Author Topic: Pedals Review - Slaw Device first impressions  (Read 6210 times)

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
Pedals Review - Slaw Device first impressions
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:33:22 PM »
First of all, just to mention, I'm not associated with slaw device at all, just a happy customer wanting to share some info for these pedals.

I have a really long post ready to go, but just before posting, I did a quick google, and found this much better review (with better photos) on SimHQ.

So I'll just leave this link, and say I agree with everything said in that review, I too have a set of simpeds and have used them for a few years now, they are excellent pedals, but the slaw ones are just better in every way.

The only thing not noted in the other review, and It's something that I had the occasional issue with my simpeds is the fact that the simped design was a little prone to getting dust under the ball bearing roller, and getting a bit crunchy to move, this was very hard to clean, and I can see by the "skeletal" design of the slaw pedals, there's very few places dust will affect them and if it does, they'll be very easy to clean.

Anyhow, here's a pic of my pedals, they were not cheap as you can probably tell, but I'll never need another set, and I see it as kind of an investment, they also go nicely with my warthog, I'm all metal now baby! \../

Any questions, let me know, and if you're looking for an upgrade, these are hard to go past in my opinion.

SimHQ review : http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3887591/Slaw_Device_109_Pedals

Mine

Salute

Steely
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:40:20 PM by steely07 »
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
Re: Pedals Review - Slaw Device first impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:42:19 PM »
First...I just want to state for the record....I hate you. 

:lol

I'm kidding of course. Congrats man! Ive been wanting these for a loooong time.

If you dont mind my asking...how long did you have to wait for your set? Also..how much was the shipping?
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 10:33:13 PM »
Hehehe, sometimes I hate me too :P

I first contacted Slaw on April 15, and they arrived yesterday, so it's about 4 months wait, Slaw doesn't do this full time, he does it after work (I don't know how, all I want to do after work is lie around :))

Shipping to Australia from Poland was 110 euro, and took about 8 days, I was quite impressed with the Polish post, they knew it was on the truck for delivery whereas Aussie Post was still saying product not track-able!

Do you have a set on order too Zerstorer? :)

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:21:47 AM »
I have a set of simpeds as well, and Ch, and 2 Saiteks, the Combat set being the better of the CH/Saitek peds.  You have me very interested in these, I think I'll contact him tomorrow and see about getting in the cue for a set.  Good review and pics.

What in your opinion really sets them apart from simpeds, is it the quality of materials (already excellent IMO with the Simpeds), the motion, etc?

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 12:29:58 AM »
You get the same nice wide stance as a simped, but as the pedals are all metal (except for a couple of plastic spacers etc.)

You also get toe brakes :)

They do sit higher off the floor also, and I've been finding that actually more comfortable, also, they feel unbreakable, they're super sturdy.

They're also as smooth as glass, and I'm already finding my shooting to be more accurate, am yet to fiddle with any curves in mapping however, will update review in a few weeks when I've given them a really good workout.

I bought them as I'd inherited a bit of money and had always wanted pedals of the same quality and style as my warthog.

Don't get me wrong, simpeds are great, and mine are wrapped up in a cupboard just in case I ever build that second simming machine, but these are the pedals I've always

wanted :)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 10:32:47 AM »
   Germans make good stuff.  :old:

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »
I have not ordered mine yet. I plan to but am busy figuring out how I can modify the base of my Obutto Ozone cockpit so the pedals will fit. I love my Obutto but the area where the pedals sit is narrow... Only smallish pedals like racing peds or CH work there.

I finally found a post on Simhq where someone solved the issue. In his case he had a set of Simpeds but they were too wide. He ended up having a buddy of his modify the Obutto base with a welder and rolled pipe. I will have to do the same.... Which means I will have to disassemble the unit and get the base over to a nearby metal shop... I could do it myself but I don't currently own a arc welder.

So if I do end up pulling the trigger it's gonna be a major pain in the butt....  :uhoh
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:26:20 AM by Zerstorer »

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 09:57:36 PM »
   Germans make good stuff.  :old:

Made in Poland tho....

And I will receive mine in August...
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:39 PM »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:07:29 AM »
I dont see a price anyplace on line  :headscratch: Would one have to sell a kidney to purchase these?

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 09:26:21 AM »
I dont see a price anyplace on line  :headscratch: Would one have to sell a kidney to purchase these?

Slaw has quoted 275 + shipping in the past.... Pretty sure he hasn't change the price. Be aware that shipping to the US can be expensive.

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »
Thank you, might not have to sell a Kidney after all  :salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »
Thank you, might not have to sell a Kidney after all  :salute

think it's 275 euros.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 12:19:37 PM »
think it's 275 euros.

semp

Correct. My apologies. Not sure what the exchange is right now but given the quality of the unit it is a pretty good deal.

Those of you in the market might also want to consider VKB's T-Rudder pedals as well. Small all metal for factor that works on a different principles than most pedals (you use your feet in a manner similar to using a car gas pedal). It's also even cheaper than the Slaw pedals (about 150 euros). Google VKB FSC Europe if you want to learn more. They are currently in Stock. One downside to the VKBs... No toe brakes.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
There are a couple of YouTube videos of the VKB T-Rudder pedals in action.. Just search for "VKB T-Rudder".