Author Topic: Gun Camera Footage of 1945 Mistels being shot down...while still piggybacked  (Read 623 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Great film of the dumbest aviation idea ever...notice in the last shootdown of Mistel's, there is a guy hanging off the tailwheel of the 111 carrying it.  Just bizarre.

https://youtu.be/89ZAONQVF5I
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Nice find.  I've seen a still of that where the guy is below the tail.  I remember the caption stating he was bailing out.  But it sure didn't look like he had a chute and he was awfully low to open it anyway.  Considering those things below the fighter were packed with explosives I'd want out of the 190 in a hurry before it blew up.  Interesting that the one Ju88 had been detached.  I imagine there was no one actually flying it at that point.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Vulch  fest!!
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Here's the still from that film that I remembered seeing.  Mustang pilot Bernard Howes of the 55th FG shot this one down.   It sure didn't look like the pilot had a chute and if so it still looks too low to open.  I imagine the choice of burning to death in that cockpit on fire vs falling were his only options.  Not a cartoon game in that case...

As an aside Howes was an Ace with five kills.  He was taken POW when he deliberately landed to try and rescue a buddy.  As they tried to take off they struck a ditch and crashed.  Needless to say they were a long way from home.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Those looked like 111s to me but wow anyway.  It appears in the film that they were over some water.  Maybe he got lucky, lol

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
I think it's snow on the ground we're seeing.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
I think it's snow on the ground we're seeing.

Oh.  Hope it's deeeeeeep...lmao

Offline Phoenix3107

• Copper Member
Here's the still from that film that I remembered seeing.  Mustang pilot Bernard Howes of the 55th FG shot this one down.   It sure didn't look like the pilot had a chute and if so it still looks too low to open.  I imagine the choice of burning to death in that cockpit on fire vs falling were his only options.  Not a cartoon game in that case...

As an aside Howes was an Ace with five kills.  He was taken POW when he deliberately landed to try and rescue a buddy.  As they tried to take off they struck a ditch and crashed.  Needless to say they were a long way from home.

(Image removed from quote.)

I can't say that he had a soft landing, but it beats a plane ready to blow up by a gunblazing 51.
GameID:Phoenix

Also can be found under my DA name
"Lonewolf32097" at www.deviantart.com.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Poor fellow - desperate measures.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Poor fellow - desperate measures.

Agreed
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
I'm not to convinced that he was alive after he bailed. Will the amount of gunfire he was probably killed upon bailing.

The price of war unfortunately.  :salute
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
I'd say the shooter of that loose Ju88 Mistel realized at some point what would happen if he hit the bomber in a wrong place at that close range.  :eek:

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Look at the cockpit area of the 190 on the one with the guy hanging from the tailwheel.  Looks like the chute opened in the cockpit, and the pilot just climbed out and was probably hoping to fly over a drop into a river or lake or something.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Those Ju88s didn't have the nose of the explosive filled Ju88s.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
Nice find , poor dude .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!