Author Topic: P47 Nancy speed/climb charts.  (Read 943 times)

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
P47 Nancy speed/climb charts.
« on: October 25, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »
P47 Nancy has the same engine as the Mary yet its overall performance is closer to the D11 according to the charts. Perhaps the charts measure the Nancy's performance while its loaded down with ords, because that's the only explanation I can come up with. Is there any chance the performance charts will get updated?
See Rule #4

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: P47 Nancy speed/climb charts.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »
P47 Nancy has the same engine as the Mary yet its overall performance is closer to the D11 according to the charts. Perhaps the charts measure the Nancy's performance while its loaded down with ords, because that's the only explanation I can come up with. Is there any chance the performance charts will get updated?
The P-47N carries more fuel than any other fighter.  Even more than the Mossie VI.  The P-47M carries the same, limited amount as the P-47D-40.

That is the source of the performance difference.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 01:16:40 PM »
Even when light the Nancy is one heavy bird, but she sure can dance!  :D

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 01:20:58 PM »
The M was much lighter than the N. The M was a modified D-27 airframe with a more powerful engine strapped in. The N was only shared a general design and engine with the M. The wings were different in size and shape (including airfoil I believe), the N also weighed 10k pounds which is significantly more than the M.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:22:33 PM »
The charts assume 100% internal fuel, and as mentioned by Karnak, the N carries more fuel than any other Jug (90 gallons more than the D-40, D-25, M and a bit more compared to the D11, I dont remember the exact D11 fuel load). The extra fuel is in the wing tanks.

In addition, the N is heavier than the other jugs even when empty because it has larger wings and had to be strengthened to withstand the extra loads (stronger main gears, etc). Without WEP, it is the worst performing Jug, about matching the D11 in climb (because D11 is modeled without the paddle blade prop) and rolls a little bit better. The monster WEP is what makes the difference in performance to the N's favor.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:24:33 PM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Skull-1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
Even when light the Nancy is one heavy bird, but she sure can dance!  :D

Prettiest Jug.

(Oscar Perdomo.  Look him up.   Worth the read.)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:43:03 PM by Skull-1 »

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 01:53:22 PM »
Ahhhhh. Just realized there speed index is nearly identical, which makes sense now. As of late the Nancy has been my go to jug and I generally load it up with 50% fuel and a drop tank. At that loadout I feel that while running on wep it has a good climb rate which is why I got confused when looking at the charts.

Besides ordnance and fuel loadout, does the Nancy hold any advantages over the Mary? It seems to feel more stable during maneuvers but I also fly it a lot more than the M. It also seems to take damage a lot better but again that could just be me.
See Rule #4

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 02:11:51 PM »
 Besides ordnance and fuel loadout, does the Nancy hold any advantages over the Mary? It seems to feel more stable during maneuvers but I also fly it a lot more than the M. It also seems to take damage a lot better but again that could just be me.

It's more stable at lower speeds than the M because of the added weight, it's affected less by the counter torque from the engine. If memory serves, it also has larger tail feathers which also adds to better control at low speed. The M will beat the N in energy fighting though since it can grab it and maintain it more easily (like pushing a boulder up a hill...).

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »
The charts assume 100% internal fuel,...

The charts are the same as you see in the hanger but in the hanger charts the aircraft weights are listed. The weights indicate that tested fuel amounts vary and are not consistent with loadouts. You have to look at the weights to know the performance differences.

In some cases, for example the F4U series, the aircraft are all tested with the same weight of fuel even though they have different capacities.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:21:12 PM by FLS »

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 05:54:36 PM »
The N rolls better and as others said, handle slightly better at very low speeds. One disadvantage is that the wings were extended at the root, which moved the guns outwards and increased the guns baseline by another meter. This makes the N a little more sensitive to convergence issues than the elliptical wing jugs. I swear you can fit an entire Yak3 between the left and right guns...

It's more stable at lower speeds than the M because of the added weight, it's affected less by the counter torque from the engine. If memory serves, it also has larger tail feathers which also adds to better control at low speed. The M will beat the N in energy fighting though since it can grab it and maintain it more easily (like pushing a boulder up a hill...).
I think the better slow speed handling is mostly due to the new wing - it has more area and better aileron authority.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 08:37:10 PM »
The N rolls better and as others said, handle slightly better at very low speeds. One disadvantage is that the wings were extended at the root, which moved the guns outwards and increased the guns baseline by another meter. This makes the N a little more sensitive to convergence issues than the elliptical wing jugs. I swear you can fit an entire Yak3 between the left and right guns...

I think we should try that!

I think the better slow speed handling is mostly due to the new wing - it has more area and better aileron authority.

That could also be the case, I'm not sure if the ailerons are larger as well but I the flaps are slightly larger because of the expanded wingspan.

The one thing I can say with certainty is that if you are in an N and an M shows up, you better hope the other guy is fat on fuel.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 08:49:05 PM »
I think we should try that!

That could also be the case, I'm not sure if the ailerons are larger as well but I the flaps are slightly larger because of the expanded wingspan.

The one thing I can say with certainty is that if you are in an N and an M shows up, you better hope the other guy is fat on fuel.

I usually never have a problem dispatching a 47m when I'm in the Nancy. Infacts its one of the few planes I can down messiahs Mary in consistently.
See Rule #4

Online LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »
Other than having ever so slightly better slow speed handling (tends to float just a little longer) and a marginally better roll rate, the N is the weakest of the Jug line as a dogfighter. It can be out turned by the rest. It's only real advantage is raw WEP power. When the WEP runs out it's the worst 47 of the line.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »
I usually never have a problem dispatching a 47m when I'm in the Nancy. Infacts its one of the few planes I can down messiahs Mary in consistently.

What's with the "Nancy" and "Mary" references? What are you using, the phonetic alphabet of the gay rights movement?
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
What's with the "Nancy" and "Mary" references? What are you using, the phonetic alphabet of the gay rights movement?

hehehehe, I don't know, its what there always referred to as in game. Would Max and Nick be more appropriate?
See Rule #4