Author Topic: ACMs and WHEN to use them  (Read 1437 times)

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
ACMs and WHEN to use them
« on: October 24, 2014, 07:24:15 PM »
I'm fairly confident in my ACMs.. (Including the HO :devil )

BUT where I struggle, is knowing WHEN to use them. WHEN to do a certain move to get a better chance at getting the opponent off my 6 or at least a better chance. When they're climbing up on my 6 when I'm at a shallow climb, what move should I do and at what moment.

Who could help me out here. I'm almost positive that I'm not the only one that has this issue. I want to be able to READ and see pictures if at all possible. I can practice in the MA or with a squaddie later on.

Thanks!
JollyJR :salute

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
Re: ACMs and WHEN to use them
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »

There simply is no answer for this. Too many variables, aircraft.. what are his strengths / weakness. what are yours ? E-states, your assessment of his skill / knowledge  every situation is different. I suggest watching some of Latrobe's walk throughs and fight reviews. He tends to add a lot of, "I / you DID this, but what I SHOULDA done was this, and why"

Go to YouTube and search "aces high 2" and then look for Chaingun's videos.
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:28:07 PM »
Buy, read....http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0870210599/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1414204793&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

As cool as that book it it only helps to a certain extent... fights in AH are very different from those IRL.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:25:32 PM »
I struggled and continue to struggle with this.  I framed it slightly different, however.  I thought of it as "sequence".  What sequence of acm leads to success in different situations.  And for me at least, I had to literally try out different permutations to find some that worked.  I'm light years ahead of where I was, but far, far away from where I want to be.  I've resigned myself to spending time each week experimenting with sequences.  I'll pick a situation that bothered me, and work out a better way to have handled it.  I look at a lot of film each week.  I've found that a lot of it is also aircraft-dependent.  A sequence that works well in an FM2 just won't work in a 190-D, and vice versa.  So there's almost an infinite number of sequences to explore and practice.   
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:39:50 AM »
To clear your 6 you can try to out-run or out-turn the bandit but similar aircraft don't always allow those choices. Maneuvering out of plane and out of phase can help you avoid getting shot while improving your position.

The term "out of plane" refers to your lift vector pointing in a different direction than the bandit's lift vector. When you roll left or right you change your lift vector and plane of maneuver.  Changing your plane of maneuver makes you harder to hit. A spiral dive for example is a constant change in plane of maneuver and a hard target to hit.

Out of phase means that you turn left as the bandit goes right, or go up as he goes down. This can give you turning room and shot opportunities. An example would be a tail chase turning into a flat scissors.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 12:43:04 AM »

BUT where I struggle, is knowing WHEN to use them. WHEN to do a certain move to get a better chance at getting the opponent off my 6 or at least a better chance. When they're climbing up on my 6 when I'm at a shallow climb, what move should I do and at what moment.

Who could help me out here. I'm almost positive that I'm not the only one that has this issue. I want to be able to READ and see pictures if at all possible. I can practice in the MA or with a squaddie later on.

Thanks!

Fly in my plane next we see each other on. I'll show you defensive tactics and positioning. You are better off watching the maneuvers as they happen.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 05:59:44 AM »
I would have thought someone would have replied, you fly ACM all of the time?  Every moment they are tring to kill you, you should be tring to find a way of killing them.

This reply is not advice.  Just adding to your question.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 06:25:08 AM »

Thanks!

You might want to give this book a looking at, it's written in layman's terms so it's a lot easier to understand than Shaw's book.

EVERY MAN A TIGER: Mock-Combat Flying Techniques for Light Aircraft

It might be out of print and hard to find but definitely worth if if you can find a copy.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 08:34:28 AM »
BUT where I struggle, is knowing WHEN to use them.

Don't know if it will help you at all, but Bullethead's old writings helped me quite a bit.  I thought of it last night, when Skyyr used picturebook energy fighting technique to repeatedly obliterate the hapless oldman.

http://gabi-laser.blogspot.com/2011/03/bulletheads-energy-fighting-tactics-and.html

Suggest you save it somewhere, I doubt the link will last forever.

- oldman

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »
A friend of mine flew F-4s and F-15s.  We would often discuss air combat and one day he said "I did an octoflugeron" to get the shot.  When I asked what an octoflugeron is he replied that it is whatever you need to do to stay alive and kill the other guy.

Air combat is much to fluid/dynamic to be able to fight with a script….if he does A I'll use Z type thing.  Learn your aircrafts strengths and be able to fly it to it's limits then simply do what needs to be done.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 10:02:50 AM »
I'm my time in the game, the list of doo's is short, the list of don'ts is very long.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »
I struggled and continue to struggle with this.  I framed it slightly different, however.  I thought of it as "sequence".  What sequence of acm leads to success in different situations.  And for me at least, I had to literally try out different permutations to find some that worked.  I'm light years ahead of where I was, but far, far away from where I want to be.  I've resigned myself to spending time each week experimenting with sequences.  I'll pick a situation that bothered me, and work out a better way to have handled it.  I look at a lot of film each week.  I've found that a lot of it is also aircraft-dependent.  A sequence that works well in an FM2 just won't work in a 190-D, and vice versa.  So there's almost an infinite number of sequences to explore and practice.   

That's pretty much how I learned as well, just trying things out and seeing what works and what doesn't. The sequence thought should never be a "set in stone" kind of thing. There will be times when a sequence of moves that worked one time doesn't work under the current circumstances. Always have a plan b,c and d ready and adapt to the situation.

There is a an easy way to cut down on what moves might work bases on the plane matchup. A 190D9 will never turn with a Spit 5 but it is faster and climbs better, so you can already check off turning maneuvers as things that won't work, but things like "the rope", yo-yo's, extending to gain separation and speed, and vertical maneuvers may very well work. Remember that the plan you used to kill the Spit 5 the first time might not work a second time under different conditions such as a difference in speed. The first time you might have been co-alt and you had a speed advantage so you used the vertical to get above the spit 5 and kill him with BnZ tactics. The second time you come across him you might be low on speed while climbing out and he's already at altitude above you and with speed. In this case going vertical will get you killed, so it's time to adapt to the situation and go with plan b, c, or d. Leveling off to gain speed, and waiting for the spit to make a move might be the best choice in this situation as he has the altitude and speed, therefore he dictates when the fight starts. Stay defensive until you get your speed up and see an opportunity to put your planes strengths to use over your opponents weaknesses.

There are literally thousands, if not millions, or variables in play during any one fight. Even when you narrow it down to a specific 1v1 matchup, at a certain altitude and at a certain speed, with both planes in these parts of the airspace flying in these directions, there are still dozens of different things you have to consider going into the fight.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 03:03:54 PM »
To clear your 6 you can try to out-run or out-turn the bandit but similar aircraft don't always allow those choices. Maneuvering out of plane and out of phase can help you avoid getting shot while improving your position.

The term "out of plane" refers to your lift vector pointing in a different direction than the bandit's lift vector. When you roll left or right you change your lift vector and plane of maneuver.  Changing your plane of maneuver makes you harder to hit. A spiral dive for example is a constant change in plane of maneuver and a hard target to hit.

Out of phase means that you turn left as the bandit goes right, or go up as he goes down. This can give you turning room and shot opportunities. An example would be a tail chase turning into a flat scissors.

This ^^^^

If a player can learn to use the lift vector and work on their BFM the rest will come together.

:salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »

This ^^^^

If a player can learn to use the lift vector and work on their BFM the rest will come together.

:salute

A friend of mine flew F-4s and F-15s.  We would often discuss air combat and one day he said "I did an octoflugeron" to get the shot.  When I asked what an octoflugeron is he replied that it is whatever you need to do to stay alive and kill the other guy.

Air combat is much to fluid/dynamic to be able to fight with a script….if he does A I'll use Z type thing.  Learn your aircrafts strengths and be able to fly it to it's limits then simply do what needs to be done.

What they just said. :salute Learn the basics from someone who really knows what they are doing, practice, practice, practice, and ignore the "one move fits all" techniques, they simply don't work for every fluid situation in air combat.   Like Columbo's friend said, whatever it takes.  Personally, I lile the "double ratsnfrass"  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all