Author Topic: No country dar  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
Re: No country dar
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »
LOL Bishop saying that is ironic!  I say especially from a member of the darned! :old:

Not really.  When I fly Knits usually have numbers....but why quibble.

BTW...have you actually fought any member of The Damned? 
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline VuduVee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 12:52:25 PM »
rook HQ was down for hrs yesterday and i had no trouble at all finding fights. listen folks, sometimes in life, you arent going to get every thing spoonfed to you. you sometimes have to stop feeling entitled and spoiled like you deserve it just because you want it. sometimes you may have to actually look for the fight. its very easy to do. or you could easily start a fight.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »
sometimes you may have to actually look for the fight. its very easy to do. or you could easily start a fight.

Yup.   :aok
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »
rook HQ was down for hrs yesterday and i had no trouble at all finding fights. listen folks, sometimes in life, you arent going to get every thing spoonfed to you. you sometimes have to stop feeling entitled and spoiled like you deserve it just because you want it. sometimes you may have to actually look for the fight. its very easy to do. or you could easily start a fight.

Well, this is more like a classice BBS answer. Ignoring any rational facts and points presented and just spewing nonsense at the "opposition".

See Frenchy, that's how it's done!  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 01:07:56 PM »

Spoonfed would be asking to have DA-style radar or eliminate ENY or free perk planes. 

It is a combat game and darbars promote combat.  I can see someone that is always either base rolling or hovering over enemy runways* to not care about radar, but consider that offense without defense does not make a fight.  Having no idea which base to defend results in much wasted time, flying around looking for dots.  Or tedious resupplying of the HQ.  Both options suck. 

We don't need to play hide and seek here.  Don't you want the enemy to see you?  I mean that is, if you are interested in fighting.

*  Not implying this is you.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:24:23 PM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »
Spoonfed would be asking to have DA-style radar or eliminate ENY or free perk planes. 

I think if anyone is "spoon fed" at all, it's the Lancaster pilot. Who, on a map like sfma, all by his own and with next to no risk shuts down a HQ and thus all opposing players dar on that side for something like 100 minutes.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 01:30:06 PM »

I think if anyone is "spoon fed" at all, it's the Lancaster pilot. Who, on a map like sfma, all by his own and with next to no risk shuts down a HQ and thus all opposing players dar on that side for something like 100 minutes.

It seems like HQs are destroyed much more frequently this year.  Wonder if it is due to retaliatory escalation or just a higher % of griefers. 

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 01:32:08 PM »
In WarBirds there was no DarBar, but rather a colored arrow that pointed in the direction of the nearest enemy, or friendly. You then made note of the compass heading and flew in that direction until you either made contact, or another set of arrows came up pointing in a different direction. I mention this as a potential compromise to losing total DarBar as a result of losing HQ. Perhaps this method, or some similar facsimile, could represent the Coast Watchers, or ground personnel that were used to track aircraft in WWII when radar was not available. Bases would still flash but only at half the distance as they normally do if HQ was fully up, but if HQ is taken down fully, only the arrow (Coast Watching) system would be available until HQ is fully restored. Now this arrow would not appear on the Map, only in your cockpit, so you might have to communicate with your Team before taking off to be able to make full use of this secondary system; if you were already airborne, the system would take effect immediately.

Well, it's just a thought that needs to be fleshed out...

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »
It seems like HQs are destroyed much more frequently this year.  Wonder if it is due to retaliatory escalation or just a higher % of griefers. 

Personally, I would not call then griefers at all. The HQ is meant to be shut down, and they are just using a gameplay fuction AH deliberately provides. It's badly balanced IMHO, but that's not really their fault. After all, denying your enemy any kind of dar can be a huge asset to your side.
It would only be griefing in my book, if you would be able to kill your own HQ ;)

That being said... I think it just took some time for players to realize how much more significant the impact of an HQ run is, since the strats were changed. It used to be 45 minutes flat downtime with easier resupply.
Also, FESTER is the map with HQ being down much more often & longer than on others, and it's a new map. And it allows for easier HQ killing and more difficult resupplying than other maps.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
Personally, I would not call then griefers at all. The HQ is meant to be shut down, and they are just using a gameplay fuction AH deliberately provides. It's badly balanced IMHO, but that's not really their fault. After all, denying your enemy any kind of dar can be a huge asset to your side.
It would only be griefing in my book, if you would be able to kill your own HQ ;)

That being said... I think it just took some time for players to realize how much more significant the impact of an HQ run is, since the strats were changed. It used to be 45 minutes flat downtime with easier resupply.
Also, FESTER is the map with HQ being down much more often & longer than on others, and it's a new map. And it allows for easier HQ killing and more difficult resupplying than other maps.

Well I do, because the benefit to them is small compared to the jollies they get from pissing off an entire team (which they exclaim in joy to their team when they succeed).

This is from a different issue, but the problem is the same:

Quote from: hitech on November 29, 2005, 03:01:11 PM

Docs Idea of no ICons is not workable either. People want to fight, not fly around looking for a fight.No Icons has been tried, and very quicly becomes boring.

HiTech

HQ should be attacked and destroyed, I have no problem with that.  The result is what I have a problem with.  There are alternatives that have been presented in other threads which would benefit the attackers far more, without reducing the possibility of fights.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:54:47 PM by caldera »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 01:53:36 PM »
HQ should be attacked and destroyed, I have no problem with that.  The result is what I have a problem with.  

I wouldn't even have a problem with a result if the effort to destroy it was better scaled.

Last night, I think, it was a huge GHI mission that succesfully raided both city as well as HQ. Many bombers did fly and a lot of shots were traded. We Knights responded too slow and the Bish managed to take down our HQ despite some hefty losses. I think our downtime was way over 100 minutes.

I have absolutely no problem with such a result from events like this.  :old:

Offline 428CJ

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2014, 08:10:31 AM »
  3rd  day in a row - log on - No country dar!

RIDICULOUS 

I pay for this game to have fun - not spend my time trying to figure out what is going on.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »
killing hq should just kill actual dot dar..  turn all the rings red for good effect.

bar should stay up all times.  :aok
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 11:56:23 AM »
  3rd  day in a row - log on - No country dar!

RIDICULOUS 

I pay for this game to have fun - not spend my time trying to figure out what is going on.

Then pick a better country to fly for.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »
Then pick a better country to fly for.

As far as I'm aware the HQ settings and locations are about the same for every country ;)