Author Topic: Graphic Card Technical Issues  (Read 2358 times)

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
Graphic Card Technical Issues
« on: August 31, 2014, 07:44:43 PM »
I have a XTX Radeon HD 4760, 1 GB card.  It has a SVI and PCI 6 pin connection.

It crapped the bed and now my computer shuts down every time the card gets hot.

While it was functioning today, I removed the drivers and set up for a new card.  It still keeps shutting down...   :mad:

Went to BestBuy today and bought a new XTX R7 240, 2 GB

The Geek Squad said I didn't need to plug in the SVI and PCI connectors since I have a 700W power supply.

All this being said, I bought the damned thing and plugged everything in, turned on the computer and nothing. 

I believe I need a card with those 2, 6 pin connections.  I cannot find anything in my research to indicate a good upgrade or equal to the one I originally had and I can't figure out how in the heck to get the new one I have to work.

Anyone out there have any information I can use to get my new card to work?????

Ran into the virtual brick wall here...

:bhead

Any info is much appreciated!

<<S>>
SlipKnoT
 :rock
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Graphic Card Technical Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 08:09:35 PM »
I have a XTX Radeon HD 4760, 1 GB card.  It has a SVI and PCI 6 pin connection.

It crapped the bed and now my computer shuts down every time the card gets hot.

While it was functioning today, I removed the drivers and set up for a new card.  It still keeps shutting down...   :mad:    Went to BestBuy today and bought a new XTX R7 240, 2 GB

The Geek Squad said I didn't need to plug in the SVI and PCI connectors since I have a 700W power supply.

All this being said, I bought the damned thing and plugged everything in, turned on the computer and nothing.  I believe I need a card with those 2, 6 pin connections.  I cannot find anything in my research to indicate a good upgrade or equal to the one I originally had and I can't figure out how in the heck to get the new one I have to work.

Anyone out there have any information I can use to get my new card to work?????

Ran into the virtual brick wall here... :bhead      Any info is much appreciated!

<<S>>
SlipKnoT

You downloaded the XFX drivers and deep sixed the old ones for the 4670, correct (and didn't maybe remove something else)?    Also, the previous heat issue might have me wondering if your PSU might have been the ultimate culprit, as you said the new connectors were connected.    You might also have to change the SVI setting your BIOS, if that is a choice as I have never used it.

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 10:21:23 PM »
I am at a loss.

I plugged my old card back in and it runs then shuts down.

Continuous problems with "no signal". 

I removed all drivers from the old card.

I plugged in the new card and nothing...

I can hear the computer booting up.  Just no signal.

After my old card is cool enough, I plug it back in and it works.  But only for no more than 5 to 10 minutes.

I have to wait until Tuesday to talk to XFX customer service to see if I can get the new card to work.

I have two plugs that were used for the old card.  One says SVI and the other says PCI.  I assume these were to help power the old card.  I cannot find a single card anywhere that has 2, 6 pin connectors on the card like my old card has.

There has to be a way, however, I cannot get the monitor to work long enough to get into settings without the computer shutting itself down.

GGGHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

I feel like breaking something!!!!  lol

AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:06:54 AM »
I am at a loss.

I plugged my old card back in and it runs then shuts down.

Continuous problems with "no signal". 

I removed all drivers from the old card.

I plugged in the new card and nothing...

I can hear the computer booting up.  Just no signal.

After my old card is cool enough, I plug it back in and it works.  But only for no more than 5 to 10 minutes.

I have to wait until Tuesday to talk to XFX customer service to see if I can get the new card to work.

I have two plugs that were used for the old card.  One says SVI and the other says PCI.  I assume these were to help power the old card.  I cannot find a single card anywhere that has 2, 6 pin connectors on the card like my old card has.

There has to be a way, however, I cannot get the monitor to work long enough to get into settings without the computer shutting itself down.

GGGHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

I feel like breaking something!!!!  lol

Most PSU cables have PCI-E cables that are 8 pin, which will break down to 6 pin. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:24:12 AM »
What video cable are you using?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 01:46:43 AM »
Now that is utterly bullcrap! The efficiency of your PSU has nothing to do with the need of the power connectors of your video card! There's only so much power that can be directed through the pci-e slot, it's a standard to ensure compatibility. If a card needs more juice, then the extra connectors directly from the power supply to the card are needed. In your case the card being from the lower end doesn't need any extra power which is the only reason there aren't any connectors.

BTW what is SVI? Tried to google for it, but the closest I got was S-video which has nothing to do with power or efficiency. A misread SLI came to mind, but then again that's a purely nVidia thing, Crossfire being the AMD equivalent. Someone please clarify this to me.

@ SlipKnt: Since your computer will boot with the old card but not with the new, the new one is most probably dead on arrival.

Have you tried cleaning the old one? Sometimes simply de-dusting the fins and lubricating the fan's bearing can do wonders. If tearing the whole cooler system apart doesn't scare you, replacing the heat paste would be the next step in breathing new life to the old card. But truth to be said, it may have fried beyond repair so try the cleaning part first and just check with your finger that the fan rotates effortlessly. If the fan can easily be taken apart from the cooler (usually three screws between the blades) the bearing can be found under the sticker in the bottom. Sometimes there's a rubber cap under the sticker, sometimes it's permanently closed. One single drop is enough, I've read that sewing machine oil is a good choice. WD40 and such are too thin, they'll remove all lubrication in a day, breaking the whole thing!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 02:20:49 AM »
Now that is utterly bullcrap! The efficiency of your PSU has nothing to do with the need of the power connectors of your video card! There's only so much power that can be directed through the pci-e slot, it's a standard to ensure compatibility. If a card needs more juice, then the extra connectors directly from the power supply to the card are needed. In your case the card being from the lower end doesn't need any extra power which is the only reason there aren't any connectors.

BTW what is SVI? Tried to google for it, but the closest I got was S-video which has nothing to do with power or efficiency. A misread SLI came to mind, but then again that's a purely nVidia thing, Crossfire being the AMD equivalent. Someone please clarify this to me.

@ SlipKnt: Since your computer will boot with the old card but not with the new, the new one is most probably dead on arrival.

Have you tried cleaning the old one? Sometimes simply de-dusting the fins and lubricating the fan's bearing can do wonders. If tearing the whole cooler system apart doesn't scare you, replacing the heat paste would be the next step in breathing new life to the old card. But truth to be said, it may have fried beyond repair so try the cleaning part first and just check with your finger that the fan rotates effortlessly. If the fan can easily be taken apart from the cooler (usually three screws between the blades) the bearing can be found under the sticker in the bottom. Sometimes there's a rubber cap under the sticker, sometimes it's permanently closed. One single drop is enough, I've read that sewing machine oil is a good choice. WD40 and such are too thin, they'll remove all lubrication in a day, breaking the whole thing!

If he didn't plug in the PCI power plug(s) the computer won't boot with the new card. Also he should remove the other card unless he planes to crossfire them. Also all cards are not compatible for crossfire, which may lead to non-boot situation if both are connected.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 03:46:04 AM »
If he didn't plug in the PCI power plug(s) the computer won't boot with the new card. Also he should remove the other card unless he planes to crossfire them. Also all cards are not compatible for crossfire, which may lead to non-boot situation if both are connected.
There aren't any jacks to plug power in on the new card in question, based on Google picture search and one review. It's a low power card with a TDP of 50 W. On the other hand, the HD 4670 is also a low TDP card without a PCI power connector. Somewhere there's a typo in the name of the old card since it has been using the power plugs. There is no HD 4760 at all and there's no manufacturer called XTX either, Google suggests XFX instead ...
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 06:30:31 AM »
There aren't any jacks to plug power in on the new card in question, based on Google picture search and one review. It's a low power card with a TDP of 50 W. On the other hand, the HD 4670 is also a low TDP card without a PCI power connector. Somewhere there's a typo in the name of the old card since it has been using the power plugs. There is no HD 4760 at all and there's no manufacturer called XTX either, Google suggests XFX instead ...

Right, the card is very low power version. Geek squad should be taken in front of a firing squad for suggesting that.

Slipknt: If your computer didn't boot even once with the new card, return it to the shop ASAP. Get this instead: Radeon R7 260X. It will cost a few bucks more but it's way more powerful. Your current purchase is 67 bucks this new card will be around 112. If you want to play AH properly, you have to invest to the card a little.

If you want to do some research, here is a price/performance comparison article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-2.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:39:55 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 09:16:09 AM »

He minced somethings, so I am wondering if he used his phone.    His old card is a 4670 and XTX is XFX.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 09:41:51 AM »
My stupid fat fingers!  LOL

What I have that went bad...

XFX Radeon HD 4870  760M  1GB  DDR5  DUAL DVI  PCI-E

-The two connectors on the card are SLI (6 pin) and PCI Express (6 pin adaptable to 8 pin)

The one I purchased is the XFX R7 240, 2GB.

I will be taking this one back today. 

The original card is one I purchased with the computer for the sole purpose of playing AH2.  It is a $300 to $350 card.  My dilemma is I just moved back to TX and am unemployed for the brief moment.

The good (bad) news is I paid $100 for the card I just bought at BestBuy.  Meaning, bad I paid $100 for it, good that I am getting that money back.  There is a retail Tiger Direct 10 miles away from me I am going to go to today if they are open on Labor Day.  I should be able to get the right card there.

I hear you about the lining them up and shooting them...  LOL

Anyhow...   ...Once I get the card, I am going to break this one down and clean it better and oil it.  I read that in forums last night also.  I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to my post.  Thank you!!!!!

I will report back once I have it resolved.  Who knows.  Maybe I fix it, and get a new card and cross fire it!    :devil

Will report back when resolved!

:salute

Thanks guys!!!

SlipKnoT
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 10:13:50 AM »
Thanks for the clarifying information, makes much more sense now! Even the SLI connector which I believe is a standard 6 pin PCI-e connector renamed for nVidia SLI users! Easy to check: If the colours of the cables match, it's identical.

Good luck with the cleaning! I recall repairing a non-booting system once by just cleaning and oiling the video card. I don't know about vidcards whether or not they have a similar overheat protection to processors. If they do, that might save your bacon.

For what I've read about crossfiring or SLI'ing, they don't give that much of a boost to AH. One high end card would be more efficient than two mediocre.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 10:31:42 AM »
Thanks for the clarifying information, makes much more sense now! Even the SLI connector which I believe is a standard 6 pin PCI-e connector renamed for nVidia SLI users! Easy to check: If the colours of the cables match, it's identical.

Good luck with the cleaning! I recall repairing a non-booting system once by just cleaning and oiling the video card. I don't know about vidcards whether or not they have a similar overheat protection to processors. If they do, that might save your bacon.

For what I've read about crossfiring or SLI'ing, they don't give that much of a boost to AH. One high end card would be more efficient than two mediocre.

Yep as Bizman said Crossfire won't work for AH and you'll just buy extra trouble for yourself. Get the best single card you can afford instead. The tomshardware comparison chart is a good place to start.

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »
I picked up the XFX R9 270X

So far everything is installing well and seems to be downloading the drivers now.  Just trying to get the computer to pick up the card.  Not sure if I need to do something in BIOS yet or not.

Should be in the air soon though!!!   :joystick:    :airplane:

Thanks again for the information.  That tomshardware site had a ton of valuable information.

Thanks again peeps!

SlipKnoT
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »
Hopefully you've uninstalled all previous drivers before installing new ones. Since they're both AMD (I don't count the one which didn't even boot), using the AMD Catalyst Install Manager might be enough. You'll find it in ControlPanel->Programs and Features.

Kotisivuni