Author Topic: antivirus programs  (Read 485 times)

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
antivirus programs
« on: February 27, 2015, 04:10:22 PM »
i have McAfee through Verizon and am wondering if any other antivirus programs  would work
with my current antivirus
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: antivirus programs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 08:06:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it's not a good idea to have two anti-virus programs running on the same computer.
At least that's what I've read here on the forums.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »
Coogan is right. They'll fight each other, causing your computer freeze in the worst scenario. Most commercial antivirus programs also try to uninstall any previous ones before they get installed to avoid conflicts.

I've also heard that McAfee (and Norton) do things that you won't necessarily like.

For a multi layer shield you can add something like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which isn't an anti-virus program plus some ad-blocking add-ons to your browsers, such as AdBlock Plus. Good reading about multi layer security can be found here: http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/the-best-of-langalist-plus-from-2013/
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 02:50:36 PM »
Worth stating again.  The fastest way to get your computer screwed up is to allow Windows to automatically install driver updates.  Well,...assuming you do not have McAfee or Norton installed.  If so, then Microsoft created problems are just a pebble being tossed into the Grand Canyon of problems.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 03:14:35 PM »
McAfee isn't very good at all, really all it does is eat up resources in the background. I'd suggest you uninstall it and load Microsoft security essentials.
See Rule #4

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
I would recomend Eset-Nod for a AV program as it has a great gaming profile and it does not have the footprint of McCrappie or Nutings ..

PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
ESET is your best bet.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 06:31:23 PM »
First time I tested ESET at home while I had McaFee disabled for the testing. ESET detected a number of McAfee files as viruses. Had the same thing happen with Norton at work when I tested ESET there. Coincidence, or ESET Corp really does not like those two companies.

At BofA we had a long term contract with Norton for antivirus and system auditing\monitoring. It was like having a second operating system running against everything that did not play well with others. It was verboten to suggest the ghost in the machine ATM outages might be that virus. Norton was a resource pig that didn't share when a million dollar a week application was starving to death. Norton just pointed fingers at Microsoft while Microsoft pointed fingers at 3rd party apps. Probably why BofA went to blade servers running virtual OS instances so they could just hot fail over when the ghost in the machine sucked up all the available memory.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 08:43:32 PM »
I've been using Kapersky for about 4 years now. It seems to do well, but like y'all said it does not get along with other anti-virus programs. I had to get rid of SpyBot S&D because it interfered with Kapersky, something SpyBot chalks up to merely as an attempt to control the market.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 07:03:06 PM »
ESET is your best bet for gaming.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC