Author Topic: Cost for Bomber Bailing Epidemic  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Cost for Bomber Bailing Epidemic
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 03:05:39 PM »
If you make a bomb run on strats for example & you manage to knock them down to 50% & bail immediately from undamaged aircraft. As well as nose diving to rip you aircraft apart auguring & so on. The strat immediately repairs its self no damage to strats no perk points no achievement of any kind for the now non mission.

Ok, so what if he comes in low and is hit by auto ack?  Is that a legitimate death or would the damage be reset?

If any enemy damages your plane by shooting at you & hits you as it is now he gets the credit & the perks if the pilot so wants to bail. If he chooses to bail at the sight of any enemy prior to bomb run proxy range increased to 30K for the closest enemy player. I have popped dar bar chasing bombers the moment they see it they bail. They are to far away for filming but time wasted by the pursuer should be rewarded any how with the 30K proxy.

I don't really see how that would discourage the behavior, but it would apparently make you feel better?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 04:23:09 PM »
Ok, so what if he comes in low and is hit by auto ack?  Is that a legitimate death or would the damage be reset? Legit

I don't really see how that would discourage the behavior, but it would apparently make you feel better? You think people will keep flying bombers for no possible gain of any kind for bailing every time? Won't make me feel any better because as a wish it will be there with every other one I have asked for  :headscratch: It has never happened.

Wiley.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »
Legit

So when the guy comes in, takes a few pings from the ack, and then augers, that's an improvement?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
So when the guy comes in, takes a few pings from the ack, and then augers, that's an improvement?

Wiley.

If all the other stuff was done I said.
Yes.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 12:34:35 AM »
If all the other stuff was done I said.
Yes.

So the bomber comes in, drops.  Turns his plane around and flies through the puffy ack and takes a couple pings, then augers.  That is legitimate and wouldn't reset his damage?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 05:01:14 AM »
I think if folk put up a solution to stand on its own it will get shot down..... Clearly it's not a problem that gets eradicated in a single fix.

Looking at what motivates bomber pilots to bail we see..... ( from some players perspectives)

-Long potentially boring and time consuming flights home after hitting target
- threat of attack from enemy aircraft and virtual death.

We can of course comment upon the character of players who do such stuff and whine that it is not within the spirit of the game play as intended. But this resolves nothing.

So how do we motivate players not to bail? Can we,from their perspective, make it more fun not to bail? If not can we create an alternative to bailing that does not deny the attacking aircraft access to the fun he has spent time (climbing?) to achieve?

Clearly bomber/bailers see the fun of bombing but not the fun of returning to base...... or at leastthe rtb is of lesser value than the objects destroyed. My view is that the reward for rtb should be increased in comparison to bailing. Using all the tools available ( perks, attaboy's achievements, score etc etc) plus any other new rewards folk can think of.

If none of this is considered compensation for the long time spent flying back then enable AI return of empty bombers to at least allow the interceptors access to interception and the bomber pilot immediate access to another mission. Motivate the bomber pilot with rewards to do this rather than bail.

Ensure that in every respect there is no advantage to bailing instead of fighting.

Finally reward the consistently returning bomber pilot with access to better ordinance either thru the perk system or some other mechanism....possibly even a future consideration to enable field mods to planes that have rtb'd.

Ludere Vincere

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 05:17:01 AM »
One alternative use of AI could be such that the act of bailing causes AI to take over the bomber.

Think of AI as the Co-pilot who did not bail out and continued to fly it home or ride the stricken aircraft to its doom.

Now our bomber bailer is back at base and able to launch another mission. He/she has probably not maximised perks or score or earned attaboys. But has earned some more rewards when compared to just flying the bombers into the ground,

The bombers left flying are trying to get back to the launch base ( which may not be the best route) but are available for interception.

Those intercepting get full credits and are shown as achieving kills on the bomber bailer.

I guess the players FE is having to fly them so there is a resource debate there.

To disable the AI bombers the player would have to altF4.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 05:21:53 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 07:39:56 AM »
Tilt, I think you have a very good idea there.  :aok

One of the reasons for the bomber/bailer is simply Operations Management. 

Get the most ordnance to the target as quickly as possible.

Time from takeoff to target is mandatory.

Any time spent in the air that you're not delivering ord. to target is wasted, therefore needs to be eliminated.

So, once the ord is out, you're wasting time in the air.  Get out of the air and launch with more ord.

The only way you're going to stop that is to adjust the efficiency of the damage/time formula.

Now, perhaps as a motivation, if Tilt's idea is imposed, The damage done by the bombers that are abandoned by the bailing pilot should have the down time period reduced significantly.

Might not be efficient if the hangars you just leveled pop in 5 minutes ( before you could return the base with more ord ).

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 08:23:28 AM »

Clearly bomber/bailers see the fun

i'm not entirely convinced that type of player has fun at all to begin with..

you constantly hear them talk on country channel about doing "work"  (porking, etc) in the game. and if you make a point to tell them you're there to have fun and not to work, they go ape on you for not playing their way.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »

While Understand your frustration, making someone be a target against their will, seems anti-freedom.  You just have to manage your expectations, not everyone elses game play.  :salute

Just by upping in an online environment, each player has agreed to be "a target". If they don't want to engage in combat or interact with others, they can start the game in offline mode or create their own custom arena.

Oh, and for those who asked, the manueverkillrange "proxy range" is 2k (6000 feet) and can be checked in the arena settings.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »
i'm not entirely convinced that type of player has fun at all to begin with..

you constantly hear them talk on country channel about doing "work"  (porking, etc) in the game. and if you make a point to tell them you're there to have fun and not to work, they go ape on you for not playing their way.

Call it "job satisfaction" then........... its all the same, its the "emotional bit" that makes you want to do it again.............
Ludere Vincere

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
Just by upping in an online environment, each player has agreed to be "a target". If they don't want to engage in combat or interact with others, they can start the game in offline mode or create their own custom arena.

If that logic holds up, then there is no reason to have a "bail out" option. Change the game so that you are in your plane until your die, or you .ef.

-1 for that idea as well.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »
As I said before, put a small perk tag on the drones (1st bomber for free). If they want to bail for free they should take a single buff.
This.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
So the bomber comes in, drops.  Turns his plane around and flies through the puffy ack and takes a couple pings, then augers.  That is legitimate and wouldn't reset his damage?

Wiley.

My mistake.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:37:47 PM by lyric1 »

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 03:10:24 PM »
I see why you are so concerned now with my posts you bail out of bombers more than you land them.

No he does not.  Ever.  I've know Wiley for 10 years, from WarBirds to here.  Wiley ALWAYS play's fair, to a fault.  I've got no idea what set you off but again sir, you are dead wrong.

I expect an apology to Wiley sir.
Wag more, bark less.