Author Topic: Instrument Landing System Indicator  (Read 576 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Instrument Landing System Indicator
« on: March 29, 2015, 03:42:08 PM »
 :airplane: Just for "giggles", take a look at the indicator pictured and you are making a front course ILS into a airport, what is the indicator telling you? You just crossed the "outer Marker"

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p684/earl1937/thDPUIQFAO%20ils%20indicator_zpsxnroqxi3.jpg
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Re: Instrument Landing System Indicator
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 03:47:01 PM »
  Bail out!!   :D

Not a pilot but guessing I'm missing my approach centerline?  :headscratch:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 04:06:11 PM »
High and right.   Not full scale deflection yet so, assuming you had intercepted the slope from below continue the approach.

(Come left, increase descent rate.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:09:52 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 06:55:55 PM »
High and right.   Not full scale deflection yet so, assuming you had intercepted the slope from below continue the approach.

(Come left, increase descent rate.)
:airplane: You are correct to a point! The dots on the instrument tell you how far above the glideslope and how far right of the the center line of the runway in feet, at the outer marker, what are they?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:36:10 PM »
I don't know that stuff anymore.  My airplane tells me exactly how far I am deviating.  I haven't flown an ILS with steam gauges like that in a decade.  :cheers:
”KILLER V”

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 12:02:14 AM »
Haha it says that you are about to bust your ATP Xride  :rofl
500ft lateral 50 ft vertical. On the 747 where the receiver is on the landing gear you actually see the GS jump when u lower the gear  :lol Anyway who cares how far off you are, correct it. :airplane:
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »
Haha it says that you are about to bust your ATP Xride  :rofl
500ft lateral 50 ft vertical. On the 747 where the receiver is on the landing gear you actually see the GS jump when u lower the gear  :lol Anyway who cares how far off you are, correct it. :airplane:

Ha ha ha!   :cheers:
”KILLER V”

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 10:25:33 AM »

Ha ha ha!   :cheers:
:airplane: Back in the "day", so to speak, I was taking a type rating ride in a DC-6B! During the oral part of the ride, we go over all the aircraft systems and then he, the examiner, went over the different instrument approaches we would do during the ride. He touched briefly on an ADF approach and gosh, hadn't shot one of those in years, but thought what the heck, I figure it out as we go.
It was VFR, so we didn't have to fool with ATC, did all the "air" work, steep turns, engine out stuff and all that junk, then shot 3 ILS's into the old Naval Air Station at Albany, Ga, the headed to Valdosta to shoot a couple of ADF approaches into Thomasville, Ga, and everything went pretty smooth for me first couple of approaches, wind out the NW about 330, inbound heading track was 240 as I recall, so had my drift computations worked out in my head before the first one, so everything went pretty smooth.
About that time he gives a "hold" at 4,000, left turns on the NDB! after about two tracks, I am on the inbound leg and all of sudden, he says, make right turns and hold at 3,000 feet, 1 min legs. Oh crap, every figure in my head went out the window and had to start over, while descending to 3,000 feet. I must have worked it out ok, as I passed the ride ok.
Can you visualize what it would be like with todays traffic, with aircraft stacked from 5,000 to 15,000 and having to descend with a NDB approach into a major airport? The advancement in electronic navigational aids has been the most important improvement in air transportation since the invention of the Jet engine! LOL

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
wow thank god for this I can't help saying, as i drink my beer in  appreciation of linesman day, and lt. Col. hite's passing
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:43:19 AM by craz07 »
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear