Author Topic: AH hang on start vs. trackir  (Read 2119 times)

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
Re: AH hang on start vs. trackir
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »
The driver date is in 2011.  I am pretty sure RealTek has updated their drivers since then, although, it is possible that is the latest driver.  It would be odd though.
:aok

Any abnormal crash can leave things in a mess.  When software is not allowed to exit normally, then those cleanup routines are not executed leaving things in a potentially unknown state.

It is understandable if this issue happens after crash. But as Skyyr said and I've seen this many times too, it happens after clean exit from AH client also.
AH: impulse9

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »
You may be experiencing a USB type conflict.

I have this same combination of products and once had them all on the same HUB.

CH Stick\throttle - USB 1.01
Saitek Peddles - USB 2.0
TrackIR 5 - USB 2.0

I had your issue sporadically. I ended up with my Saitek\TrakIR5 and CH on two separate powered USB hubs to clear it up. As a caution I placed my Plantronics 780 USB headset on it's own powered HUB. The only USB device plugged directly into my PC is my Logitech Marble mouse. You might as an experiment, uninstall your gaming mouse and drivers. Then use an older basic USB or WiFi mouse with the game just to see.

Anyone notice how often you get a BSOD from chdrvr01.sys when installing new USB hardware or updated USB drivers for other hardware if you don't unplug your CH hardware before installing the new software? I've even had it a few times with video card drivers and updating of mouse drivers.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
OMG, bustr. I'm not ready to make my PC a Christmas tree of USB hubs :-)
And if this is some kind of HW conflict it should be the same for every program using this HW. Shouldn't it?

PS. I noticed that trackir5 gets initialized first and then AH hangs. I see it by right led lighting up. Something going wrong after trackir init code.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 11:45:06 AM »
Ever thought you have a marginal TrackIR hardware? Bentnail went through two TR5's dying on him out of the box because they are made in China. But, all of the above mentioned by you stopped after I ran a USB detection app that told me the USB Type of each device and I segregated them to powered HUBs by Type.

A very unique possibility that I've run into with only TrackIR 5, I've been running TrackIR hardware since 3D Pro in 2003. You could have a light source interfering with the camera. By accident I duplicated your problem last summer. I was home testing gunsights. The sun was tracking directly against the windows next to my PC. I have blinds but, having a glossy finish, the cream colored closed blinds became a backlit source of stray light. They were bright enough to interfere with the camera. Another source can be reflections from glasses.

If your internal bus is OK, along with your hardware, you need to look at these things. AH2 is not like any of your other games. The CH usb driver only conflicts during installs and driver updates.

Another thing, are all of your USB ports USB Type auto sensing or, do you have your TR5 in a 1.0 port?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 03:08:01 PM »
OMG, bustr. I'm not ready to make my PC a Christmas tree of USB hubs :-)
And if this is some kind of HW conflict it should be the same for every program using this HW. Shouldn't it?

PS. I noticed that trackir5 gets initialized first and then AH hangs. I see it by right led lighting up. Something going wrong after trackir init code.

It may be getting hung in the track ir init code and we are sitting there waiting for it to return.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »
I've had some strange anomalies with TIR5 in AH lately. It's running. The left LED on the camera is lit as it sees my head. The right LED lights up when I start AH as it's a supported game--as it should. Some times--but not often--when I get to the tower it loses the game. Right LED goes out as if I've closed the game. It doesn't lose my head as it's tracking that fine. The only way around this is to restart AH and it will pick up just fine and I haven't had that happen to me twice in a session ever. Was annoying to notice it'd happened to me as BOWL Frame 1 was starting. Couldn't re-enter easily at that point so I just rolled old school. So used to it now I thought I was gonna snap my neck trying to see things!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 04:47:14 PM »
I was having a similar problem and it turned out to be over heating of my video card.

Another time it happened was due to a memory bleed. Another due to overclocking the Video Card. And another, an errant light source interfering with the camera. And another time was due to not setting my Light Filter Threshold correctly for the room I was in.

PC's are not easy things to diagnose when it comes to the hardware peripherals. If it's not an obvious and simple fix, then you have to roll up your sleeves and get dirty. And eventually when you find the problem, the solution is often maddeningly simple, but, was never obvious.

I ended up with three external powered HUBs. Luck of the draw with my "specific" system board. The only thing most can do for you is iterate all of the techniques they know for trouble shooting things like your problem, and all of the solutions they have come up with over the years in similar situations. But, the owner of the PC still has to get his hands dirty.

I don't remember, did the OP check at the TrackIR community forum for any information?

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/04-community/community-forum-entrance.html
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 01:03:28 PM »
That separation of USB devices, broken trackir cameras, etc etc is interesting.
But why only AH affected? I would suspect HW issue myself if there was any other title affected.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 01:12:02 PM »
You have to understand how stupid the USB bus is.

When you have multiple devices connected to any given USB hub (multiple ports per hub), each time a byte of data comes across that hub, then Windows calls every interrupt service routine, for each device, connected to that hub.  Basically, Windows is asking, "Is this yours?".
The interrupt service routines all have to check to see if it is for them.  If it is, they take action and clear the interrupt.  If not, then they pass it on to the next device, via Windows.  It is always quite possible for any given ISR (interrupt service routine) to muck it up and cause things to get lost by clearing the interrupt, when it is not for them.  That causes all manner of hang conditions and/or crashes.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »
So am I getting this right that you (hitech team) is not going to even look into this issue, because of "how stupid the USB bus is" and other bla-bla-bla?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »
So am I getting this right that you (hitech team) is not going to even look into this issue, because of "how stupid the USB bus is" and other bla-bla-bla?

Its NOT a HTC issue that THEY must look into. As Im sure there are many, many others including myself that have no issue what so ever using the TrackIR system with the game. If it was something in the game more than a few would have issues. It is more than likely that your computer configuration is where the trouble is.

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »
Yeah yeah. For sure their code is flawless. :angel: It's others that have bugs/issues/whatever. How familiar.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:48:37 AM by -error »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 01:03:55 PM »
Yeah yeah. For sure their code is flawless. :angel: It's others that have bugs/issues/whatever. How familiar.

Never said it was flawless, but explain why myself and many others who use trackIR haven't any issues if their code was so flawed.

All I'm suggesting is not to look to HTC for a fix for YOUR computer.

Offline -error

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 03:16:43 PM »
Never said it was flawless, but explain why myself and many others who use trackIR haven't any issues if their code was so flawed.

but explain why myself and others who use trackIR have this issue? I have 4 titles that work without any hiccups with trackir5 on my PC and only AH have problems.

All I'm suggesting is not to look to HTC for a fix for YOUR computer.

And all I'm asking for is to take closer look at this issue.

BTW, if hitech's code was better instrumented  then it is now, it would be easier to debug issues on clients' machines.  ;)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 05:00:50 PM »

BTW, if hitech's code was better instrumented  then it is now, it would be easier to debug issues on clients' machines.  ;)

I suspect you have known how to address this issue from the start, and this post has been about other things. Until now you have come off as the average PC using gamer.

So how did you fix your issue with TrakIR..............
bustr - POTW 1st Wing