Author Topic: Stupid things you did or fell for when you were new  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Stupid things you did or fell for when you were new
« on: April 16, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »
We had a funny conversation on 200 one night about our first experiences with Aces high 2. Let's continue it here! What are some things that you are somewhat embarrassed about having done or fell for when you were still new to the game (or even later on as well :)  )

In my first few sorties ever I had no idea that friendlies on the same channel as you would have a different colored icon. I thought they were enemies so I killshot myself on them for the first 10 or so sorties before I realized they weren't enemy!  :o

I remember when I was in the Claim Jumpers we did a squad bombing run. One of the squaddies was lagging behind and couldn't catch up or climb with us. Someone cracked a joke that he must be using the lead paint skin. I was an idiot and actually thought different skins changed the weight of your plane.  :o

I'm at least proud to admit I never fell for alt+f4  :P

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Stupid things you did or fell for when you were new
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:38:45 AM »
I'm at least proud to admit I never fell for alt+f4  :P

I did though... after I had been playing for 2.5 years... :noid

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »
I was mission with a decent number of heavy ponies that had just lifted for a strike on an enemy base. By the time we climbed to about 10k the group was not in as tight of a formation as we were when we lifted. A newb squeeked out on range asking how to make his plane faster to catch up to the leaders. I responded "Turn on WEP", to which he replied, "How do I do that?", to which I answered, "Press enter 3 times quickly". Shortly after a loaded p51 was falling to earth and there was quite a ruckus of laughter on range channel.

Was it mean? yes. Would I do it again given the opportunity? you bet your sweet cheeks, it was hilarious!  :cheers:

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 11:44:36 AM »
I was mission with a decent number of heavy ponies that had just lifted for a strike on an enemy base. By the time we climbed to about 10k the group was not in as tight of a formation as we were when we lifted. A newb squeeked out on range asking how to make his plane faster to catch up to the leaders. I responded "Turn on WEP", to which he replied, "How do I do that?", to which I answered, "Press enter 3 times quickly". Shortly after a loaded p51 was falling to earth and there was quite a ruckus of laughter on range channel.

Was it mean? yes. Would I do it again given the opportunity? you bet your sweet cheeks, it was hilarious!  :cheers:

you're evil, but that's funny!  :lol

Offline darkzking

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 11:46:22 AM »
Crabby said to join a mission type .country 1 into chat so i did and was sent to the bish......... :o, also saw a CV off of our base upped a b5n2 and tried to launch torpedoes after torpedoes none of them hit so i upped an SBD and dive bombed it several times finally someone asked me what i was doing and i said "trying to sink the ship" he replied " Its ours you idiot :o :o". I have plenty more to share... :cheers:
raynos32 Leader of the 242nd Sloppy Terminators
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 11:48:38 AM »
Driving back to spawn to land my GV. Map fully zoomed in, trying to put myself directly on the spawning arrow. And then wondering why I STILL get captured  :bhead

Finally grasping the concept of spawncamping and rolling to a totally insignificant enemy spawn during off hours. Then waiting there for 2 hours to collect the required two kills for a landing
message   :o

Mistaking the Room text channel with Range channel and trying to warn the GV guys below me of that enemy tank behind them...  :lol

Hoing a 190 in my first Me 262 sortie ever... "I have 4x30mm, I can't lose that!"
Yes, I could  :rofl

Getting a wonderful >6k kill on an enemy tank at a spawn.
Oh wait... that was no enemy tank. That was a friendly one way beyond icon range! *tower*
Still, a splendind shot I'm still proud of  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »
Somehow, when I'm typing in the radio buffer, I end up bailed out of my plane.  I must somehow push enter 3x, but I can never really figure out how I'm accidentally doing that!  It's happened to me in both Warbirds and Aces High for me.       

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 12:09:56 PM »
I joined a fake "dickweed heavy bomber group" back in 2001. I admittedly had no idea of what I was doing.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »
I came to Aces High from Fighter Ace. I went directly to the DA, as I had when I started Fighter Ace, and loaded up my favorite plane, the N1K2-J. I upped and headed towards the enemy. Looking out and down I see a 110, and think "Oh yeah, here's my first kill, what a noob to fly the 110 in a dueling arena". I head towards said 110, which turns in head on. I planned to avoid the HO, but since we were at least 2k apart I definitely wasn't planning the maneuver just yet. At about 1.5k apart I see something coming from the nose of the 110. Not thinking about rockets in any form, I don't do anything. Needless to say my very first sortie in AH ended in a rocket death to none other than Molerat. We've been buds since. =S= Molerat!
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 12:21:27 PM »
My first sortie ever was 2 seconds long as I got vulched by an La-7. I've hated the plane ever since.  ;)

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 12:35:37 PM »
I didn't discover Hat switch and the ability to look around until 2 weeks after I subscribed.

I remember back in 2008 or w/e when I was riding those 2 week trials I had climbed all the way up to 30k B17s to get obliterated from 1.5 out. I also remember my first kill(non-proxie) being a Half winged oiled and probably PW F4F limbing back to base. I dove in compressing and pinged him a few times before he augered in.... I slammed into the ocean just as i got the Kill message award :D
See Rule #4

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 12:53:27 PM »
I upped from a cv about 5 or 6 times and put all my bombs and rockets I the indestructible,  that sob didn't want to go down.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
Day 2: Someone called out for M3 with troops for a field that was 2-3 sectors away.  I found out about the spawn points 3 hours later. :o
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 01:26:57 PM »
I thanked the check six voice for almost a week.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 01:28:14 PM »
I thanked the check six voice for almost a week.

:rofl