Author Topic: Radar sector counters  (Read 772 times)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Radar sector counters
« on: August 29, 2014, 05:12:29 AM »
Seem dodgy.

For example, the other day I noticed a base flashing with radar down and nothing on bardar, no vehicle spawns to the field so I figured it must be an NOE raider.....so I upped to defend from another field nearby and headed straight for the flashing airfield.  I got to around 5 miles away with still nothing showing on dar when suddenly a bardar appeared.  Ok, so the NOE raider must have just popped up....however, not 10 seconds later an N1K appeared at 13,000ft.

I have this on film, but the film doesnt show my clipboard map.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: Radar sector counters
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »
It's been a problem for years.  Usually it seems to mostly occur near the strats, but this morning it happened where a base started flashing with no darbar until icon range and it was a Tempest at 15k.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:15:35 AM »
Yeah, old stuff.
Just yesterday i tried to keep a CV alive.

"Player: Look there's another con looking for the CV"
"Me: I can't see any darbar, is he NOE?"
"Player: No, look the darbar in 1-10, coming for CV"
"Me: I don't see any darbar."

And I never did until I got vis the 10k Tu-2's at the CV. And these bombers were crossing many sectors searching for the CV.

Just get used to it that some cons do make darbars only for a part of the players - 10K, 25K, doesn't matter.

Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:08:29 AM »
I had the same thing happen the other night.  I bombed a base and saw several boxes of bombers taking off.  After the bomb run, I turned to the direction I thought they went.  My TU's finally caught them, so I started calling out their position.  A bunch of folks called me a liar because they didn't see a darbar (though I did).  I was like "I am looking at them, really, it's true"...  If it wasn't for me being there, they would have gone undetected.

I guess it adds to the fun even if frustrating at times.  I wish I could figure out how to activate the cloaking device :)
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
Imperfect sector counters and whatnot make for more realistic gameplay in my opinion.  Intelligence reports have never been always 100% accurate in real life.

I've witnessed planes flying at 20K while not showing up on functioning radar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGsqueakMv12w
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 09:15:59 PM »
I guess it adds to the fun even if frustrating at times.  I wish I could figure out how to activate the cloaking device :)

An enemy is not visible to bar-dar while flying within the range of their own working dot-dar. Hence, becoming visible quite suddenly, when leaving their own dot-dar. At least this is how I understood what someone tried to explain, and it seems to match observations.

Looking at this the other way around to activate the cloaking device. Simply flying within your own dot-dar range should do it, if the above is indeed correct.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:33:38 PM »
An enemy is not visible to bar-dar while flying within the range of their own working dot-dar. Hence, becoming visible quite suddenly, when leaving their own dot-dar. At least this is how I understood what someone tried to explain, and it seems to match observations.

Looking at this the other way around to activate the cloaking device. Simply flying within your own dot-dar range should do it, if the above is indeed correct.

That's a new one on me.   Paging HTC...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »

I'm lost.  I see enemy on dar bar over their own base all the time?
AMAX  in game

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
Anyone who has participated in a defended base attack will realize that's not the case.  As soon as defenders lift the dar bar starts growing.  Anyone who has ever participated in an NOE raid that has "that guy" who can't seem to stay below dar bar altitude knows that's not the case.

Only HTC knows why the dar bar behaves this way, and they are somewhat silent on the matter.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 12:37:18 PM »
I would like to know if it's broken before I ask for a fix.  Is the odd radar a game feature or bug?  I took a break for few years and was surprised when squaddies and I were seeing different dar bar at the same time.  If its always been this way, I guess i just never noticed it before my break.
AMAX  in game