Author Topic: TV Series -- "The Great British Bake Off"  (Read 230 times)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
TV Series -- "The Great British Bake Off"
« on: March 05, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »
This is the best baking series I've watched.  Been a fan for a couple of years now.  There's wit, drama, beauty, kindness, and well crafted TV.

This is the finale.  If this be your cup of tea, view the past episodes.  Loads to learn also.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365408813/

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
Re: TV Series -- "The Great British Bake Off"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 02:31:17 AM »
Actually watched a bit of this myself. It's much more straightforward and feels more honest than American shows.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 05:15:34 PM »
We watched this last night, amazing.  British commoners baking edible food!  Using French nouns.  What could be next?  British wines?  (As ridiculous as it sounds, my wife and I went to an English wine festival at Leeds Castle (Kent) in the 1980s.  Lots of comments like “well that is lively…and fresh” and “Oh how fruity!” in-between many forced smiles of encouragement).  Anyway, back to French cooking in England…

It is difficult to think of how to state the following with the full force and resounding effect that it possibility deserves.  But I will try.  I think that it would be fair to say that until a few years ago an epistemological study of the words “Great” and “British” and “Bake” could only have resulted in declaring the sentence the quintessential definition of an oxymoron.

It was not that long ago that the French, with a considerable amount of justification it should be noted, used to view English cooking, at best, as some sort cosmic gaffe.  They thought it was some sort of a satirical non-French tribute to French culture much in the same way that the French have been amused by Peter Sellers’ Chief Inspector Clouseau of The Pink Panther fame.  At worst they have viewed it as an affront to civilization.

In fact I remember there being a number of French jokes about English cooking all ending with the punch line, “Roast Beef.”

If someone were to suggest to me that Operation Sea Loin was cancelled in part because the German High command was dreading eating English food after the conquest, I’d hear that person out.

I know that food in England has improved a hundred fold in the past several years.  When we were in England a few years ago we were surprised by the quality and variety of what was on offer.  (Must be all them damn foreigners now getting into the homeland through the Chunnel!).

These some of the English foods that I like (when prepared/cooked correctly)

Fish and Chips
Cheese and Cucumber sandwiches
Cheddar
Stilton cheese (although this was ruined when unpasteurized Stilton was banned!)
Wensleydale (really good with cranberries)
Kippers (smoked)
Pork pie
Cottage pie (minced beef)
Shepherd's pie (minced lamb)
Steak and kidney pudding
Bangers
Back bacon
Black puddings
Local lagers and bitters
Tea (expect for Earl Grey)

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 06:00:51 PM »
Actually watched a bit of this myself. It's much more straightforward and feels more honest than American shows.

The difference is----

Brit - "Oi, these kippers are bleedin marvelous"

American - "^*% *&%* #*(@() (swear x 100) You SUCK!"
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »

You mean the US shows were suppose to be the real deal, not the scripted crap that everything else is? :headscratch:

The difference is----

Brit - "Oi, these kippers are bleedin marvelous"

>American - "^*% *&%* #*(@() (swear x 100) You SUCK!"<

No, you are wrong.  Too many non-cuss words. lol
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 06:08:29 PM »
Dang, I thought it sounded weak
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »
lol
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 01:23:18 AM »
Sys, great documentary on Mary Berry; narrator makes your point less than a min in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7udjSxLzE

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »
Will there be pies?

I mean, proper pies?

Huzzah! / It's an outrage!
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB