Author Topic: Perk rewards effort.  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Petrol

• Zinc Member
Perk rewards effort.
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:35:53 AM »
I know the perk modifier and  ENY,OBJ are used to calculate perk points.
But I had to laugh!

I took a single B29 (90 perks) up to 33.5k loaded with 40 x 500lbs
A long, long climb. 
Ozkansas map. Took off NE Base 183 6k.  Heading North for a while then turning south for a while till I got to 30k.
I made up the remaining 3.3k on way to Rook City which was @ 100%
Dropped 18 blocks, saved 4 eggs for trip home.
Hit 2 town centres with a 500lb (approx 15 buildings each drop) and landed with 2 eggs still on board.

I don't know how long the flight was but I had full tank when I upped and 1/8th of tank of fuel left on landing.

1.5 perks

I probably won't fly B29 again.   Easier to take B17's and spend the perks on a 234

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Perk rewards effort.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 06:38:43 AM »
This is an OUTRAGE!  :old:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 06:49:11 AM »
You took the best armed and one of the fastest bombers, moved it up to an altitude that effectively removes it from gameplay. And from this maximum safety you simply dropped 10 tons of bombs on objects.
Much could be said about earning perks in bombers. But to me, this time 1.5 perks sounds about the right reward for that.

The B-29 is a plane to burn perks, not to earn them. It's a plane for 'maximum effect'.
In my opinion, it's bad enough that the two other perk bombers can easily pay for themselves.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:50:47 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Petrol

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 07:02:43 AM »
Removes it from game play at 33.5k how? There are numerous fighters in game that can easily reach that alt and kill it.
Dropped bombs on buildings.  What else is it supposed to hit?

You are correct, the B29 is a plane to burn perks.  It's maximum effect in game is dropping city blocks.

1.5 perks just seems a little light. 

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 07:13:18 AM »
Removes it from game play at 33.5k how? There are numerous fighters in game that can easily reach that alt and kill it.

They can reach that altitude, but easily kill the 29? No.

Even in the Me 163 most players will have a lot of trouble in engaging B-29s with success at that altitude, most will mostly fight their own plane. And for the remaining fighter set, hunting down 33k Superfortresses is a tedious and very difficult task. So much, that very few players actually try it. Even the best plane for this task, the Ta 152H, will have a lot of problems getting into a promising attack position.

So flying a ~350mph, massively armed B-29 at 33k is about as close to be 'safe' in online mode as possible.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 12:23:22 PM »
Dropped bombs on buildings.  What else is it supposed to hit?

You are correct, the B29 is a plane to burn perks.  It's maximum effect in game is dropping city blocks.

1.5 perks just seems a little light.

How many B29's have you shot down at 33K ?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »
B29s are unkillable once they get above 30K. I've tried a 152, P47N, P47M, Spit 14 and I have never been able to catch one. The only thing that I caught a B29 in was a 163 and it ate up all my 30mms and never died.  :(

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 12:47:22 PM »
B29s are unkillable once they get above 30K. I've tried a 152, P47N, P47M, Spit 14 and I have never been able to catch one.

It's difficult, but they aren't unkillable  :devil

And all of the mentioned planes are able to catch up and get into an attack position, but you need time, patience and skillful high alt flying for that.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »
The last set I went after I ended up a little behind and below them when I found them.  I chased them with my 152 but think I might have ran out of fuel by the time I hit altitude and closed to gun range.  To get the alt and position for a proper attack, my attention span timer would have run out.

Perks reward effort and risk.  You only had one of those going for you.
AMAX  in game

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 12:50:34 PM »
skillful high alt flying for that.

That must be why I'm not able to catch them.  :D

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »
I fly the pony.  I get more perks for dropping bombs and rockets in town than for killing fighters.  so I compromise, i use bombs and rockets to kill fighters taking off :).  you fly a plane because you like flying it not because of what it gets you.  if you begin to fly it because of what it gets you then it becomes more of a job than fun.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »
It's difficult, but they aren't unkillable  :devil

And all of the mentioned planes are able to catch up and get into an attack position, but you need time, patience and skillful high alt flying for that.

MOST folks don't take the 100% fuel REQUIRED to intercept high altitude B-29's, let alone have the ability to wait for a proper attack position. lol
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 02:19:07 PM »
I think the last time I took up a set of B-29s was to attack bish HQ at about 25k. I lost two of my drones but managed to bring down 2 163s, a dora, a 152, and I think a 109...

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »
I only ever went after a set of B29s once(well it was actaully 4 sets). First I caught them on their climb out approaching 30k. I made two unsuccessful passes before I was oiled and PW on the Third.

I landed and got back up to meet them over our HQ. After Knocking the wingtip off of one of the Leads, he broke of the rest of the formation and i was able to bring him down as he made a Shallow decent.

I only registered one B29 kill at around 30k, and after each pass it was at-least 3 minutes before I had recovered enough speed and alt to make another proper pass. The do become significatly more vulnerable to the likes of a 152 or p47 under 30k
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 02:41:56 PM »
Makes me wonder how many players got the "Tadao Sumi" achievement - kill 4 B-29 in one sortie....  :headscratch: