Author Topic: A More Interesting TA as a Bridge Between Old and New Players  (Read 1264 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: A More Interesting TA as a Bridge Between Old and New Players
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »
I've toyed with the idea of starting a newbie squad but don't have the time to commit to it.

The premise goes something like this:

The squad is open to new players after their two week free trial up to three to four months after subscribing at which point they are let loose to pursue whatever avenues they care to within AH.  Players in their two week free trial are allowed and encouraged to play with the squad but wouldn't be invited until they subscribe.

Bald,
   This is a great idea and concept,it gives the new player a feeling of belonging,would give them guidance and encourage them to explore all aspics of the game.

However it would be a boatload of work and require real commitment and stability.

I've been trying to do sort of something like this only I call it Morf's social club! There are a group of regulars who come to the TA and chase me around while trying to shoot me. We always BS each other and everyone learns something new almost every time!  I try to keep it relaxed and most dont even realize they are being taught as they dont feel the pressure to perform.

From experience many new players get intimidated,not by the smack talk but simply because they continually die each and every sortie,that can be hard to handle and a many reason I see new players give up.

Hajo brought up the old "kiddies pool", I think something similar would benefit AH,after a set time or certain points or accomplishments are achieved it's time to move on.IIRC your ammo was made ineffective or you couldnt load any,been awhile and I dont remember exactly.

Once the update is finished hopefully some of these concerns can be addressed!

:salute

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
If it was for the TA, for Ghost, for the trainers, for all the excellent sticks that hung out there in the TA, I never would have spent so much time in the game.

At one time the TA was a vibrant, exciting place. I remember upping bombers and having 5 or 6 fighters practicing attacks while I practiced gunning. Then that fantastic bombing range was put in for both dive bombing and rocketry. I always wondered what happened to it?

But I dont doubt one thing for a moment and thats the TA is tied directly to the overall health of the game.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »
So not so good players playing against more not so good players. . .do you progress?

Progress would be slower, however, it could give them a easier chance of a kill. And that could keep some from giving up.
I wonder how many have tried the two weeks, never got a single kill and constantly died; and then gave up ?

I've been here since Jan 2011 and I still get killed 4-5 times more than I kill. But, I'm still here, having fun flying P38s  :old:

LtngRydr

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:29:16 PM by Lab Rat 3947 »
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 04:35:35 PM »
Great idea!

+1
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 04:51:04 PM »
Heck give them unlimited time in the TA and the free two weeks starts the first time they log into any of the other arenas. This way the player can decide when to jump into the pool. Ta while limited is a great place to learn WITHOUT the pressure of having to do well.... what ever their expectations are.
+1
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »
Awesome idea
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women