Author Topic: Stupid things you did or fell for when you were new  (Read 3186 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Stupid things you did or fell for when you were new
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 08:01:13 PM »

In my first few sorties ever I had no idea that friendlies on the same channel as you would have a different colored icon. I thought they were enemies so I killshot myself on them for the first 10 or so sorties before I realized they weren't enemy!  :o

Same here.  I saw an orange icon and his name was either major/captain something.  I thought the guy was crazy to be flying around all of us green guys. 
I kill shot myself many times on that one.

Coogan   :joystick:
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 08:54:42 PM »
I didn't know how to type or use the radio for the first week.

I was thought I was gonna be beast mode after flying combat flight Sim for a few years. I highly overestimated myself. I didn't know other onlinr flying games had existed. I got owned left and right for months. That was 10 years ago and for some reason I'm more addicted to this game than any powerful drug could imagine. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:47:50 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 08:56:06 PM »
I played with my stall limiter on for 5 years lmao never even knew there was something you could check and uncheck, once I realized my stupidity I changed it.

problem is you havent figured out what you changed :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:53 PM »
Long long time ago I met vDallas... the V-squad was trying to take an airfield back when tigers/Panzer 4's were the only tanks. I managed to cap about 15 of them and a few times I nailed vDallas, he would banter on the ratio and I would "Vox" myself and Banter back. My mistake was I put my name in the Vox button. Eventually Dallas got to disgruntled and tried to bomb my "Tiger" but I was only in a Panzer 4 because I had no idea how to "purchase" a tiger then.

He manages to bomb me, so I upped an Il-2 or A-20 and nailed like 5 more of his tanks, I landed and seen they had a dar next sector, the banter went back and forth, the entire time I was "Voxing" myself.

I managed to shoot down 4-5 of them by myself and the help of someone else, they didn't eventually take the Base, Dallas was impressed with my determination to defend and after messaging him through the channel, I learned I haven't spoken a word to him the entire time.

/since 1stG disbanded, I wasn't with a squad from 02-06, eventually joined the Dallas-Club until I realized he pretty much bantered everyone. He got a good laugh when I told him how I was "voxing" myself. But I never really spoke much then, I always flew solo
JG 52

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 10:05:17 PM »
My first time in the ma was confusing..
Someone recruited me from the TA  and persuaded me to come to the MA and up from a field..
I tried to do this repeatedly but kept blowing up on the runway..
I got vulched 8 to 10 times before I realised what was going on..
I had got conned into coming from TA as raw vulch bait..
Lol..
It was all still very confusing for a good while...
I never knew what all the different things at the bases where..just shoot at everything thinking I was helping lol
I remember hearing over range that if you wanted the green cross for aim assistance like in the TA all you needed to do was alt f4. ..boom to windows I went..lol...suckered!
You can forget quite quickly how bewildering the ma  is when you first arrive..
<S> to all us noobs that stick it out
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 03:43:16 PM »
My first time in the ma was confusing..
Someone recruited me from the TA  and persuaded me to come to the MA and up from a field..
I tried to do this repeatedly but kept blowing up on the runway..
I got vulched 8 to 10 times before I realised what was going on..
I had got conned into coming from TA as raw vulch bait..
Lol..
It was all still very confusing for a good while...
I never knew what all the different things at the bases where..just shoot at everything thinking I was helping lol
I remember hearing over range that if you wanted the green cross for aim assistance like in the TA all you needed to do was alt f4. ..boom to windows I went..lol...suckered!
You can forget quite quickly how bewildering the ma  is when you first arrive..
<S> to all us noobs that stick it out

Lmao, as a 14 yo new to online gaming on the computer. I too fell for the atl F4 trick.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »
I played with my stall limiter on for 5 years lmao never even knew there was something you could check and uncheck, once I realized my stupidity I changed it.

I played with the stall limiter on for years too.  Oh wait, I still do.   :banana:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline hcrana

• Copper Member
      • http://www.menacingferrets.com
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2015, 04:47:41 PM »
Lmao, as a 14 yo new to online gaming on the computer. I too fell for the atl F4 trick.

Guilty; but I was considerably older than 14 and I knew damned well what ALT-F4 was for.  Still rankles a bit.
Herr Doktor Professor Kolonel H.C. Rana
Kommanding Ossifer, The Menacing Ferrets
ILLEGITIMATVS NON CARBORVNDVM EST

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2015, 06:08:18 PM »
snuck a A20 NOE to the very active enemy field next door. Lined up beautifully on the runway just a couple hundred feet off the deck, open bay doors, drop my bombs in a line down the runway and booked it to safety feeling that I had really accomplished something by cratering the runway. "That will put a damper on their takeoff ability, MUH HA HA HA!!!!"  found out later that evening that bombing the runway does nothing and also that I wasn't even high enough for the bombs to arm.
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »
I was told all the green guys were enemy ... so i was firing on green guys ... what a duhh .. when I found out the greenies wer friends..

Lawndart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 10:06:52 PM »

I once got conned into joining the Jokers  :bolt:
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2015, 11:14:11 PM »
the only thing that comes to mind for me...is in DA no one uses 200....for a very long time I thought everyone in DA was salamanders and just didn't want to talk to me.... :rofl :rofl :rofl

had no clue about channel 1 :o

Been playing almost 2 years on amd off just learned about channel 1  :noid
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 12:32:37 AM »
Didn't realize that the rockets weren't AtA missiles, kept firing rockets when I was on someone's six. Asked how to get the missiles to lock on, and fell for the Alt F4... 3 times in a row before I realized it wasn't the game bugging out, and they were just arschgeiger.

Though ammunition loadouts were rate of fire selections, and kept choosing the lowest ones, thinking it would extend firing time of a fixed amount of ammunition. It honestly didn't occur to me that they could just load more or less ammunition.

Fell for the History Channel's "zomg, T-34!" and kept wondering how in god's name they were killing me.

Moved head position back in GV gunsights, halving the range of my gunsight reticulation, under the impression it would change my FOV. I limited myself to engaging at 1600yds for no reason.

Carpet bombed fields thinking that's how it was done in WWII.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 12:42:19 AM »
alt+f4 in the first 2weeks. and fell for the "2weeks" joke for like 6 months lmao
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 02:23:07 AM »

Been playing almost 2 years on amd off just learned about channel 1  :noid

:rofl :cheers: