Author Topic: Game stuttering and several questions.  (Read 278 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Game stuttering and several questions.
« on: April 25, 2015, 03:14:07 AM »
I still have the same old problem just not nearly as bad. One thing I've found is that it seems to be a windows update. I'm not sure which one. The other day I had a request to repair windows. So I tried repair. That didn't work. Then it asked if I wanted to restore, which I did. After that the game was much better but not perfect.

So now here are my questions. Is there a way to find the update that is causing the problem? I have since turned updates off.

The other possible issue is I have 16 gigs or ram but from 2 different brands and both are the same speed. Both are in matching colored slots. Gskill in Blue and Pny in Black. Should I remove one brand?

The last question is at one time Skuzzy recommended using the 32 bit version of windows 7. Should I reload the 32 bit version?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Game stuttering and several questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:29:19 AM »
Mixing brands of RAM is usually not a good idea.  The many different timings of the two brands are going to be different and the system will use, what it considers, to be the slowest for all of them.  This may not lead to a stable system.

Use the 64 bit version of Windows 7.  It is fine now.

Many motherboards cannot support all 4 slots filled with RAM without some issues or without specifying exactly what is supposed to be in al 4 slots.  Check the documentation, for the mother board, and see what it considers appropriate sizes and speeds if using all 4 slots.

It still sound like you are having corruption problems to me.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:43:16 AM »
Sound like corruption problems to me too. I have NEVER had any computer of mine give me a "request to repair windows".

I'd wipe the drive clean and do a re-install. 8 meg of ram is plenty to run most stuff these days. Take the bestest, fastest matching set you have and in stick it in the primary set of slots and just run with that.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:00:19 AM »
Skuzzy and the Fugitive were right! I downloaded AVG and it found EID_PE_iscorrupted. According to AVG it steals resources and feeds information to hackers. It also allows access to your computer without your knowledge.

How'd the heck did it get there?! I don't use that computer for browsing. The other computer was clean.

The Fugitive, I'm taking out two sticks today and running 8 gigs.

The only thing I've downloaded is the Nvidia drivers. Other than that it was Windows updates.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:19:56 AM by Getback »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 10:31:18 AM »
As long as the computer is connected to the internet is is vulnerable to attack. Thats why a good firewall and virus protection is a must. On top of that comes good browsing habits.

Good luck, I hope it all works out.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 11:09:35 AM »
As long as the computer is connected to the internet is is vulnerable to attack. Thats why a good firewall and virus protection is a must. On top of that comes good browsing habits.

Good luck, I hope it all works out.

Is windows firewall good or is there another one that may be better?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 12:51:44 PM »
Windows firewall is relatively good if your modem has a firewall of its own. Most of them do. There are better firewall programs but you'd need deeper knowledge to configure them correctly. You can also make the Windows firewall as powerful as any other one, either by using its somewhat hidden advanced settings or a more user friendly third party GUI, neither of which I can't remember what to look for.

I've been happy with the basic Windows firewall in combination with my modem, added with good browsing habits and common sense in opening e-mails. <knocks on wood>
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed but so far it's been really good in the arena.