Author Topic: Manual fuel tank selection: Does it Really Make a Difference?  (Read 2495 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Manual fuel tank selection: Does it Really Make a Difference?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 10:39:58 PM »
There may be reasons to manually switch fuel tanks but it's not going to give you a noticeable edge in performance or suddenly make you an ace.  If you can't overcome what slight differences might exist you have bigger problems.

I just leave every plane on auto switching. 

Also, FLS is correct, the auto switching is programmed to maintain balance.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »
Yeah I remember HTC stating that auto fuel tank select switches automatically to maintain cg. I just wanted to add that drop tanks do not take damage.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 04:16:45 PM »
There may be reasons to manually switch fuel tanks but it's not going to give you a noticeable edge in performance or suddenly make you an ace.  If you can't overcome what slight differences might exist you have bigger problems.

Agreed. 

Reminds me of the people who shoot off all their .30 caliber ammunition as soon as they take off, to save weight.

- oldman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »

I just leave every plane on auto switching. 

Also, FLS is correct, the auto switching is programmed to maintain balance.

In some cases though it is plane dependent.  IIRC, it's recommended to drain the tank aft of the cockpit first in the Mustang.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »
In some cases though it is plane dependent.  IIRC, it's recommended to drain the tank aft of the cockpit first in the Mustang.

ack-ack

Unless you have drop tanks the aux tank is auto drained first on the P-51. Since it switches based on CG the sequence varies with aircraft.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »
I like to change fuel tanks before they run dry.  I get shot a lot and this helps me make it back home.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »
In B-17 i always burn down AUX tank to almost empty first of all. Its the one getting hit 90% of the time and it had saved many missions when only a few gallons leak out of the already empty tank.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 10:38:46 PM »

ack-ack
You are correct.  It improves the C.G. and performance.  If memory serves correctly, the pilot's manual recommends leaving 25 gals in the fuselage tank for optimum performance.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »
In the 152 I drain the FWD tank dry once LW and RW hit 25% to save me when I get a fuel leak, it makes it slightly more unstable (or so it feels) but that can be used to your advantage.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech