Author Topic: Thoughts on missions  (Read 4711 times)

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
Re: Thoughts on missions
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2014, 10:32:01 AM »
This is one time that I believe all 3 countries were in agreement, that Rooks needed to win the war. :rofl

The reason i joined a long GV drive mission instead of pressing "the war effort".... Hurry up and win the map dang-nabit!
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2014, 10:37:35 AM »
Maps are mostly irrelevant to me, except as eye-candy. I like the one that has lots of snow-capped mountains. I have no idea what it is called. Oh, and smaller is always better these days, given player numbers.

Also, with the new Fester map, you should have plenty of opportunity to do whatever you please..... except re write history.  FYI, HTC never models any ordinance load that wasn't in use during the length of WW2.

I do not understand how this point relates to my point.

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »
To be honest, I don't understand what motivates people to make a sleek fighter into a wallowing pig by strapping on bombs in order to attack buildings in the interest of "winning teh war for da team" and all that. This is a game where you are basically allowed to play aerial chess and hunt other humans in some sense, and you want to spend your play time moving mud? Mindless collectivism at its finest, IMO. However, it does give the hunters some nice targets.  :aok

You must really be upset with the 113th Lucky Strikes when we show up with our wallowing pigs, Heavy P38Ls and fight our way in to totally destroy our targets and then fight our way out to RTB.  Now I'd say that's aerial chess at it's best.  We repeatedly beat the sleek fighters with our wallowing pigs.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »
You must really be upset with the 113th Lucky Strikes when we show up with our wallowing pigs, Heavy P38Ls and fight our way in to totally destroy our targets and then fight our way out to RTB.  Now I'd say that's aerial chess at it's best.  We repeatedly beat the sleek fighters with our wallowing pigs.

The P-38L is a fine fighter aircraft, but your statistics of 8 kills to 50 deaths in the thing suggest you might want to try flying it light for the next tour or three.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2014, 05:45:37 PM »
I enjoy posting/running missions.  

I joined 1 mission in about 3 years - and it was lead by Hap  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2014, 06:14:48 PM »
The P-38L is a fine fighter aircraft, but your statistics of 8 kills to 50 deaths in the thing suggest you might want to try flying it light for the next tour or three.

Dude, forget about the scores! They are easily manipulated and don't show a real showing of a player in the game. Traveler and his crew usually not more than 3 or 4 guys hit bases by themselves. Target is priority one, covering a buddy is two, and getting home in one piece about 163rd. They are one of the few squads in this game that don't run away when some defense shows up. They pretty much always fly together. They are a great fight.

They are the type of players this game needs, NOT guys who circle above a fight looking for a quick opening to take the least chance of getting in a fight to dive through with hopefully a perfect single burst shot to run away and repeat once they regain their altitude, because heaven forbid I mess up my score! I won't get my allowance this week! 

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2014, 06:55:35 PM »
Dude, score can be gamed to a certain extent and its meaning as regards skill is always diffuse, but 8 kills in about 50 or more sorties indicates an almost total lack of effectiveness in flying the P38 as a fighter aircraft. If a guy had a ratio approaching 1 to 1 but always waded in like a berserker, that would be one thing. But 8 to 50? Please, to say those numbers are compatible with excellent fighter flying stretches the limits of reason.

Dude, forget about the scores! They are easily manipulated and don't show a real showing of a player in the game. Traveler and his crew usually not more than 3 or 4 guys hit bases by themselves. Target is priority one, covering a buddy is two, and getting home in one piece about 163rd. They are one of the few squads in this game that don't run away when some defense shows up. They pretty much always fly together. They are a great fight.

They are the type of players this game needs, NOT guys who circle above a fight looking for a quick opening to take the least chance of getting in a fight to dive through with hopefully a perfect single burst shot to run away and repeat once they regain their altitude, because heaven forbid I mess up my score! I won't get my allowance this week! 

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2014, 08:19:16 PM »
To be honest, I don't understand what motivates people to make a sleek fighter into a wallowing pig by strapping on bombs in order to attack buildings in the interest of "winning teh war for da team" and all that.

I suspect it has to do with allowing players to feel a sense of accomplishment through teamwork and that it's a prominent mechanism built into the game.  Not to mention capturing territory is a feature of most war scenarios, that it's a way to get under your opponent's skin and there's a small perks reward for winning the war among a mutlitude of other reasons.

To be honest I don't understand how you don't understand this.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
I suspect it has to do with allowing players to feel a sense of accomplishment through teamwork
Accomplish what precisely? An unmoving building is quite dead now?
To be honest I don't understand how you don't understand this.
This is a game wherein one can essentially hunt other humans, pitting wit, skill, and trickery against other human minds. Pursuing "The Most Dangerous Game" as it were, all the thrill of the chase, none of the guilt involved in killing an animal.

And given the opportunity to engage in this grand joust, a lot of players still choose to move virtual mud for the "greater good" of some completely arbitrary team composed almost entirely of strangers :headscratch: Taste is inarguable, but at least from my own POV this taste seems very strange!

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2014, 08:43:48 PM »
Most missions are made to kill a fight or take an undefended base....it's a very small minority that seem like actual fun.

Best missions are the ones going into a huge red dar bar
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
Most missions are made to kill a fight or take an undefended base....it's a very small minority that seem like actual fun.

Best missions are the ones going into a huge red dar bar

Missions where the battle-plan is stated as "Take our fighter planes against the other fighter planes in a semi-coherent manner" don't get many joiners though. You can get people to volunteer for augering into buildings easier, seems like :devil

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »
Chewy used to run some fun missions. Some were all stukas, d3s, b5s,, etc. I believe he called them Leroy Jenkins missions.

Is he flying under another handle?
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:51 PM »
Accomplish what precisely? An unmoving building is quite dead now?This is a game wherein one can essentially hunt other humans, pitting wit, skill, and trickery against other human minds. Pursuing "The Most Dangerous Game" as it were, all the thrill of the chase, none of the guilt involved in killing an animal.

And given the opportunity to engage in this grand joust, a lot of players still choose to move virtual mud for the "greater good" of some completely arbitrary team composed almost entirely of strangers :headscratch: Taste is inarguable, but at least from my own POV this taste seems very strange!

I haven't participated in a mission in six or more years, outside the very few I've organized in that time (four to be exact), however, if others didn't find playing the land grab game fun I'm afraid there would be even less fighting than you currently enjoy.

I hardly play anymore and should just probably hang up my subscription so go ahead and drive away more players with your elite attitude.  If I do stick around (most likely) I'll expect to see you demonstrate your skills in the next dueling tournament.

BTW, the mud movers do participate in the "grand joust".  Their mission is to get in, effect the take and land safely.  Hmmm... chess with other real humans.

BTW BTW, I know you love to bring player scores into every argument.  Go look at mine and tell me how much base taking and mud moving you see.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:03:57 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2014, 06:33:42 AM »
I tried to look up 113th Lucky Strikes squad scores for attack but could not get the name right.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »
I hardly play anymore and should just probably hang up my subscription so go ahead and drive away more players with your elite attitude.  
The fact that I don't understand the motivation does not reflect a desire to drive subscriptions away, as if our remarks on the BBS had anything at all to do with number of subscriptions. Lemmings are another incomprehensible mystery of nature, but I'm hardly for exterminating the creatures.

BTW BTW, I know you love to bring player scores into every argument.  Go look at mine and tell me how much base taking and mud moving you see.

The man made this claim:
  We repeatedly beat the sleek fighters with our wallowing pigs.
Which at least in the personal case is made doubtful by the pertinent statistics.