Author Topic: Thoughts on missions  (Read 4713 times)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: Thoughts on missions
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 02:44:07 PM »
Smash and grab?.

You mean Hording :old:

MIssions are put together by Alpha males for no other reason than to be the big man

Jayro says meet on SE in 3 minutes in what ever you like which is how it should done :)

It is anoying when people complain because we lose a base when they are on other side of the map sat in the tower :old:

This is simply unacceptable.  :mad:

SKUZZY!  :cry

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 03:33:44 PM »

No.. That is hordeing.  a mission is a well planed attempt at a specific target with a specific goal. When I was with the Jokers we would routinely run missions. 5-6 of us could easily smash and grab bases all day.  Our bomber would come in medium alt, followed by our Jabos and M3 or goon. 1 set of lancs would WF the town, Jaybos would drop FH's then proceed to deack town. by then troops are already running.

a single defender would have easily kill your goon.  you hit undefended bases.  I have taken bases all by myself or with the help of 1 friend.  good thing nobody upped to defend.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 03:47:04 PM »
a single defender would have easily kill your goon.  you hit undefended bases.  I have taken bases all by myself or with the help of 1 friend.  good thing nobody upped to defend.

semp

No,  pay attention. Jabos drop FH's = no defence. best they can do is up a GV and try to get to town. sometimes we'd even drop the VH though. and if anybody was already in the air, we were more than capable of taking them out before they found our goon.
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
I enjoy posting/running missions.  Some of the most satisfying have been using certain aircraft for specific roles.  Such has Hurris to cap a deacked airfield or FM2s for example.  Using jabos for their role, and 110's a role that suits their strength -- that sort of thing.

Being older, the imaginative element of the game satisfies me most contrasted to "how fast can we take this base."

My own personal bit of AH heresy is deacking an airfield, taking vh down, and leaving hangars up is great fun.  Let buffs and gv's nail the town.

Something along those lines I find most satisfying.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:00:36 PM by Hap »

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
Jayro's "heavy strike" hordies are only low altitude bait to serve up easy kills for his perked Corsair. 
Exactly, the reson I left the knights for a bit, said that on country, now Jayro wuves me  ;)

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 04:58:02 PM »
reson

:rofl

In all honesty, I like missions. I like themed mission but I also like the "just meet up on a runway with something that flies and shoots bullets". Rooks had a sick b24 raid that the 49th intercepted with a Japanese themed sweep. The thing that had finally got me to subscribe to this game rather than riding the 2 week train everytime a new computer was in my reach was one of 49Merlins gigantic b17 strat raids.
See Rule #4

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 07:26:56 AM »
Puma started a topic thanking ET on running some missions last night here...http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,364702.0.html

. .  . I would like to see if there are any others that think the missions should be more involved, or is the smash and grab type all any one really wants.

If you look at the base take success rate by the size of the airfield you start to understand the missions are complex already.  Complex from the standpoint of building a loosely formed working team in a very short period of time.  Our Rook missions have say a years average success rate of (WAGing here) 60% on small fields, 30% on medium fields and 5% on large fields.  Vehicle bases say 50%.

It is more about all being together than about what the mission accomplishes albeit base captures are a nice plus.  Some people are just rogues and don't care to join up and that is just fine too.

Keep in mind too one of the biggest problems is people remembering their target assignments.  What sounds simple becomes complex with everyday people mistakes.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »
  I love doing missions.  I really Appreciate ET for the missions he runs, and the way he runs them.  Due to bad timing, I have not been able to join one of his missions in a while, and I miss it. 

Joining a mission gives me a chance to work with a group of teammates for a common goal, and it is a lot of fun. 
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 02:02:17 PM »
 I love doing missions.  I really Appreciate ET for the missions he runs, and the way he runs them.  Due to bad timing, I have not been able to join one of his missions in a while, and I miss it.  

Joining a mission gives me a chance to work with a group of teammates for a common goal, and it is a lot of fun.  

imagine that, people playing a MMO game to play WITH other people.  Most would tell you this game is about vicariously living as chuck yeagers mentor mixed with a good ol fashion ego boost at the expense of ignoramus noobs.

:aok

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »
Puma started a topic thanking ET on running some missions last night here...http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,364702.0.html

I posted my thoughts on the missions I was in and was wondering what others think of missions and mission types.

I'm not here to "bash" Earl or anyone for that matter on how they run their missions. Earls a great guy and I appreciate ANYONE who runs missions in any form as I know how tough it is to do well, but I would like to see if there are any others that think the missions should be more involved, or is the smash and grab type all any one really wants.
:airplane: Thank you for your comment and I just made a post in the "O" club concerning that mission. I know everyone likes the "furball" or one on one air combat, but they thing that is going to add new players to the game are missions! A newbie can fly in a mission, in a bomber, and have a fair chance of landing and for that he or she will get a sense of accomplishment, especially as they see their name in lights!
I get complaints about placing mission posted notices in the text buffer, but until Hi Tech puts something on the clipboard map to let these new guys know there is a mission posted, we are going to continue to lose more players than we gain, when people come into to try out the game. If, a player gets shot down everytime he launches, after a while, they get discouraged and leave the game, so I think it will benefit everyone if we all put forth some effort to retain at least 25 or 30% of the new guys who try out our game!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 07:48:26 PM »
Smash and grab?.

You mean Hording :old:

MIssions are put together by Alpha males for no other reason than to be the big man

Jayro says meet on SE in 3 minutes in what ever you like which is how it should done :)

It is anoying when people complain because we lose a base when they are on other side of the map sat in the tower :old:

Ya I suppose that is what I mean by smash and grab.  :devil

:airplane: Thank you for your comment and I just made a post in the "O" club concerning that mission. I know everyone likes the "furball" or one on one air combat, but they thing that is going to add new players to the game are missions! A newbie can fly in a mission, in a bomber, and have a fair chance of landing and for that he or she will get a sense of accomplishment, especially as they see their name in lights!
I get complaints about placing mission posted notices in the text buffer, but until Hi Tech puts something on the clipboard map to let these new guys know there is a mission posted, we are going to continue to lose more players than we gain, when people come into to try out the game. If, a player gets shot down everytime he launches, after a while, they get discouraged and leave the game, so I think it will benefit everyone if we all put forth some effort to retain at least 25 or 30% of the new guys who try out our game!

Like I said Earl I appreciate what you do. You reasoning is sound as well. As for "everyone likes to furball" I think your wrong and that is why the missions are important.

From what people posted they seem to like the quick smash and grab type missions. Get a bunch people together roll over a base in one shot and get a goon in before any defenders can up.

Personally I prefer missions with a bit more substance. different elements, different targets, all working together to accomplish a mission objective. If the mission objective is to take the base, then I don't see any reason to leave until it's done. The other night we did seem to have plenty of "chiefs" and I think it took away from the missions I like, but that is what got me thinking that maybe that is they way people like to fly missions now.

Thanks. 

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »

No.. That is hordeing.  a mission is a well planed attempt at a specific target with a specific goal.

Maybe to you.  I once ran a mission with 30 light Spit IX's to clear an area that was being hoarded.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline darkzking

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 10:14:46 AM »
I once led the knights on a GLORIOUS p39 fighter sweep in which we taught the bish what true fear looked like.
raynos32 Leader of the 242nd Sloppy Terminators
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
See Rule #4

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 10:27:35 AM »

I posted my thoughts on the missions I was in and was wondering what others think of missions and mission types.

I'm not here to "bash" Earl or anyone for that matter on how they run their missions. Earls a great guy and I appreciate ANYONE who runs missions in any form as I know how tough it is to do well, but I would like to see if there are any others that think the missions should be more involved, or is the smash and grab type all any one really wants.

The current mission editor doesn't help.  There was a time when you could put together a mission and on one plan have 5 or 6 different aircraft leaving from different fields fly different routes and each route was displayed on the mission map with staggered departure time and assigned altitudes.  I know AH says that the same thing can be accomplished with the current tool, but I have tried and it's not easily done and almost impossible to coordinate the different plans that must be posted to accomplish the same thing.

There would be better, more complex mission plans if we have a better tool.   So for now the general announcement  over text that everyone interested in capturing so and so field meet at airfield X on the NE runway  in a Heavy fighter  is just much simpler and faster to get a mission launched.  No one is interested in flying more then 1 sector , let along flying 3 or more sectors to rendezvous at altitude with bombers in bound to a target another 3 sectors away to provide high cover.  Its tough enough to try to find one guy that can actually hit an assigned target let along get 6 to fly as a winged element to attack a specific target after navigating a serpentine route laid out on their mission map , that is if they even know how to view assigned routs.

Gone are the days when WWII enthusiast, planned and built the complex missions reminiscent of the actual 8th air force missions.  Today it appears that anything that involves any thought or commitment of time is frowned upon.  Pilots only want to drive direct A to B .  While each side appears to have several mission gurus that because of their popularity or Good Old Boy status are able to muster a hoard/mission/following , to roll fields, not very much planning is put into the next base capture, seldom is a formal mission posted.  I can only speak for Knights as my experience is limited to that team, our mission guru, has what appears to be an unnatural hatred for Bishop and all of his efforts with few exceptions are to run his missions against Bishop real estate.  Even when its so lopsided as it was the other day , Rooks 100 fields, Bishop 60 fields, Knights 80 fields, the Knight mission guru continued to call for mission/hoard action against Bishop fields, with no thought to the fact that at that point he is actually working the numbers to favor the Rooks for a win and like lemmings the Knight followed.

The demand by the player base for instant gaming action with tiny maps and fields every sector has relegated any strategic game play as useless and as a result of the loss of strategic game play we now have what's left.  A once popular game that is perhaps in its twilight years, with dwindling numbers/revenue , at some point it will hit the break even point and that will be it.  HTC has very expensive hobbies, this game won't be one of them.    
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 11:05:37 AM »
To be honest I love to attack missions more than I like to take part in them. :old:
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"