Author Topic: Fester Map  (Read 6631 times)

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: Fester Map
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 08:36:45 PM »
All of the tankers would be in the middle spawn camping with flyers bombing them while being vulched. Looks like Fester discerned the heart of why the TT island with 3 airfields and GV bases radiating inward works. Then turned that into a full grown map. I can say for my squad POTW, the center ring of airfields would become pick a fight central. This place will not be safe for anyone trying to nibble around avoiding combat. If you want to win this map, bring a mega hoard and swamp the place. Or just accept grudge match fighting field to field.

Skuzzy the worst this map will do is cause players to complain that they have to fight for every inch of it. I think that was Fester's point in creating it. Please put it in rotation. But, when you distribute the strat, move all of the HQ back 2-3 sectors. Radar will be life itself here.

This is a furballer and GV spawn fighter's map.

This  :banana:
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 06:07:39 AM »
herr derp whah?

its tradition i make a new map right before the terrain engine gets a revamp i think :)

I been working on the road out of town past year and not been able to lug my flight gear with me but I will try to get it setup and have a look at the map i haven't looked at it since i submitted it a while back.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 06:09:10 AM »
i would like to distribute the strats along the road in a straight line from hq to the tank town in center with most valuable targets closest to hq.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 06:12:19 AM »
im gonna have to fire up the terrain editor and tweak the strats to fit with the new strat dispersion i think?

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 06:18:10 AM »
As far as I cann see at a glance, it's not an issue. Only the Vbases are that close to begin with, and even those seem to be spaced apart far enough to prevent that. I tested to very close VBases: Changed one to an enermy field then upped a Storch towards it. Still took me a while to get into the auto ack range (which is about 1.5 miles)

What I found to be an issue in the custom arena was that some CVs where spawning right in front of an enemy port instead of their own. For example C235 spawned in front of enemy port P249, but C231 and C250 were spawning at that very same location too. At least in the custom arena, CV placement seems to be a mess.

this is deliberate lusche. it was to facilitate making the cv fight vs cv fight more likely with a capture target and two fleets checkmating each other in close proximity.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »
In some sense this map looks like CraterMA with all of the mountains flattened so no one can hide from each other. The center ring of airbases means picking fights is, loose your base or fight. Including your GV bases. But the way the next ring is setup, your counter attack is always minutes away.

There looks to be so many ways to end up in vicious fighter\GV stalemates of kill or be killed. To which the back field of each country proper is a bomber conveyor belt line to feed bombers safely to the fronts while getting alt.

The only major downside is the late night low numbers greifer bunny's will roll as many unprotected fields as possible into one country's backfield. And turn it into a cornered ratz scenario with no real way out for the next evening's night time crew. And with the current lack of willingness in the MA to fight and capture territory these days. Kind of like Midway and his stunt closing down TT during off hours. At any time the knights could have rolled V100 with Lancs and taken it back in minutes.

If and when that happens, chances are the other two countries will stop fighting each other and crapola on the third country's fun. It will be an impromptu JSO without the organization but, just as frustrating for the crapoloa'd country as JSO was for the whole MA years ago.

This map is a double edged sword.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 08:08:35 PM »
this is deliberate lusche. it was to facilitate making the cv fight vs cv fight more likely with a capture target and two fleets checkmating each other in close proximity.

At best, you will have a constant artilleryfest, as none of the three CV is very likely to get anywhere else. That's not really "CV combat" as far as I am concerned.
And with much less than 100 players on for about half of the day, it might even totally break any "standard" gameplay with having three constant, but very limited hotspots like this. In the long run, that is, as by experience the majority of players take a long time to figure things out.

After a few times in the rotation, everybody knows what's up with these three points.

For everybody not having seen the map yet, here's what we are talking about:

There are three such places on the map with all countries involved. C235 spawns there from an uncapturable port, so it will always be up there. C250 spawns from that port and C231 from yet another uncapturable port again. So you are never going to break that situation at all.

Overall I'm afraid this map will suffer more than others from the low player numbers at any time but US peak.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 01:10:22 AM »

At best, you will have a constant artilleryfest, as none of the three CV is very likely to get anywhere else. That's not really "CV combat" as far as I am concerned.
And with much less than 100 players on for about half of the day, it might even totally break any "standard" gameplay with having three constant, but very limited hotspots like this. In the long run, that is, as by experience the majority of players take a long time to figure things out.

After a few times in the rotation, everybody knows what's up with these three points.

For everybody not having seen the map yet, here's what we are talking about:

(Image removed from quote.)

There are three such places on the map with all countries involved. C235 spawns there from an uncapturable port, so it will always be up there. C250 spawns from that port and C231 from yet another uncapturable port again. So you are never going to break that situation at all.

Overall I'm afraid this map will suffer more than others from the low player numbers at any time but US peak.

Depends on what you call suffering.  Tagma will probably be on for another 7 days and quite frankly, any map that stays around that long rubs me.... the wrong way.  At least the fleet battles will have the opportunity to spawn brief furball situations.  Now, I know Knights won't get tired of that.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 03:28:25 PM »
Probably a small adjustment for enabling a base near HQ for ME163s.  Looks like it could be fun.
"One-Eye"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 05:18:35 PM »
Once the late night low numbers crew does segregate one country to it's back field bases, the double edged sword can come back to bite the two other countries. Unless they both focus on the third country instead of wasting resources on each other. Breaking out of the pocket can happen quicker than you would think. The map lends itself to using over whelming force in straight lines against single objectives.

Knowing the knights as I do, I will project Knight land will receive the brunt of this kind of griefing. Due to the overwhelming country trait of very rarely getting it's large group steam roller hind end in gear to save it's own ignoramus. The knights these days have too many who like to hide in tin cans and ignore everything else.

So Skuzzy, please bring this heart breaker on. You can always rule# my fellow knights who will whine later at you. It will be their own fault if they hid in tin cans and let the kiddies abuse them with planes. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 06:33:46 AM »
What's the latest on the Fester map?  Sure would be great to fly over some new territory :)

Offline Mitchell

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 04:00:36 PM »
I hope it is up after the current map, considering what the man said...

We will probably put it up, but it will have to wait until next week.

Someone hurry up and win the map. I want to play the new one before i go back to work Thursday.

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 02:20:44 PM »
maybe they meant next week like not this week but like next week, maybe..
- TWBYDHAS

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2014, 02:53:52 PM »
It is in the rotation. 

Comes up after 'smpizza', which is after 'tagma'.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 02:55:30 PM »
ty skuzzy
- TWBYDHAS