Author Topic: Beating a dead horse ?  (Read 13099 times)

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
Beating a dead horse ?
« on: February 09, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »

Enough is enough !!! PLEASE do something about the HQ issue !  In the 1 hour I played tonite, our HQ was dropped 3x. That leaves players with 2 choices to find a fight. either join the horde, or fly around aimlessly hoping to catch sight of the plane flashing a base.

NO single player should be able to negatively influence the game so drastically.  I know there will be some who say "defend the HQ"  but how can you defend it when it's already down ? No radar you cant track a dar bar heading for it to drop it again. and who really wants to climb to 30k and wait for bombers that will most likely BAIL soon as they enter icon range ??   It's vulnerability is not consistent with it's strategic importance !

HARDEN IT, Put it in the middle of the CITY with a lot of ack, Shorten it's downtime. something. ANYTHING !   
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
Re: Beating a dead horse ?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:02:35 PM »
Solution A:
1. Find a field near HQ
2. Up a suitable aircraft
3. Find HQ raiders
4. Shoot down HQ raiders
           Outcome, HQ stays up

Solution B:
1. Log onto BBS, HQ raiders are IB
2. Create thread complaining about HQ raiders, Bomb bay doors are now open
            Outcome, HQ is now down.

It would seem to me that Solution A is the prudent option

Chuikov

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 06:09:31 PM »
Solution A:
1. Find a field near HQ
3. Find HQ raiders
4. Shoot down HQ raiders
           Outcome, HQ stays up

Solution B:
            Outcome, HQ is now down.

Luschu timed it out I think. If a buff pilot is carefull he can fly all the way to an HQ with out setting off a dar. Popping from NOE as soon as the HQ starts flashing gives the players less than a couple minutes to up from your "field near HQ" in which time you will get there about a minute AFTER the raider has bombed HQ and bailed.

Looks like posting on the BBS is almost as effective, yet wastes less time.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 06:11:28 PM »
Solution A:
1. Find a field near HQ
3. Find HQ raiders
4. Shoot down HQ raiders
           Outcome, HQ stays up

Solution B:
            Outcome, HQ is now down.

And what if you log in after it has been taken down?

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »
I normally stay out of these posts, but I have to agree that the HQ should be hardened enough to make it impossible for a single aircraft, or set of bombers to drop the HQ.  It simply has too negative of an effect on everyone in the game, especially on a big map with the lower numbers we are seeing now days; some of us only get to fly a few times a week and it's disappointing when we can't see where to find some action. <steps off soap box> Anyone got a tissue? I seem to have formed some sort of moisture in one of my eyes.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 06:32:23 PM by lutrel »
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 06:43:38 PM »
Couple of suggestions.

1 - Increase the area of the HQ dar ring
2 -  Break the country map into zones of multiple bases. At HQ, have one building the current hardness as the main building is now for each zone. That way no one pilot could take down the radar for an entire country, only a single zone. To take down dar for an entire country should take a mission
3 - Provide more ack at HQ and make some of them manable
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 07:04:16 PM »

Enough is enough !!! PLEASE do something about the HQ issue !  In the 1 hour I played tonite, our HQ was dropped 3x. That leaves players with 2 choices to find a fight. either join the horde, or fly around aimlessly hoping to catch sight of the plane flashing a base.

NO single player should be able to negatively influence the game so drastically.  I know there will be some who say "defend the HQ"  but how can you defend it when it's already down ? No radar you cant track a dar bar heading for it to drop it again. and who really wants to climb to 30k and wait for bombers that will most likely BAIL soon as they enter icon range ??   It's vulnerability is not consistent with it's strategic importance !

HARDEN IT, Put it in the middle of the CITY with a lot of ack, Shorten it's downtime. something. ANYTHING !   

Agreed 100%
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 07:45:05 PM »

Agreed, I think instead of hardening it just change the effects, along with the ack and stuff.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Bobcat81

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 07:50:57 PM »

And Im okay with that.
-VIKING9- anti-horde
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - My Hero
Complacency is death.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 08:32:56 PM »
It sux.  However, we need to keep it.  An HQ (radar) strike is the ~ONLY~ strategic endeavour with immediate (enough) result to keep the attention of the average gamer.  The strat system as is, is completely workable for those who have a bit of patience and understands the importance of reducing strategic targets.  Patience however is something a great many (likely the majority) do not have, or want.  I have hard time convincing anyone to fly more than 2 sectors to a fight (or target).  HTC needs the players, and strat minded players need the strat in all its forms.

Defend your assets

or

Don't

The cost of cartoon warfare is pretty cheap either way.

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 09:10:46 PM »
It sux.  However, we need to keep it.  An HQ (radar) strike is the ~ONLY~ strategic endeavour with immediate (enough) result to keep the attention of the average gamer.  The strat system as is, is completely workable for those who have a bit of patience and understands the importance of reducing strategic targets.  Patience however is something a great many (likely the majority) do not have, or want.  I have hard time convincing anyone to fly more than 2 sectors to a fight (or target).  HTC needs the players, and strat minded players need the strat in all its forms.

Defend your assets

or

Don't

Tumor

Can ANY other strategic asset be completely destroyed by a SINGLE player, in a SINGLE pass ? NO.   It takes SEVERAL passes by a single bomber to effectively reduce the strats effectiveness. And that bomber will face heavy ack, and the longer he stays, the more vulnerable he becomes to defenders.  Yet the Single most important country asset, is for the most part defenseless, and can be quickly destroyed by a single player, instantly degrading game play for 1/3 the entire player base.  Historically, a Country's HQ is the most heavily defended and resilient asset they have.  it should take nothing less than a mission of 4 bomber groups (all scoring direct hits) to destroy the HQ. THIS would promote missions, and the large Dar bar will attract defenders.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 09:14:06 PM »

Defend your assets

or

Don't

Tumor

The strat system is complex as it is written. It's hard for a new player, heck one thats been here awhile to understand how it works. Todays players like the quick reward for what they do. In the case of strat and HQ, if they were taken down to 75% then ALL fields should lose that option. Fuel depot to 75% ALL fields now only have 50% fuel, same with ammo, troops, and radar. HQ down gives the same as it does now.

The only difference is it MUST take more than a single buff to hit that total! Harden them to take 12 buffs with a 80% hit rate. This way you have at least 4 players having to group up for a mission to do any good. This way you end up with BATTLES instead of some dweeb sneaking in and tweaking everyone nose after he killed dar all by him self.

I don't think ANYONE would have a problem with dar going down if there was a reasonable chance to defend it. As it is now unless you have someone on duty circling HQ you don't stand a chance at stopping them.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 09:27:38 PM »
YOU DO NOT DESERVE WHAT YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DEFEND

It is simple!

Do something other than be a damn armchair general!
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »

It is simple!

Do you bail out of whatever plane your in to try in vain to stop the NOE HQ raider that leaves only about 3 minutes warning?  Or do you fly CAP over HQ the entire time you are online?  There have been many times this year alone, when HQ was down before I even logged on. 

It is far too easy for a single player to grief a whole country. Your argument is simple.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 09:46:14 PM »

It is simple!

You're either very ignorant, or just too lazy to read the thread and replies before responding. what this thread is saying is that the HQ in it's current existence CANNOT BE PROPERLY DEFENDED. Unless there is a player who wants to spend $15 a month just so he can circle the HQ and maybe possibly be in the right place, at the right alt when a bomber comes in. A single player can easily avoid all radar, or come in NOE and drop WHAT SHOULD BE THE HARDEST TARGET TO DESTROY. THAT HAS THE BIGGEST EFFECT ON THE GAME.   Hell.. it doesn't even have it's own dar ring, but yet controls ALL the dar for a country ? even a measly V-base has dar !