happened. With film you can see what really happened and more often than what you think happened and what really happen are NOT the same thing.

You could have been shot by someone from a completely different direction. On top of that incoming rounds are just approximations of the real fight path. So even if the rounds that were hitting you looked to be shooting through the hill they were really being lobbed over it.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
It is important to remember that graphic visual tracers from other peoples rounds do not stop at any objects.  They continue until they hit the ground.  However, on the other persons front end the round hits the object (berm, hedgerow, etc) and stops, meaning he doesn't hit you.  If you truly were far below the top of the berm you were probably killed by some other tank that you didn't see that had a clear shot.  Also, rounds take curved (parabolic) paths and if fired from long range they can be descending and just clear the top of the berm while still hitting you.  Think of this in the extreme limit: if fired from a very long distance the round could be descending on your tank nearly vertically and the berm would not be in the way at all.

Offline Mitchell

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 04:42:37 PM »
The trajectory of a tank round is a big arc, the farther away someone is shooting the larger the arc.
If someone was sniping you from far away the rounds would be plunging down on you at 30 degree angle or more rendering your berm useless.

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »
I have films now auto triggered, with a prompt if I want to save them.  I'll keep an eye out for it.  The rounds that took my tracks out and ultimately killed me weren't arcing over the berm.  I don't see how, when I'm saddled up behind a berm with my right track almost against the berm, that a round arcing in from the other side of the berm can take my track out. 

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 12:18:13 AM »
What you see online is almost never what the other guy sees. I once had a Storch pilot ask me how I killed him with a round that I fired at a Tiger and he saw land 100 yards beyond the Tiger. It was simple. The round ricocheted off the Tiger, then off an M4 Calliope and up into the Storch. I never saw the Tiger, the M4, or the Storch, but they were on film. The Storch pilot could not see me. What he saw was another tank round. As to your mystery shot; if the guy that shot you was using HE, then all bets are off.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 11:19:42 PM »

It may be normal actually.

Not exactly the best diagram but it gives you a pretty good idea of how tank fire works in this game.   Depending on the tank round the trajectory of the shell may be flatter or more parabolic. (like big time actually in game depending on the tank)
Additionally 6 rounds hitting you and piercing through your tank would have taken a ungodly amount of time ingame (like around a minute) Which is seriously a long time.  It is very likely you may have been destroyed by a second or multiple shooters.

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 07:05:46 AM »
It may be normal actually.

(Image removed from quote.)

Not exactly the best diagram but it gives you a pretty good idea of how tank fire works in this game.   Depending on the tank round the trajectory of the shell may be flatter or more parabolic. (like big time actually in game depending on the tank)
Additionally 6 rounds hitting you and piercing through your tank would have taken a ungodly amount of time ingame (like around a minute) Which is seriously a long time.  It is very likely you may have been destroyed by a second or multiple shooters.

That is an absolutely TERRIBLE Ballistic Coefficient on that rifle round!  LOL.  What the heck is that a 45-70?!?!?  LOL

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 07:10:22 AM »
But more to the topic....if there was "any" elevated section around you....berms loose their effectiveness.   Also the graphics don't always report the correct "direction" of incoming rounds.   An enemy tank could have been "marking" your position and keeping your focus by shooting the berm...while someone else in an M18 snuck around you and plugged ya.   Without film...you just never know how many are really out there.   Just for the record....I have NEVER done this to an enemy tank behind a hill.    :D

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 09:19:08 AM »
 An enemy tank could have been "marking" your position and keeping your focus by shooting the berm...while someone else in an M18 snuck around you and plugged ya. 

^^^^ This...

I have lost many a Tiger to this little trick.... :(
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »
  Just because i can't see you doesn't mean I don't know where you are, :noid so I'll shoot at you knowing you can't be hit to see if you really know!!!
I use these tactics a lot to make someone move or focus their attention somewhere other than where it needs to be, shooting at them even tho i can't see them is a good way to make someone move into sight and get killed,,
 or keep their eyes on me while another tank takes them out.
  Film is the best way to see what really happened, then,, if something is wrong it can be seen and fixed,  and/or,, to learn the different abilities of each tank and why things happen the way they do!
 One film I watched, hunting some tigers in an M-18 was very interesting because while I was successful, I had been driving all around a T-34 setting as close as 600 yard at one point and never even knew he was their,had he killed me, I'd have never known how I died,, so watch your films and learn new skills, and if you find something wrong, send it in!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 11:53:17 AM »
Thanks all for the responses.  Lots of good points.  But I've had this desire brewing to cancel my subscription for a few months.  No one thing led me to this, just a bunch of little crap that has made this game not worth it.  I wish everyone well, I hope AH rebounds and survives, and above all I hope everyone in the community continues to have fun.   :salute

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »
Could be something like plunging or grazing fire.....we use them all the time with MGs to hit targets behind cover.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 03:12:16 AM »
Yankee,

Tanking in Aces High seems to focus on the physics of the rounds and thickness / angle design of armor.  There are a number of things like line of sight, visibility, and indestructible clutter that are just not as perfect as you may like.  Also, a lot of those veteran tankers may have a few tricks up their sleeves, like all those possibilities listed in this thread. 

It's okay to take a break, especially for the summer and get outside and soak up some sun  :cheers:  Don't feel compelled to give any certain reason for your absence, believe me we all have our moments...... (unfortunately Zack was around for my meltdown and later told me this is what I sounded like >  :cry).  At first, I was ashamed  :o (my joystick connection always seemed to find the exact worst moment to disconnect) and I instinctively held down the talk button as I screamed....... :bhead 

Then after Zack commented on what it sounded like I was  :uhoh ..... and then knowing what a joker Zack is I had to   :rofl

l was forced to take a break due to my former ISP's BS.  I came back and  although things weren't all that different, I had changed and found that with patience, you can learn something new every day. 

I hope you decide to stay around, don't need to lose anymore good guys  :salute