Author Topic: 20 years since Air Warrior, Warbirds, etc.....  (Read 5917 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: 20 years since Air Warrior, Warbirds, etc.....
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 12:38:12 AM »
LOL.  I remember adding 1mb of video RAM to my existing 1mb of on-board VRAM for my IBM video chip to improve performance in the game.  My machine had 16 mb of RAM (upgraded) and an awsome 150 Mhz Intel Pentium processor.  It was near the top of the line at the time.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
 I started on AW way back in the days of the number id's. Small windows. I remember when we finally got to play with a full screen I flew for a long time with the window. Just couldn't get used to the full screen.
 Unfortunately I don't have anything left from those days but memories. Did make some friends there that I still hang out with.  :airplane: :joystick:

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2014, 01:17:50 PM »
I started on AW way back in the days of the number id's. Small windows. I remember when we finally got to play with a full screen I flew for a long time with the window. Just couldn't get used to the full screen.
 Unfortunately I don't have anything left from those days but memories. Did make some friends there that I still hang out with.  :airplane: :joystick:

Yep same here. Air Warrior DOS I was 5340, Jager

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:50 PM »

I flew in the last flight in Air Warrior (on Dec. 7, 2001, the 60th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor).

After the demise of Air Warrior, I looked around for the best on-line flying with the best community, and of course found Aces High.  It is a dream come true.

Me too. 7 December is my birthday. Worst. Birthday. Ever.

Last person I chatted to in AW was Arlo. I still haven't managed to scrub myself clean.
Retired

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 03:51:06 AM »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2014, 05:30:26 AM »
Some of us at the last UKAW Con (held a few days after 9/11 :( ) were treated to a preview of AW4 by Spiff - some screenshots:

Shame it never came to be.....   :cry
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:32:00 AM by Flossy »
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 09:36:50 PM »
Airwarrior was such a mind blowing game for the time for those of us old folks who'd spent much of our childhood building model airplanes and flying them around the room.  To know that you were actually 'flying' against other real people was something I'd never have imagined as a kid.

As for the game vs AH, the only thing I'd say that is a big difference is at one point Airwarrior was not win the map.  It was big enough and had enough things for the bomber guys to do that impacted the 'war' while allowing the fighter drivers to duke it out too.  When Airwarrior went to total land grab it changed things.  I remember the night the map was 'won' for the first time.  The closer it got to happening the more folks switched sides to be on the 'winning' team.  A few of us diehards tried to hold it off but got overwhelmed by numbers. 

I've always felt that was a real turning point in the evolution of online air combat.  The community was smaller too so I think it was easier to get to know people.  You got to know who would be flying when and from where so finding the fight, or the bomber run or the vulch fest was easy depending on what you wanted to do.

That's not a knock on AH as I've had some incredible times playing AH as well.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2014, 10:26:40 PM »
Airwarrior was such a mind blowing game for the time for those of us old folks who'd spent much of our childhood building model airplanes and flying them around the room.  To know that you were actually 'flying' against other real people was something I'd never have imagined as a kid.

As for the game vs AH, the only thing I'd say that is a big difference is at one point Airwarrior was not win the map.  It was big enough and had enough things for the bomber guys to do that impacted the 'war' while allowing the fighter drivers to duke it out too.  When Airwarrior went to total land grab it changed things.  I remember the night the map was 'won' for the first time.  The closer it got to happening the more folks switched sides to be on the 'winning' team.  A few of us diehards tried to hold it off but got overwhelmed by numbers. 

I've always felt that was a real turning point in the evolution of online air combat.  The community was smaller too so I think it was easier to get to know people.  You got to know who would be flying when and from where so finding the fight, or the bomber run or the vulch fest was easy depending on what you wanted to do.

That's not a knock on AH as I've had some incredible times playing AH as well.
I quit playing AW in 1999, I remember base capture, but I had no idea there was a way to win.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
I quit playing AW in 1999, I remember base capture, but I had no idea there was a way to win.

Ask any Black Widow vet - only squad to ever capture and win (Dottering old fool that I am - was it Whitecap?    :x

NwBie

That was a wild night - I was just a real newb when we did that...I had no clue how rare that was, Teufl was the CO, Gonzo,Pacman, OHIO, DieAz, Spacer, and a few others that I haven't thought of for years.. was a fun squad

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2014, 12:35:36 AM »
 The thing about AirWarrior was that it was fun. This game is fun at times but there are so many ongoing irritations. There were HO shots in AW but it was infrequent. Bombers couldn't dogfight. Shooting someone at 800-1000 yards didn't happen. You had to close in to shoot your opponent.
 We had a lot of great dogfights there. Now it's take a base, win the map.

I would have expected that 15+ years after AirWarrior the next game would have taken a huge step forward. It hasn't. That is sad. There was some hope this would happen when I saw IL2 the first time and sat in my cockpit and it was raining. That was amazing at the time. What do we get same sky every day. Same scenario.

Offline VoX

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2014, 09:24:21 AM »
Shout out to my Italian boys of the 51° Stormo 'Gato Nero'! They taught me the joys of flying online in Air Warrior many moons ago.  :salute

AH beta was a revelation to me back then and I've been coming back ever since. I wonder what the future holds!

:noid

He should not still be getting in here, next Chris, StSanta and Wastel will be posting!
Shoot! I smell Zack! Doom's a Fairy, Jimmy's a drunk, RT is very suspicious!
how do I start my engine...no seriously, How?

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2014, 01:42:34 PM »
Wastel just contacted me through the IL2:BOS forum! :)

The old dogs are coming back...
Real men fly Radial!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2014, 05:50:28 PM »
Bombers couldn't dogfight.

I beg to differ.  The A-26 was a capable dogfighter, especially with a gunner on board, and deathstars were often seen in the midst of furballs.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »
I do remember squeaking about the b25 turning tighter than a 109f.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Chanter

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »
1841 Fleet Air Arm