Author Topic: Two monitors  (Read 1453 times)

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
Two monitors
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
I run two monitors, not to play Ace's High on but to do other things while playing Ace's. Problem is Ace's high locks up my mouse cursor so I cannot move it to the second screen. Why is that or is there a way to do it?  :headscratch:
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Two monitors
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »
That's because AH does only run in 'full screen' mode and not in 'windowed' mode, which would be necessary for using the second screen for other things at the same time.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:11:26 PM »
Did you try to alt-tab out of Aces High?

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 11:20:30 PM »
You are asking about Active Display Adapters. It is a device you will need to allow aces high display across multiple monitors.

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:51:49 PM »
You are asking about Active Display Adapters. It is a device you will need to allow aces high display across multiple monitors.

No, I think he clearly stated otherwise. The OP, like myself, has 2 monitors. One of which we use for functions other then AH, while we play AH.

Lusche was bang on the mark with his reply. AH does not have a "Full screen-Windowed" mode like many modern games have. You have to alt-Tab to access these other functions, and Alt-Tab is one thing AH does not like. I have Alt-tabbed back into game and suddenly it decided to lower all my display setting to the lowest level. Other times the game tabs out, but stays up Full screen. The only way get the cursor back into the game is to find the Start bar (which the game might still be hiding), and click the AH Icon.

I would like the option to run AH in "Full screen - windowed". Because long range bomber missions are great for catching up on videos.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:07:15 AM »
This and and similar posts make me wonder why people still complain about lag, warping, poor ping times, poor connections, anomalies in graphics, not being able to max everything etc. Those who read the Help and Hardware sections know what I'm talking about. There's a constant flow of people asking how to improve their frame rates without sacrificing their graphics too much, the first advice always being to cut background processes. Yet it seems that some people deliberately want to have even more of them running while playing. Vanitas vanitatum...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 03:55:38 AM »
This and and similar posts make me wonder why people still complain about lag, warping, poor ping times, poor connections, anomalies in graphics, not being able to max everything etc. Those who read the Help and Hardware sections know what I'm talking about. There's a constant flow of people asking how to improve their frame rates without sacrificing their graphics too much, the first advice always being to cut background processes. Yet it seems that some people deliberately want to have even more of them running while playing. Vanitas vanitatum...

Yes, people who have older PCs and bad connections should not try to run too many items at once. But for those who spent silly amounts on a powerhouse PC and have solid connections might wish to multitask. I was playing Heros of the Storm the other day and I did not realize that I had left Premiere Pro and World of Tanks running in the back round on top of a Twitch Live stream I was watching. HoTS ran fine with a stable frame rate, and I was able to click into the Twitch tab to Chat at any point without shudders. I would like a game, that has quite low system requirements to integrate better.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 06:05:05 AM »
IIRC HTC disabled the possibility to alt-tab and run out of the game to prevent cheating. Alt-tabbing to the desktop caused 'warp on demand' situations for example.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 06:59:32 AM »
I do the same thing.  I have the squad maps, and teamspeak up on one screen, and the game on the other.  The only way I have been able to get to the other screen to change the map, for example, is to hit the windows key which minimizes the game and allows me to do what I need to do.  Sometimes it doesn't minimize, and I have to alt-tab back in, as opposed to clicking on the game in the lower title bar. 

Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 07:04:04 AM »
IIRC HTC disabled the possibility to alt-tab and run out of the game to prevent cheating. Alt-tabbing to the desktop caused 'warp on demand' situations for example.

That never had been disabled. I still can alt-tab out of the game just fine. As a matter of fact, I do it very frequently. If I couldn't, I could not play at all.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 10:07:09 AM »
That never had been disabled. I still can alt-tab out of the game just fine. As a matter of fact, I do it very frequently. If I couldn't, I could not play at all.

Weird I had the memory that it was disabled to stop people from intentionally warping. I'm pretty sure that it's part of some sort of anti cheat mechanism also that you can't free your mouse from the game.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 10:11:44 AM »
Alt-tab should not induce warping.  If anything it would prevent warping as the game can run better when it does not have to render graphics.

That aside.  The game runs as a full window, which allows it to retain primary focus, in Windows, and not allow the cursor to be used outside the game when the game is being displayed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 11:02:32 AM »
No, I think he clearly stated otherwise. The OP, like myself, has 2 monitors. One of which we use for functions other then AH, while we play AH.

Lusche was bang on the mark with his reply.

:rock

I should have typed

Are you asking about active display adapter?  :bhead

:salute

:airplane:~<Dahmer

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
Yes, people who have older PCs and bad connections should not try to run too many items at once. But for those who spent silly amounts on a powerhouse PC and have solid connections might wish to multitask. I was playing Heros of the Storm the other day and I did not realize that I had left Premiere Pro and World of Tanks running in the back round on top of a Twitch Live stream I was watching. HoTS ran fine with a stable frame rate, and I was able to click into the Twitch tab to Chat at any point without shudders. I would like a game, that has quite low system requirements to integrate better.

I understand your point and yet I have to disagree with you: There's people who have spent silly amounts on their PC and still they can't get a solid 60 fps with everything maxxed in AH settings. And by everything I mean it literally, including the Environment Mapping slider. And at resolutions you'd get with triple monitors each doing at least 1920x1800.  I see it as a game around the game, trying to reach the top just because it's there. Us average Joe's, we're happy with a decent level of eye candy at playable frame rates. As for you having those two you mentioned running in the background while you were playing HoTS, I can figure out at least two reasons why they didn't interfere too much: You weren't actually doing anything with Premiere Pro or WoT, they were just sitting there in the memory spaces they had reserved. Furthermore I believe Skuzzy's words about the game running better when it does not have to render graphics are valid for WoT, too. Maybe even for Premiere, I don't know.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »
I use Alt-Esc, then click back to AH and have no problems. It takes a few seconds to render everything back.