Author Topic: The next step  (Read 2319 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: The next step
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 02:43:56 PM »
The Spit9 is a noob plane because it turns well, is very forgiving and has lethal weaponry.  If it were anywhere near as fast as the P-51, the latter would be relegated to full time bomb truck duty.  Less people fly the Spit9 because it can't run away.  People are much more concerned with their kill counts than learning to fight.

Yes caldera but it really isn't for new players though because you will lose E very quickly in it. It can get ropped very easily. Once you get in the furball it is difficult to get out because many people like to attack them, it's not the best diver, and it it moderately fast. So just because it turns quite well doesn't make it quite a noob plane, but it still is a fun plane to fly.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »
I've recommended both the FM2 and spit 8/9 in the past.  For those that want to get good in the blue birds eventually I normally recommend the FM2.  it will give you the basics to work with toward the Hellcat or Corsair in both flap work and trying to maintain E states, plus it takes so much abuse it tends to linger in a fight long past where most planes would have been dust.  For most I recommend the Spit 8/9, for it takes a lot of the flap work out of the equation and lets the student concentrate more on ACM and tactics and less on keeping the aircraft from stalling.  I could see the N1K being a good starter plane, except for the 4x20mm and tons of ammo to go with them will possibly cause some gunnery bad habits.  I know I even tend to be wastefull with ammo with that thing, I do like that bird though becouse it doesn't have many quirks and flies much like my beloved F4U in many ways.

:salute
BigRat   
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
My goal has been retention of e, how to force overshoots, capitalizing on the over shoots.  I'm also learning how to force my fight and bring enemy cons down.

My question is, what plane should I begin toying with that's just one step above the Brewster to accomplish the above said.  

I'll agree with Glzsqd.  The Hellcat requires careful energy management, very careful, and (like your Brew) lacks speed, but is otherwise an enormously capable plane, which will also teach you quite a bit about flap usage.  People whine and moan about its limited rear view, but frankly I've never found it to be a problem.

I'll disagree with the others about the Spit.  If you've learned to fly the Brew well, you can also fly the Spits well.

- oldman
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:34:56 PM by Oldman731 »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 08:27:18 PM »

I'll agree with Glzsqd.  The Hellcat requires careful energy management, very careful, and (like your Brew) lacks speed, but is otherwise an enormously capable plane, which will also teach you quite a bit about flap usage.  People whine and moan about its limited rear view, but frankly I've never found it to be a problem.

I'll disagree with the others about the Spit.  If you've learned to fly the Brew well, you can also fly the Spits well.

- oldman

Yeah the F6F is good, but I think it's little more difficult plane to learn to learn for the "next step" after flying the brew so much. I think the F4U, F6F and NIK almost fly exactly the same. Butttt each have unique preferences..my fav out of all of them is the f4U. The spit is prob a bit easier to fly. And I like what bigrat said about that flap work of the spit. However these flaps are the reason why a lot of people aren't effective in that plane, because deploying them too early can kill your E state and not putting them up at the right time can cause you to be too slow.

The thing is though bagrat, is that much like you said about the excess ammo will create bad habits , so will only being able to use 1 notch of flaps in fights.

Oldman. People " think" it's easy to fly and get kills and land them, but the majority of spit pilots you meet in the game aren't really that great because they don't understand situations and aren't good enough at defensive maneuvers to be effective. The way this plane flies is meant to get down n dirty but you have to know how to get out of the furball zone.  

The FM2 is the same as the Brewster. You won't be developing anything new in your skills archive.

The nik or F6F (which is even harder) or the spit 9 would be your best options. Hell I'd say fly them all. You don't have to to only know one plane.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:44:40 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 12:58:52 AM »
Less people fly the Spit9 because we have the Spit16, which is better in every way, except marginally worse in very slow turns, and that rarely comes into play in the MA.

The Spit IX is the best Spit in-game and if anyone thinks otherwise I challenge them to the DA.
Top Gun

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 05:12:25 AM »
The Spit IX is the best Spit in-game and if anyone thinks otherwise I challenge them to the DA.
Only reason to fly the Spit IX is to wear the pink skin. Nothing says "pimp" like a pink plane - except the leopard skin on the C205 obviously.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 08:43:39 AM »
Only reason to fly the Spit IX is to wear the pink skin. Nothing says "pimp" like a pink plane - except the leopard skin on the C205 obviously.

"It's pink...do you think that's Pepprr?"

"Yeah, gotta be."

"Okay...I'm in."

"Crap I'm down."

"In on Pepprr...crap she's on me."

"Hang on...hang on...got her! Wait, that's not Pepprr! WTF????"

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »
Spit 8 is a good starter plane to get the basics down

Fm2 for the same reason, yet can use flaps as well ( or if one must they can step up to Big blue  ie.. F6f Hell cat )

I would recommend staying away from any airframe that has (4) 20 mm cannons for armament......

If someone really wants to work on their gunnery along with their BFM skills, hop in a C202, or a P40C or P40E, or even a P51B

but the usual recommended beginner planes , I suggest the Spit 8 or Fm2 .............. similar to what Big Rat suggested......

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 04:55:34 PM »
Spit 8 is a good starter plane to get the basics down

Fm2 for the same reason, yet can use flaps as well ( or if one must they can step up to Big blue  ie.. F6f Hell cat )

I would recommend staying away from any airframe that has (4) 20 mm cannons for armament......

If someone really wants to work on their gunnery along with their BFM skills, hop in a C202, or a P40C or P40E, or even a P51B

but the usual recommended beginner planes , I suggest the Spit 8 or Fm2 .............. similar to what Big Rat suggested......

TC

I just dont see how an Fm2 would be a step up from a Brewster. It's like exact same plane, only different :D I think the nik is better to learn how to really use ACM in a lil bit harder plane to turn than those 2. But it still gives you the chance to work on turning in a slower plane and understanding stall characteristics. Forget about thev4 20mm for now.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »
P40

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 08:10:22 PM »
P40

That's a few steps beyond the next step.   :D
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 10:42:10 PM »
I'm back on a hellcat kick.  I did some studying and read about zoom climbing the brew and applied.  I'm basically attempting the same with the hellcat now. 
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 11:32:59 PM »
If you want a similar plane that will give you more success try the F6F.

If you want to expand on, and get better at the things you've been working on, try the F4F.

It depends on your definition of the next step... higher scores or better acm.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 11:49:43 PM »
if you want a plane that is slow.....that is step above the brew.....

where you absolutely must have good SA and ACM to survive because it is so slow...take the Hurri2C....

absolutely devastating killing power...in a slug...that turns very well....does not hold E well...

in the right hands it is deadlier then any mentioned....but it is very easy to fight against because it is so slow...so fighting someone who is methodical and well versed in ACM is difficult...but if they give you a tiny window...those 4 20's are about the best it gets ingame as far as taking out the enemy...hold fire until 300.....

avoid HOs at all costs...cut corners into them...maneuver under their nose so they don't see you.....

in the Hurri I killed 7 of 15 or so trying to kill me, and the only reason I didn't get more, I ran out of ammo. :t

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 12:04:36 AM »
If your gonna fly the hurri2 you need to be packing the 12 .303s. 

Wish we had the typhy with 12 .303s ;(
See Rule #4