Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving  (Read 1264 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 03:16:34 PM »
don't you mean happy theft and massacre of the native American day?

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »

That would be the National Day of Mourning held on the fourth Thursday of every November mainly by Native Americans. Completely unrelated :noid

Get much snow over there ink? We got 10" at my house in Lebanon NH

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 06:16:38 PM »

I don't think anyone meant that.  Perhaps you should have done some research on Thanksgiving before posting.

From Wikipedia:

Thanksgiving Day is a national holiday celebrated primarily in the United States and Canada as a day of giving thanks for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year. Several other places around the world observe similar celebrations. Thanksgiving has its historical roots in religious and cultural traditions, and has long been celebrated in a secular manner as well.

In the United States, the modern Thanksgiving holiday tradition is commonly, but not universally, traced to a poorly documented 1621 celebration at Plymouth in present-day Massachusetts. The 1621 Plymouth feast and thanksgiving was prompted by a good harvest. Pilgrims and Puritans who began emigrating from England in the 1620s and 1630s carried the tradition of Days of Fasting and Days of Thanksgiving with them to New England.

Observance

Canada
Grenada
Liberia
The Netherlands
Norfolk Island
United States

Similar holidays

Germany
Japan
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:21:33 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »
I'm native American, was born and raised here.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 10:36:12 PM »
You mean you don't celebrate a bunch of whiny uptight Puritans taking a sailing trip to leave you heathen pagans to your own devices?

:)

It irks me that people characterize all the early American settlers this way. Not all of them were religious fanatics hoping to build a new and better society in the wilderness through hard work and faith. In the South, most of our ancestors were either criminals sentenced to transportation or ne'er-do-well gentlemen-adventurers who regarded working for a living as the lowest sort of degradation and preferred the idea of finding less technologically advanced people to plunder and/or enslave like the Spanish were having so much success with further south.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 01:59:38 AM »
That would be the National Day of Mourning held on the fourth Thursday of every November mainly by Native Americans. Completely unrelated :noid

Get much snow over there ink? We got 10" at my house in Lebanon NH

:D

same 10'' here :aok

I don't think anyone meant that.  Perhaps you should have done some research on Thanksgiving before posting.

From Wikipedia:

Thanksgiving Day is a national holiday celebrated primarily in the United States and Canada as a day of giving thanks for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year. Several other places around the world observe similar celebrations. Thanksgiving has its historical roots in religious and cultural traditions, and has long been celebrated in a secular manner as well.

In the United States, the modern Thanksgiving holiday tradition is commonly, but not universally, traced to a poorly documented 1621 celebration at Plymouth in present-day Massachusetts. The 1621 Plymouth feast and thanksgiving was prompted by a good harvest. Pilgrims and Puritans who began emigrating from England in the 1620s and 1630s carried the tradition of Days of Fasting and Days of Thanksgiving with them to New England.

Observance

Canada
Grenada
Liberia
The Netherlands
Norfolk Island
United States

Similar holidays

Germany
Japan

oh its in the wiki.......you set me straight  :rolleyes:

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 02:47:29 AM »
oh its in the wiki.......you set me straight  :rolleyes:

From Plimoth Plantation (Smithsonian Institution Affiliations Program)  

http://www.plimoth.org/learn/MRL/read/thanksgiving-history

Very little is known about the 1621 event in Plymouth that is the model for our Thanksgiving. The only references to the event are reprinted below:

“And God be praised we had a good increase… Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together after we had gathered the fruit of our labors. They four in one day killed as much fowl as, with a little help beside, served the company almost a week. At which time, amongst other recreations, we exercised our arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and among the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five deer, which they brought to the plantation and bestowed on our governor, and upon the captain and others. And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want that we often wish you partakers of our plenty.”

And from National Geographic:

The Celebration

One day that fall, four settlers were sent to hunt for food for a harvest celebration. The Wampanoag heard gunshots and alerted their leader, Massasoit, who thought the English might be preparing for war. Massasoit visited the English settlement with 90 of his men to see if the war rumor was true.

Soon after their visit, the Native Americans realized that the English were only hunting for the harvest celebration. Massasoit sent some of his own men to hunt deer for the feast and for three days, the English and native men, women, and children ate together. The meal consisted of deer, corn, shellfish, and roasted meat, far from today's traditional Thanksgiving feast.

They played ball games, sang, and danced. Much of what most modern Americans eat on Thanksgiving was not available in 1621.

Sounds a lot more like a shared celebration than a "theft and massacre".
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 03:00:19 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 03:08:19 AM »
I am native american :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2014, 11:23:02 PM »
Sounds a lot more like a shared celebration than a "theft and massacre".

Yup.  That's the way I remember it.

- oldman

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2014, 10:48:25 AM »

Yup.  That's the way I remember it.

- oldman

haha you remember it do ya?

I guess you really are an "oldman"  ;)

I am not surprised by the blind anymore.

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
I am native american :old:

No you are not....you are native Ugandan...... :old:
Gnat
The Kommando for FSO
AoM
Der Wander Zirkus
GFC

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »
Hail, Hail Freedonia ..... land of the brave and free .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsw9jYU_rJI