Author Topic: Players to admire  (Read 23282 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Players to admire
« on: January 21, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
Last night I saw Latrobe fly a K4 right over the water into about 5 opponents while he was on his own. Theres a small group of players, whose names I wont mention, who do this kinda stuff and its just beautiful how they can bring out the best of an aircraft against multiple opponents. Maybe not with victory measured in perk points ; But "victory" measured with skilled flying. Against impossible odds they will stay alive, even scratching a kill or two, or three. How they keep that fighter plane maneuvering and alive is just beyond me while also keeping such a high level of S/A. The night before I saw someone in a KI-64 do almost the same tho I dont know who it was.

Its for this why I dont pick or at least ask permission before doing so. Because watching a truly skilled player is a pleasure in itself. And in an era of 5 eny B@Z'ers its even more of an enjoyment.

Often perk points dont mean a successful sortie. Often just flying well against skilled opponents brings its own "greater" reward.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
Re: Players to admire
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:04:09 PM »
Agreed.  Some of these guys are amazing.  I spend some of my time purposely getting into impossible situations just to see how long I can last or maybe even get a couple and survive.  I stink, but there are some players that are amazing to watch in that situation. :salute
AMAX  in game

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 03:31:23 PM »
Moot in his 152 was another one for that. Ran into him flying to a base...4 cons were up and another lifting. We were maybe 3/4 k high.  Told him I'd get the lead KI and be right there to give him a hand. My fight with the KI lasted a few minutes and turned to give him a hand. Glanced in his direction and asked him where the cons were. All I got back from him (typed on local channel) was this ------>  : ).  Went back landed and 5 mins later across the buffer was  "Moot landed 4 kills in a TA152"

Gotta love guys like Latrobe and Moot, Tongs and a select few in game throw all caution to the wind and more often then not come out on top. We're extremely fortunate as a community to have them here
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:43:21 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 03:34:53 PM »
I remember seeing Drex take on 7 cons near the deck one time, it was incredible how he made that F6F dance in the air dodging shots.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »
I admire those that don't have leet skillz, yet will fight you without having every single advantage - unlike most players these days.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:42:27 PM »
I remember seeing Drex take on 7 cons near the deck one time, it was incredible how he made that F6F dance in the air dodging shots.

Same with Leviathn.  Remember seeing one with Levi on the deck in a Spitfire V being jumped by 6 bandits, told him that I was on the way to help out but by the time I got there nor more than a minute or so later, he had already downed five and was about to saddle on the 6th bandit for the kill.  Was amazing how fast he was able to down all 6, especially getting 3 on a single pass when he forced them to over shoot.

kappa was another one, so was Fester.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:36:05 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 04:02:35 PM »
Coach and I went up against Drex and (forget who else...Slapshot maybe)  in the 3rd tier of a 2v2 at the '02 Con. It wasn't pretty but we did hold our own (Coach in his Tiffy) for 3 merges.  :ahand
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:05:32 PM by Max »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »
kappa was another one, so was Fester.

So was Shane.

- oldman

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 04:21:24 PM »
Ah yes, the best pilot is the one who throws himself into suicidal situations and dies most of the time!

If you are fighting any competent E fighter who outnumbers you, you will die most of the time no matter how good of a turnfighter, although there are anomalies.

Moot in his 152 was another one for that. Ran into him flying to a base...4 cons were up and another lifting. We were maybe 3/4 k high.

This is not what the OP is describing I assume. Most likely used the strengths of the 152 (energy fighting) to his advantage to kill the 4 guys. Which is exactly what you should do.

Maybe if some of you read more into it, you could be more successful then throwing yourself into a red ball and delaying your death as long as possible. BUT, if thats what the community views as a FPH, then so be it.

Fighting smart can routinely win you 5+ vs 1 engagements, be it you can't start at 100 feet doing 150mph to begin with (what smart pilot gets himself into that situation in the first place?). I have a few films of winning 8-10 on 1s if you are interested in learning :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:25:38 PM by xPoisonx »
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 04:24:53 PM »
Ah yes, the best pilot is the one who throws himself into suicidal situations and dies most of the time!

This is not what the OP is describing I assume. Most likely used the strengths of the 152 (energy fighting) to his advantage to kill the 4 guys. Which is exactly what you should do.

Maybe if some of you read more into it, you could be more successful then throwing yourself into a red ball and delaying your death as long as possible. BUT, if thats what the community views as a FPH, then so be it.

Fighting smart can routinely win you 5+ vs 1 engagements, be it you can't start at 100 feet doing 150mph to begin with (what smart pilot gets himself into that situation in the first place?). I have a few films of winning 8-10 on 1s if you are interested in learning :)

Do you think before you start spewing your verbal vomit, or just kinda wing it?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:28:12 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 04:26:06 PM »
Do you think before you start spewing your verbal vomit, or just kinda wing it?
I see you are not interested in improving your flying. Fine by me  :salute

HiTech

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 04:27:17 PM »
I see you are not interested in improving your flying. Fine by me  :salute

How I fly and what I do are really none of your concern

Appologies Rich, don't mean to drag your thread thru the mud my friend
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 04:29:34 PM »
This thread is odd :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 04:29:51 PM »

If you are fighting any competent E fighter who outnumbers you, you will die most of the time no matter how good of a turnfighter, although there are anomalies.

ahhh but you see, not only could Moot energy fight in it like most anyone can, he could turn and burn with the best and more often than not come out on top.

I've had 10 kill runs in a 38 a number of times on a single sortie with no rearms. BnZ is easy. Now if you want to get down and dirty with the 38 you watch guys like Twinboom and Pawz. They don't mind the odds being against them and more often than not win out over those "turny" planes.

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 04:30:17 PM »
By all means, forget about my in game advice and use an ad hominem attack on me... for giving advice!

Someone is  :ahand

HiTech