Author Topic: Skuzzy: ATT Outages  (Read 646 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Skuzzy: ATT Outages
« on: October 17, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »
Skuzzy,

Do you have any idea why ATT has been having rolling outages, sometimes one every 15-30 minutes for the last week? It cannot be a tantrum for that fine the got over cram down billing.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Skuzzy: ATT Outages
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »
I can only speculate as we are not AT&T customers.

Could have to do with the net neutrality things that are going on.  Then again, it could just be problems within the AT&T network.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:18:03 AM »
I think I know what the ATT outages are about.

Sunday my ADSL signal went dead. Monday I called tech support. The tech could see the interface on my ADSL device. Then I read the diag page to the tech. Suddenly he tells me the switch cannot push data to my modem anymore and I will have to be upgraded, oops, sorry. I'm connected with a U-verse rep who arranges an installer for the next day. So an internal installer sets up a VDSL\VoIP\IPTV line box and pulls CAT5 into my PC room. Sets up a 3801HGV gateway and UPS, then a line tech shows up to pull a 2-pair VDSL\VoIP\IPTV run from the pole to the line box.

ATT was switching off ADSL in my area and getting me off old school twisted pair, provider generated tone for my phone. At least I'm paying less than I did for ADSL and a land line and my download\upload speeds are now 3x what I was getting on ADSL for half the monthly fee.

So ATT is shaking the bushes to get everyone off ADSL.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 06:08:02 AM »
I keep wondering when land line phone companies will start loosing money on land lines then shutting residential land lines down.  Our phone book has really shrunk.

I have DSL but at&t doesn't plan too upgrade our area to U-verse or so I have been told.  I think I read at&t has stopped expanding U-verse so if you don't have it, you are not getting it.

How close are they to improving cell service internet access to the speed of dsl and cable?  That would be the end of residential land lines I would guess.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »
Will competitors take up the slack where U-verse expansion has left off?

In 1998 I watched ATT dig up all the streets here in Oakland and lay fiber. It wasn't until 2003 that they said my house, 100yds from the road they laid fiber in over to my local switch, was ADSL capable. The only thing they had to do was throw the switch from their end and I plugged in a frequency splitter dongle for land line phone and DSL. The modem set itself up and connected at power up. That was around the time Comcast made a big push in Oakland with it's cable internet service. I started putting in my zip code on the ATT availability site in 2001 to see if my part of down town Oakland was DSL ready. In 2003 when my zip code finally came back yes, service is available in your area. I used the automated sign up site to register my hookup ticket. The response screen said, proudly providing DSL service to Oakland since "1999". I was auto dropped a modem with dongles and instructions to plug it in after a certain date when my DSL service would be switched on.

Then when U-verse came online I started getting offers to switch over. I ignored them, and my routing started changing to gateways that dropped packets going out of state. Thinking it was my old modem I purchased a new ATT Motorola ADSL approved modem. Which upon registering on the ATT network, changed my gateway to one that didn't drop packets and gave me fewer hops to the game server with a shorter ping time. That was 2009 but, the letters and offers kept coming to switch to U-verse. Six months ago my routing was switched to a really crappy gateway that at least once a week made playing the game impossible. I started thinking about calling in and talking to tech support.

So as of this last Sunday the 26th, they just switched off my ADSL service in Oakland and forced me to call tech support. At least ATT had me back up and online inside of 24 hours from my call to tech support. It's kind of interesting that my gateway also has an IP6 address for VoIP. The U-verse rep agreed to leave my land line phone in tact. Yes the old handset still has tone. It receives it's tone from my gateway, not from the ATT switch. Yes ATT really wanted me fully on U-verse. So if there is a power outage, I can still dial 911 on my touch tone hand set as long as the RG, or residential battery backup that came with the ATT gateway still has power.

ATT is working very hard at getting out of the old tone wire and central switch phone business. Wonder how that works for people who live in fly over country who still rely on that central switch based phone tone?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing