Author Topic: Fury  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:25:35 PM by Arlo »

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fury
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 05:51:31 PM »
LoL, While I wouldn't call it completely poo poo :) I agree with your other comments, but I also wasn't expecting anything more than it was. It's easy to sell tickets to action and battle scenes and that's the route this film went.

The action was ok. It's what's between the action scenes that ruined it for me.

How would you know? I hear there was a Tiger.  :D

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20141017/OFFDUTY02/310170051/Troops-vets-get-star-treatment-premiere-Fury-

http://americanpowerblog.blogspot.com/2014/10/world-war-ii-veteran-says-fury-is.html

“What did I think? It was a great movie. But movies are always more than what it really was. That’s Hollywood,”

Seeing Tiger 131 in action was great, but ultimately that scene also was completely amateurish. Maybe I'm demanding too much...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
Ray Stewart said he was grateful and honored to have played a role in bringing the stories of the Hell on Wheels Division to light. He participated, he said, so his friends would not be forgotten.

“I’m glad they did it. I didn’t really know who Brad Pitt was before all this, but I think he and the other young men did an outstanding job,” Stewart said.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
And yet we have witnesses to the contrary in this very thread...

... a WWII vet in the crowd yelled, "That's bulls--t!"   Later in the hall he said, "They lied about my unit.  Only ten percent of it was true."
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »
And yet we have witnesses to the contrary in this very thread...

What did you base your opinion on? Weren't you the guy who exaggerated the Dresden fire-bombing (when it didn't need it)?

I'm surprised you think the hell of war could be over-portrayed.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2014, 06:28:03 PM »
 :huh

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »
Okey...  :confused: :cheers:

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2014, 08:34:38 AM »
I'm surprised you think the hell of war could be over-portrayed.

Not "over-portrayed"... Overplayed. I.e. "to present (a dramatic role, for example) in an exaggerated manner". It became almost comical, caricaturish. And the crew were all stereotypes and one dimensional. You have the new, naive, innocent young guy who didn't want to kill anyone, the religious guy spouting Bible verses every other sentence, the ruffian bully with bad teeth who brutalizes the new guy at every opportunity, the Mexican driver who is a bit daft and childish (comic relief), and the old-timer veteran cool guy who's the boss (guess who). Everything they did and said felt forced and unnatural. The brutality and violence was ok enough, but every time they had to do something brutal they used the new guy's inexperience as an excuse to explain to the audience why it was necessary. Sometimes it felt less subtle than the morality message at the end of a G.I. Joe episode. "We have to shoot these kids because they're running around with panzerfausts..." Like as if it wasn't obvious enough when these kids blew up their lead tank and burned the crew to death. When they were raping and pillaging a German village, that was actually the least forced and better part of the movie. Perhaps because they didn't try to explain the morality of it...

Tiger 131 was great though. Star of the movie.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:36:13 AM by GScholz »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 09:37:43 AM »
Not "over-portrayed"... Overplayed. I.e. "to present (a dramatic role, for example) in an exaggerated manner". It became almost comical, caricaturish. And the crew were all stereotypes and one dimensional. You have the new, naive, innocent young guy who didn't want to kill anyone, the religious guy spouting Bible verses every other sentence, the ruffian bully with bad teeth who brutalizes the new guy at every opportunity, the Mexican driver who is a bit daft and childish (comic relief), and the old-timer veteran cool guy who's the boss (guess who). Everything they did and said felt forced and unnatural. The brutality and violence was ok enough, but every time they had to do something brutal they used the new guy's inexperience as an excuse to explain to the audience why it was necessary. Sometimes it felt less subtle than the morality message at the end of a G.I. Joe episode. "We have to shoot these kids because they're running around with panzerfausts..." Like as if it wasn't obvious enough when these kids blew up their lead tank and burned the crew to death. When they were raping and pillaging a German village, that was actually the least forced and better part of the movie. Perhaps because they didn't try to explain the morality of it...

Tiger 131 was great though. Star of the movie.

Out of curiosity, what 'non-traditional/non-stereotype' charactures would you have preferred? There's only so far you can go outside the box before you get to a farce.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 09:41:09 AM »
SPR did it right. Band of Brothers did it right. The Pacific did it right. Believable characters with depth and personality.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »
SPR did it right. Band of Brothers did it right. The Pacific did it right. Believable characters with depth and personality.

So you would replace Fury's tank crew with which characters from any of the three examples you mentioned?

Offline Skull-1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2014, 10:59:55 AM »
Fury was fine.  It wasn't intended to be GONE WITH THE WIND but it was compelling enough.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »
Fury was fine.  It wasn't intended to be GONE WITH THE WIND but it was compelling enough.

Agreed, It wasn't intended to like Band of Brothers or the Pacific. While it was more along the lines of Saving Private Ryan, it did not hold a candle to it.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 08:04:38 PM »
Well as far as the character development goes, Band of Brothers and The Pacific had a whole freakin series to show depth and quality of their characters.  Saving Private Ryan is my favorite movie ever, but it is longer than a nightmare.  Fury did good with what they wanted to show in the length of the movie.  That being said, I'm probably gonna buy it when it comes out on DVD.   

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.