Author Topic: If I Wanted to Increase my Frame Rate, What Would I do?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: If I Wanted to Increase my Frame Rate, What Would I do?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 09:52:39 PM »
just giving something to think about.  it is still his call.

semp

Any of us could have typed it, but that wasn't an answer to his question.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 04:51:22 AM »
Without a new graphics card this is true, but since AH2 is so CPU-dependent, and the cost is very limited, you will definitively win some FPS and have a generally faster machine. Even I noticed a FPS change when I changed my old i7 930 to a i5 with boost ( environmental mapping 2 steps full HD)

AH3 from what I have read, will be much less CPU-dependent more offloaded to graphics.

Over clocking the CPU is unlikely to increase frame rate enough to make it worthwhile.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:58 AM »
to be honest save your money and upgrade your mobo, cpu, ram and video card.  updating the video card by itself wont make you happy.

semp

For the next update to Aces High, this will not be quite true.  If you are in the neighborhood of 3Ghz, for the CPU, then a video card upgrade could be the ticket.  Just make sure your new card has 2GB of dedicated video RAM, or more, if you want to run with max eye candy.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 07:20:19 AM »
Without a new graphics card this is true, but since AH2 is so CPU-dependent, and the cost is very limited, you will definitively win some FPS and have a generally faster machine. Even I noticed a FPS change when I changed my old i7 930 to a i5 with boost ( environmental mapping 2 steps full HD)

AH3 from what I have read, will be much less CPU-dependent more offloaded to graphics.

You are comparing 2 different CPU's. If the OP goes from 30 fps to 34 fps for example, it won't be worth the extra heat and power use. I've over clocked several CPU's and never noticed a difference playing AH even though the fps numbers were higher. If over clocking is a good idea for you then you aren't asking other people which video card to buy.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:17:07 AM »
If you don't want to spend too much money, a second hand high end video card would boost your frame rates without sacrificing eye candy. My cpu is in the same range, an E8500, I started with a Radeon HD3870 with 512 Mb, which I traded to a used HD6970 having 2 GB of video RAM. Very happy with the current setup, frame rate is mostly a solid 59 with most graphics maxxed.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 230G

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »
For the next update to Aces High, this will not be quite true.  If you are in the neighborhood of 3Ghz, for the CPU, then a video card upgrade could be the ticket.  Just make sure your new card has 2GB of dedicated video RAM, or more, if you want to run with max eye candy.

Thank you. This is the type specific information I was seeking, along with recommendations of specific video cards.
If you approach from me from my 12:00 you will be unapologetically HO'ed.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 11:37:06 AM »
As I wrote in response -together with a new graphics card etc etc you gain performance.

Dollar for dollar for a fan, and spending an hour overclocking it - together with general performance gain is definite worth doing.
Remember computers tend to have more uses than AH alone.

As an example I overclocked my stock I7 (2.9gighz) to 3.98 Gigahertz, and general response time was much better, and some extra fps was added to the games, definitively worth some $$ for a aftermarket cooling fan prolonging the lifespan as a gaming rig.

You are comparing 2 different CPU's. If the OP goes from 30 fps to 34 fps for example, it won't be worth the extra heat and power use. I've over clocked several CPU's and never noticed a difference playing AH even though the fps numbers were higher. If over clocking is a good idea for you then you aren't asking other people which video card to buy.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 07:53:58 PM »
Or get HWinfo and find out where the relationship of load on the CPU to load on your existing vid card is, which one gets maxed first under load.

I have an overclocked AMD Phenom 2 550 black edition at 3.6 with a GTX570 vid card. AH plays just fine with most settings and I always get a solid 59FPS. Been running it this way for years.  Good cooling on the CPU is of course a must.

I'm in the hold on until you can do a rebuild camp.  Look at Ripley's budget build

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline 230G

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 06:30:45 AM »
 OK, I began the quest for a new video card. The specifications of my MB state it has one PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.) .  The GTX 660's, 670's and 750's all are PCI 3.0. Will they work in my PCI 2.0 slots?

Assuming they won't, anyone have any recommendations for a decent PCI 2.0 card. Surely there's one out there that will give me better performance than my GTX 250! BTW, I'm certainly not stuck on the GTX series and will use whatever works.

Thanks again,
  230G
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:40:21 AM by 230G »

Offline 230G

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 07:00:10 AM »
  OK, I've been doing a little research in an attempt to figure this out on my own.

The basic specs of my current card are: 

CUDA Cores- 128
Graphics Clock (MHz)- 738MHz
Processor Clock (MHz)- 1836MHz

Would it be a safe assumption that higher numbers in these areas will improve performance? If so, I found a couple that are compatible with my MB and their specs are:

GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi)-

Core Clock: 810MHz
Shader Clock: 1620MHz
CUDA Cores: 336

Radeon HD6970

Core Clock: 880MHz
Stream Processors: 1536 Stream Processors

Thanks again!

230G

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 08:26:34 AM »
New PCI versions should be downwards compatible. So it's OK to have a PCI 3.0 card in a PCI 2.0 slot. I say "should" only because within the multitude of models there might be a non-standard one.

Speaking of efficiency, the higher the "tens" digit is, the more powerful the card is within its series. Thus a gtx 580 is faster than a gtx 750. There's other variables to take into consideration, though, one being the amount and speed of the video card memory. 2 GB of GDDR5 might be enough for AH3 but more is usually better. Also, you're only partially right in assuming that higher clock rates mean better performance. Pages like http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html will give you a rough idea about each candidate's performance. For further comparison google e.g. for "gtx 560 vs hd6970". There's sites doing such comparisons for almost every card. Read them with caution, though: Especially if the cards are direct rivals, it's more a question of personal preferences and choice of games played than real performance differences! Anyway, they'll help you choose between equal performers if their prices vary a lot, or choose the better one from two equally priced.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 08:49:16 AM »
Try this one Tom is usually spot on

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Hope this link works, if not its Toms Hardware

Best Graphics Cards For The Money: March 2015

PS I don't know what your timeline is but I talked to my son last night he has 2 HD7970 cards running in Crossfire that he wants to replace with a newer card, should be about a step and a half or 2 better than my GTX570 I'm gonna take one don't know what he's doing with the other and whether or not it would work for you but I can find out.

warning though he overclocks everything, the clock in the kitchen on the wall runs 10 minutes fast. hehe
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:59:13 AM by Hungry »
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »
If your really trying to get the most out of the ol girl ...look for a used core 2 quad or extreme. Looked at ur motherboard specs and u can run them.

A  70-80 dollar used Core 2 Quad Q9550 can get you on some of the mid-range  core I5 levels for gaming. It's not going to be a K series or anything...but it could breath some life back into an old system.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 02:21:26 PM »
Any of us could have typed it, but that wasn't an answer to his question.

Yes it is. The tile involves a different question. You are just trying to start trouble.

Skuzzy claims that AHIII will be different, but with that MB I don't think so. My previous ownership of the same board with an E8400 CPU and using everything from a 7950 to the GTX 480 demonstrated single digit FPS improvements. So sharing my experience in answer to the titled question is appropriate.

If you don't like seeing me answer up in posts then you should avoid the BBS.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 09:50:23 AM »

Yes it is. The tile involves a different question. You are just trying to start trouble.

Skuzzy claims that AHIII will be different, but with that MB I don't think so. My previous ownership of the same board with an E8400 CPU and using everything from a 7950 to the GTX 480 demonstrated single digit FPS improvements. So sharing my experience in answer to the titled question is appropriate.

If you don't like seeing me answer up in posts then you should avoid the BBS.

Easy there champ.  The OP specifically stated that a new rig was not an answer to his wishes.  So you are free to move along as I actually replied to the OP within the confines of his question and left the non helpful, "get a new rig".

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC