Author Topic: Bunch of 109's in storage....  (Read 972 times)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
Bunch of 109's in storage....
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:57:22 PM »
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: Bunch of 109's in storage....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »

I would but that right side up motor just ruins it for me. I'm out.
Who is John Galt?

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »
Yup! Cuz they're Hispanos not true Messerschmidts :angel:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:11:09 PM by W7LPNRICK »
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »
Just rebuilt it. Most (if not all) DB-powered 109s flying today were originally Buchons.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »
Where do you get DB's and parts?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »
From wrecks mostly, and parts from EADS.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »
That unretractable tailwheel must add a ton of drag. 
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 02:19:53 AM »
It seems that the landing gear configuration is also different from the original as the oleo struts are quite a bit shorter. That means that also the landing gear bay is different from the original. I recall there was a Buchon that did not have a DB but the engine and mountings were modified so that in looked like it has one.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »
Charge, the oleo struts were pneumatically dampened. Over time they've just leaked and sagged to the completely depressed position. Fun fact: The Luftwaffe used to have 100 psi more in the left strut to compensate for engine torque on take off. When parked the 109s looked like they were leaning to the right...

The Flying Heritage Collection also use the same practice with their 109.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 03:21:34 PM »
That is probably the case. I could not find any evidence of the landing gear being different between Buchon and 109.
I presumed that since the prop axle was higher in Buchon they put in shorter landing gear to compensate for the worse visibility while rolling on the ground.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 02:44:57 AM »
AFAIK the Buchón was designed for a Hispano-Suiza, but ended up using a Merlin which spun in the opposite direction. That forced some changes on the fuselage and flying surfaces, but I've never heard about any modifications on the landing gear at all.

From what I remember it had the same vices as any other narrow-geared fighter during takeoff and landing, but that was never a serious issue for the pilots.

While the aircraft used a Bf-109G2 airframe, the new engine gave it performance that surpassed the G-6 in every respect except range and maximum ceiling. And all that while carrying two Hispanos on the wings and eight rocket launchers, no bomb racks or drop tanks were ever used. I guess range isn't really a problem when most targets are in your own country, even in your town. The magic of a civil war...
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »
The Buchon with the HS motor was/is dangerous to fly because the prop turned counterclockwise. The 109G had an asymmetric vertical fin with an airfoiled profile that produced a slight left movement of the tail, which counteracted the torque of DB605 (is this modeled in AH?). In the HS engined Buchon this exasperated the torque effects rather than counteract them.