Author Topic: P-38L Honey Bunny  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
P-38L Honey Bunny
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:16:32 AM »
I think this plane is a converted F-5F.  So far I can't pin down the nose art as having a WW2 origin.  Is this plane a good candidate for a skin?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-38L Honey Bunny
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:18:04 AM »
I think this plane is a converted F-5F.  So far I can't pin down the nose art as having a WW2 origin.  Is this plane a good candidate for a skin?

(Image removed from quote.)

I would say no, unless you can find artwork from WWII showing those markings.

Sadly, restored warbirds tend to not pay much attention to accuracy. Just look at the Marine's Dream Corsair...
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »
A modern warbird is not a good primary source for a skin, there is often a lot of fantasy regarding their markings or colours. Profiles and models aren't much better either. Personally before starting a skin I want at least one reasonable quality real life WW2 photo of the subject to compare to such secondary sources. If you can't find a WW2 photo of this aircraft you might try getting in touch with the owners of that plane and asking them about the scheme.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 12:12:11 PM »
Not wartime nose art.  Just the nose art of the current owner.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »
I was afraid that was the case.  Shame too.  One good looking P-38L.  I do understand the need for controlling the skins.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I will dig around a bit on authentic P38L plane art.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »
I have dug around a bit but could not find a WW2 paint job that painted the chin scoop-spinner facile faring like the Honey Bunny and a few other modern replica painted P-38s.

Would HTC reject the Honey Bunny skin solely on the bases of it not having WW2 traceability?  It would seem like since it is a show plane with national recognition it might have a place in AH.  It is one fine looking plane.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 12:09:38 PM »
Yes they will reject a skin unless you can prove it is a good representation of an actual WW2 aircraft.

Your best bet is to ask here for information. List all the features you would like to see for your scheme, like the painted nacelle front ends, then see if anyone here can come up with photos of an actual WW2 P-38 with those features.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »
Yes they will reject a skin unless you can prove it is a good representation of an actual WW2 aircraft.

Your best bet is to ask here for information. List all the features you would like to see for your scheme, like the painted nacelle front ends, then see if anyone here can come up with photos of an actual WW2 P-38 with those features.

Thanks Greebo for the answer and advice.  I wasn't sure from the previous replies if it was a preference or a hard rule.  Now I know.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 11:09:01 PM »
We decided you can have this paint job if you agree to use the same armament, meaning no 20mm cannon on your 38 and fake 50s :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 06:46:45 AM »
We decided you can have this paint job if you agree to use the same armament, meaning no 20mm cannon on your 38 and fake 50s :)

It would almost be worth it.  This last week I have been shooting with rubber bullets anyway. :aok

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 07:28:30 AM »

We must already have that.   Looking at my shooting it's the only possible explanation  :)
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.