Author Topic: I think I've been playing too much  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: I think I've been playing too much
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 04:08:13 PM »
Ill give that a shot, but my chair collapsed. I need a new chair.

Another tip of advice.  I found that a very comfortable chair to sit in had arms that I guess my elbows were supposed to rest on.  Well, rest was not the right word.  I have rather long arms, so that could have complicated the situation.  I ended up installing the arms upside down and eventually moving to an unused auto seat.

The arm support pushed my elbows up and outward and gave me an un natural grip for the joystick.  Even though I have currently totally modified my desk to look like something Dr. Frankenstein would have strung up to the lightening rod, the simple mounting (must be screw mounted) of the joystick on a lap desk and removal of uncomfortable chair arms was the most comfortable and allowed me many comfortable hours of AH fun.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
I've maybe flown an hour so far this month but no.w that fires seasons pretty much wrapped up I'll have some extra time now
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »
 Sounds like a slight case of tendonitis,this would be a result of the pruners and not your JS,unless it's a force feedback type but even those dont vibrate enough to cause the problem.

You could see a DR but likely it would be a waste of time and you might get an Rx for some type of Nsaid drug!  A couple of tylonal will do just as good.  Best thing you can do is rest the hand until the numbness goes away then start an exercise program for it.

I used to squeeze a ball of wax but any small rubber ball will do.

Try to avoid power tools or anything similar as this will just prolong the issue.

:salute

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 12:20:14 AM »
Do you say `roger  ` when your Mrs or some one asks you something??

My wife has almost gotten used to me saying "tally" when she points something out to me while we are driving.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 03:47:01 PM »
Doubt its from playing......you need to give up pruning and yard work....DRs orders  :D

I like your thinking!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 05:28:57 AM »
Do you say `roger  ` when your Mrs or some one asks you something??

:uhoh

thats a sure tell
No  joke  same  here  ,  lol
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline BBP

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 07:45:49 AM »
I am a professional sports coach with over 30 years experience. I made a personal discovery years ago that I transferred to my students. Playing more than 2-3 hours daily (depending on the individual) will put you into a zone where learning becomes most difficult. The reason being is, we are repeating actions and reactions. So every time you are exposed to a situation that requires you to react you will react with the same action. This is not muscle memory but brain memory. So the longer you play, the more times you make the same mental responses, over and over and over. THUS BECOMING PERMANENT!
My suggestion is when you feel stagnant with your ability to improve, TAKE TIME OFF! As an example I recently took time off from over playing. Three months worth. Now you can't let yourself go brain dead over these time out periods. What I suggest you do is run an action over in your head and run the correct response to that action in your head. See yourself making the kill over and over.
Then return to the game and focus on an action/reaction you had prior trouble with. You will find improvement and yourself making kills that were escaping you before.
THE HARDEST PART TO THIS ENTIRE SITUATION IS BEING ABLE TO REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THE GAME FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME. LIKE MY STUDENTS, EVERYONE JUST WANTS TO PLAY, PLAY PLAY. If you become an addicted player unable top take time off, you will become stagnant and stuck at the level you are at. Taking time off also gives you the benefit of time to rest your injury and over come the physical limitations as well. So taking time off helps in more than one way. I hope this idea of taking time off helps you. It does me - a lot!

GOOD LUCK.
KimoSabe! :aok

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 10:54:57 AM »
I am a professional sports coach with over 30 years experience. I made a personal discovery years ago that I transferred to my students. Playing more than 2-3 hours daily (depending on the individual) will put you into a zone where learning becomes most difficult. The reason being is, we are repeating actions and reactions. So every time you are exposed to a situation that requires you to react you will react with the same action. This is not muscle memory but brain memory. So the longer you play, the more times you make the same mental responses, over and over and over. THUS BECOMING PERMANENT!
My suggestion is when you feel stagnant with your ability to improve, TAKE TIME OFF! As an example I recently took time off from over playing. Three months worth. Now you can't let yourself go brain dead over these time out periods. What I suggest you do is run an action over in your head and run the correct response to that action in your head. See yourself making the kill over and over.
Then return to the game and focus on an action/reaction you had prior trouble with. You will find improvement and yourself making kills that were escaping you before.
THE HARDEST PART TO THIS ENTIRE SITUATION IS BEING ABLE TO REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THE GAME FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME. LIKE MY STUDENTS, EVERYONE JUST WANTS TO PLAY, PLAY PLAY. If you become an addicted player unable top take time off, you will become stagnant and stuck at the level you are at. Taking time off also gives you the benefit of time to rest your injury and over come the physical limitations as well. So taking time off helps in more than one way. I hope this idea of taking time off helps you. It does me - a lot!

GOOD LUCK.

Did you consider coaching pro gamers? :aok

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »

GOOD LUCK.
why does this make sense to me? Ive played almost everyday 4 or 5 hours at a time since 03 I think.first 5 or 6 years exclusively in the DA and I think I'm worse now than when I first started..the only thing I do better is land..once in a while I get lucky and catch a pilot afk or get a proxy LOL so I've been in a tank for a while now :salute
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 02:29:50 PM »
Last night when I got off I could barely close my joystick hand.
http://www.nofap.org/
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »
You cant just stop playing AH. Its like any other narcotic. You would have to wean yourself off and I wouldn't even recommend that. The chances of success are notoriously low. Just stop everything else. Problem solved.  :old:
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 03:42:21 PM »

GOOD LUCK.

You mean practice makes perfect is wrong?

PERFECT practice makes perfect.  But, since there are no two single actions in this game that are ever alike, one must PERFECTLY practice adjusting.  Some, like me, don't do that very well.

The things that WILL attrit with time off are:

1.  Judging your own and judging others energy states
2.  Aerial gunnery
3.  SA

After spending 2 of my years off and many, many 3 month breaks during those runs, it comes back.  Just takes a while. :aok
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »

GOOD LUCK.

BINGO. And this is why a majority of players who've played for years never improve.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."